Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:10:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Creating a physical prototype

Started by Colin Sanction, September 18, 2018, 11:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I've got an idea for a mechanical handheld device that I think has potential. I'm looking to make a physical prototype.

Are there any building tools that are readily available to use? Lego would be no use, maybe meccano? Are there any off the shelf building tools you could recommend?

Twed

Dex Sawash

Bhazor

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 19, 2018, 03:03:47 AM
Been done already

Ironically the only crowdfunded "robot" that didn't fuck its backers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY9KCOhYx74

buzby

Quote from: Special K on September 18, 2018, 11:00:41 PM
I've got an idea for a mechanical handheld device that I think has potential. I'm looking to make a physical prototype.

Are there any building tools that are readily available to use? Lego would be no use, maybe meccano? Are there any off the shelf building tools you could recommend?
Would Lego be no use because you need gears and driveshafts and it's not strong enough? You can weld the bricks together with MEK to make them stronger but it doesn't help with the power transmission components.

Unfortunately modern Meccano has a lot of plastic in it too, and they don't have any power transmission parts these days either. FischerTechnik (also this) maybe, or MicroRax?

Blue Jam

Captain Z

I can potentially 3d print it for you if you have a computer model.

Blue Jam

I am now looking at getting a prototype of an idea made and have found options at my local art school, which has a CAD/CAM workshop and does commissions. Artists tend to be open to talking to STEM types and working on arts science crossover projects and they're usually flattered to be approached, they love all that.

Another possibility is a hacklab. If you have one near you, see if they do open days and go in for a chat, you might get some recommendations.