Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:49:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PlayStation Classic

Started by The Boston Crab, September 19, 2018, 07:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Out for Chrimbo  Ninety quid. Rip off of the Nintendo idea but probably a great idea.

Can't be doing with links but now you know it exists you can look yourself.

Ff7,  tekken, ridge racer and many more games 

buzby

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 19, 2018, 07:54:06 AM
Out for Chrimbo  Ninety quid. Rip off of the Nintendo idea but probably a great idea.

Can't be doing with links but now you know it exists you can look yourself.

Ff7,  tekken, ridge racer and many more games
Twenty games, including Wild Arms and Jumping Flash. The Ridge Racer on there is Type 4, not the original one, which is a shame.

madhair60

It won't have the utter dross I grew up playing so not fucking arsed to be honest.

Sebastian Cobb

Never had a psx so mildly tempted by this one.

If it has the original resident evil  with the crap voice acting (it won't) then I'm in.

NoSleep

Couldn't you easily pick up an old PSX and the 20 games for less than the asking price of this? Old PSX CDs are very hard to make unplayable and will likely last forever (unlike the PS2 DVDs).

Phil_A

No doubt this'll be be jailbroken half an hour after it hits the shelves, but I'm guessing unlike the NES/SNES Classic you won't be able to get an entire games library on there given PS1 games are typically 700mb or thereabouts.

Still, thinking about it, mainly as the swap disc I had on my old PS1 broke into tiny fragments and I can't get a bloody replacement as no-one makes them now.

Bhazor

The last model of the original playstation was already the size of a CD player. So they've bloody gone backwards. The prigs.

Intrigued as to what the console will actually have given that unlike Nintendo most of the classic PS1 games are available pretty much everywhere.

I'm also keen to see the "oooooooooh this didn't age very well" realisation dawn. First generation 3D everyone. Before Mario 64 came along and threw everything else into a big toilet. You reckon it'll have croc?

Kelvin

Does it have wired controllers, or wireless?

Beagle 2

I still play PS1 games, but none that'll be on this. No Wipeout?

Even on the slick Sony promo video the games look like comprehensive dog sick.

I think... I think this might be the first piece of tat like this I don't actually want. A breakthrough.

Beagle 2

Quote from: Kelvin on September 19, 2018, 11:28:10 AM
Does it have wired controllers, or wireless?

Wired on the photos. Haven't turned my hacked NES classic on in over a year due to the wired controllers.

Bhazor

Yeah but wired controllers are so NOSTALGIC tho

That promo video is terrible but I do like how they highlight the on button as if its a feature. Those original PS1 framerates.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: NoSleep on September 19, 2018, 09:41:06 AM
Couldn't you easily pick up an old PSX and the 20 games for less than the asking price of this? Old PSX CDs are very hard to make unplayable and will likely last forever (unlike the PS2 DVDs).

You could pick up a raspberry pi 3 and a ps3 controller for less as well. It's a faff though.

Kelvin

Quote from: Beagle 2 on September 19, 2018, 11:31:21 AM
Wired on the photos. Haven't turned my hacked NES classic on in over a year due to the wired controllers.

Same reason I never got one. I'm not sitting 4cm from my TV screen to play a SNES. Last time I did that, it gave me epilepsy.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 19, 2018, 11:33:03 AM
You could pick up a raspberry pi 3 and a ps3 controller for less as well.

KLAXXON YOU MENTIONED THE RASPBERRY PI.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Bhazor on September 19, 2018, 11:11:15 AM
The last playstation was already the size of a CD player. So they've bloody gone backwards. The prigs.

Intrigued as to what the console will actually have given that unlike Nintendo most of the classic PS1 games are available pretty much everywhere.

I'm also keen to see the "oooooooooh this didn't age very well" realisation dawn. First generation 3D everyone. Before Mario 64 came along and threw everything else into a big toilet. You reckon it'll have croc?

Yes the tiny psone is ace, and obviously can play all the games - most of which you can pick up for a quid or so.

I quite agree though, the big problem with revival consoles of this generation is most of the games all look and play like turd now.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 19, 2018, 11:36:46 AM

KLAXXON YOU MENTIONED THE RASPBERRY PI.

Someone mentioned a cheap device that's good at emulating old games consoles in a thread about an expensive cash-in that emulates an old console? Well shit the bed!

Z

Along with the games aging poorly, especially the short bout ones a machine like this thrives with, the ps1 has a wildly disparate set of games whereas Nintendo pretty much told you what you would be playing each quarter

biggytitbo

You could put together a list of influential and historical important games to match anything the other gaming generations have but i think most of them would be pretty crappy to play in 2018.

Beagle 2

I hope they include Psychic Detective with a director's commentary and making of documentary.

popcorn

If Resident Evil is on it then I am NOT buying it.

boki

My PS2 still works, so it's a "Cigs" from me.

colacentral

Quote from: Kelvin on September 19, 2018, 11:35:04 AM
Same reason I never got one. I'm not sitting 4cm from my TV screen to play a SNES. Last time I did that, it gave me epilepsy.

You can get wire extensions on amazon.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: NoSleep on September 19, 2018, 09:41:06 AM

Yeah, and PS1 games are ridiculously easy to copy using a pc as well. A few games are still fairly expensive (Final Fantasy ones, Castlevania) but the majority can be picked up for about a quid each at car boot sales.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 19, 2018, 07:27:25 PM
Yeah, and PS1 games are ridiculously easy to copy using a pc as well. A few games are still fairly expensive (Final Fantasy ones, Castlevania) but the majority can be picked up for about a quid each at car boot sales.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the dreamcast? You needed a chipped playstation to play copied games or to do the swap trick, which can be a pain in the arse.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 19, 2018, 07:37:39 PM
Are you sure you're not thinking of the dreamcast? You needed a chipped playstation to play copied games or to do the swap trick, which can be a pain in the arse.

Ah, yeah, you're 100% right, I forgot that I had a friend who was able to do such things with ease back then, though I've lost touch with him since.

NoSleep

I think there was a fairly simple mod to allow PSX's to play copies of games on CDRs. Several people I know had it done to theirs.

But my point is that legit PSX games are cheap and, more importantly, can take the punishment dealt out by some former owners without ceasing to function. I have a copy of Suikoden that is completely split in one place, from the centre to the rim, and it plays perfectly (although that's an example of a game that has a high secondhand value).

NoSleep

I might change my mind about this machine if they put Final Fantasy Tactics on it.

Waking Life

I'm clearly stating the obvious, but the market for this won't be people who chipped their PlayStation or will be au fait with using a Pi. People like hassle free toys (perceived hassle or otherwise) and a recent conversation at work centred around the convenience of Netflix because there was no need to change the disc. With the broader appeal of the PlayStation games, it'll go down a storm as a Christmas gift.

Phil_A

Thought about it, I reckon I would probably be better off buying a chipped PS1 on ebay for £30 instead.

I'm not sure why they thought using Wild Arms as a selling point for this was a good idea, It's a reasonable early RPG on the system but I'm sure the 3D graphics were considered laughable even at the time.