Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:36:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Katie Hopkins files for bankruptcy [split topic]

Started by Alberon, September 17, 2018, 01:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

I heard her about 3 years ago on the Jeremy Vine show talking about the partial lobotomy (only a slight exaggeration) she had to cure her epilepsy. I wondered if, as the joke goes, the surgeons accidentally threw away the good bit ha ha ha.

Anyway, the second person they interviewed in the segment was a doctor, who was there to provide the listening public with some actual useful general advice, you know - detached and objective, away from the personal and the anecdote.

So Hopkins interjected to 'correct' the Doctor who had used a phrase like '...people with epilepsy' to say "Epileptics". The Doctor explained why she preferred her phrase and Hopkins basically wouldn't listen, saying that as 'an epileptic' she had a right to call herself what she wanted. Which is fine, obviously - but we're not talking about you now, dear.

I just thought: OK, so that's her problem, is it? Can't stand to see a good, informative, interesting discussion that isn't completely about her.

Replies From View

Has she ever appeared on I Am A Self-Obsessed Cunt Who Never Listens?

Bad Ambassador

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Replies From View on September 17, 2018, 04:43:00 PM
Has she ever appeared on I Am A Self-Obsessed Cunt Who Never Listens?

Yep, 2009. Fifth place. Your mum won.

Butchers Blind

What about the dancing one, has she done that yet?  Or the cooking one, or the eat Bear Gryll's shit one?

Alberon

Those shows wouldn't have her. Channel 5 wouldn't even have her on that one where they keep minor celebs like Anthea Turner in shipping containers and watch them go mad with the isolation.

Dr Rock

While I am delighted at this news (and the story says her kids are going to be looked after), it shows that the legal fees in a libel action make it a huge gamble beyond the reach of those not already wealthy, and it's the lawyers that get rich (in their suit and ties), the actual award to the libelled is relatively small. Look at this case, it could've been decided at a small claims court with no lawyers involved.

Captain Z

Quote from: Alberon on September 17, 2018, 05:34:18 PM
Channel 5 wouldn't even have her on that one where they keep minor celebs like Anthea Turner in shipping containers and watch them go mad with the isolation.

You mean Neighbours?  they don't produce the show themselves anyway, it's made in Australia.

bgmnts

Is that even ethical? Solitary confinement is a mega punishment for a reason.

mr. logic

Is it true that she got her mixed up with another journalist?

Fucking hell.

wooders1978

She is married and her husband is fairly well to do by all accounts, does her going insolvent bugger him up as well?

Dr Rock

Quote from: bgmnts on September 17, 2018, 06:06:18 PM
Is that even ethical? Solitary confinement is a mega punishment for a reason.

Meh, I like it. Don't take away the internet or something to read though.

im barry bethel

Quote from: mr. logic on September 17, 2018, 06:13:10 PM
Is it true that she got her mixed up with another journalist?

Fucking hell.

Laurie Penny I think, must be the coloured hair

bgmnts

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 17, 2018, 06:22:59 PM
Meh, I like it. Don't take away the internet or something to read though.

Well exactly. As someone who has lived a sort of pseudo solitary life for years and years even wjth the infinite expanse of the internet and video games and books etc its fucking brutal.

Cuellar

I'd fucking love to be on my own in a room somewhere with fuck all to do.

I'm absolutely shattered.

That said I imagine it would drive someone like Hopkins round the bend in about a day. Put her on it.

She's so unlikable that she can't even resurrect her notoriety through Rebel Media, a place which somehow allowed Tommy Robinson to be a martyr-figure.

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on September 17, 2018, 06:04:02 PM
This is a real programme. Celebs in Solitary.

https://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/tvfilm/celebs-in-solitary-line-up-and-everything-you-need-to-know-about-channel-5-s-very-odd-show-a3933241.html

QuoteCelebs in Solitary will follow, well, celebs in solitary. The volunteers will be tasked with living alone for five days in an isolation pod.

Ooh, big deal.  Make it five years (edited down to one 60 minute documentary) and I might bother tuning in for a few moments.

Sebastian Cobb

I could get through 5 days just sleeping and wanking.

Dr Rock

The ad for the show is all serious and says stuff like 'after 24 hours most people hallucinate and go out of their tiny minds' and like nah.

idunnosomename

she is mentally ill and making fun of her is kind of a miserable endeavour. I suppose some people follow her but only because they're already reactionary, similarly mentally ill sociopaths

It's just sad she was ever given the oxygen of publicity in the mainstream media. Also that she was born 1975. Christ she looks wizened.

I wish more hate on Rod Liddle tbh

mothman

Christ, I can go for days without talking to anyone, and I have a job and a family. Posting here passes for a social life. Are ordinary people so dependent on interactions with other people they go mad without it?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 17, 2018, 09:43:58 PM
The ad for the show is all serious and says stuff like 'after 24 hours most people hallucinate and go out of their tiny minds' and like nah.

I've spent that amount of time in bed with a hangover. Admittedly it was a bit like the arse-end of Requiem for a Dream at the time.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 17, 2018, 09:48:00 PM
she is mentally ill and making fun of her is kind of a miserable endeavour. I suppose some people follow her but only because they're already reactionary, similarly mentally ill sociopaths

It's just sad she was ever given the oxygen of publicity in the mainstream media. Also that she was born 1975. Christ she looks wizened.

I wish more hate on Rod Liddle tbh

Or is she perhaps a reactionary gobshite?

Noonling

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 17, 2018, 09:43:58 PM

I am pretty sceptical of this myself. I certainly see how sensory deprivation might cause this within 24h, but that really isn't the case here. They still have stimulus, even if its very dull. Not to say solitary is a walk in the park - there's also a big difference between knowing you're doing it as part of a TV show with a definite end point and being locked up with no inkling of what your future will look like.

As for Katie Hopkins, perhaps a new programme could be made just for her:

Actually that's too cruel for anyone, even if someone volunteers.

Blue Jam

Quote from: im barry bethel on September 17, 2018, 06:23:30 PM
Laurie Penny I think, must be the coloured hair

That and the feminism, yeah. Laurie Penny wrote something about how she didn't have a problem with the vandalism of a war memorial, and Hopkins got her mixed up with Jack Monroe, who, unfortunately for Hopkins, is from a military family and has a brother who served in Iraq. She really picked the wrong target there.

Cuellar

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 17, 2018, 09:53:25 PM
Or is she perhaps a reactionary gobshite?

She turned up at the Tory party conference (?) in her wedding dress.

I think she's mentally ill.