Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:01:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PlayStation Classic

Started by The Boston Crab, September 19, 2018, 07:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Having the numpty original pads is going to limit the game choice isnt it? Or did all PS1 games support the digital controllers?

Consignia

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 19, 2018, 08:43:34 PM
Having the numpty original pads is going to limit the game choice isnt it? Or did all PS1 games support the digital controllers?

Not hugely. I think Ape Escape was the only one that required analog sticks.

buzby

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 19, 2018, 08:43:34 PM
The original dual analogue pad came out in April 97 (I bought an import one from Computer & Games Exchange in Soho). Before that there was Namco's NegCon, but that wasn't compatible with the Sony Dual Analogue (which meant some important games like WipeOut that had NegCon support didn't work with the dual analogue sticks either) IIRC almost every game released after that still offered  D-pad controls as a fallback.

It's not clear what the pad connectors are on this thing yet - it might be USB (from the pictures it's a scaled-down lookalike PS1 pad connector outer shell with a smaller USB-looking connector doing the actual work). I suspect the hardware is going to based on something like a cut-down PSP or Vita running Sony's existing PSOne emulator.

biggytitbo

I imagine a lot of the 3d games control even worse without it though. I honestly can't remember whether my PlayStation had the analogue controller or not, I think it did, but that could just be me remembering it that way because that's what we'd become used to subsequently.

Z

Quote from: Phil_A on September 19, 2018, 08:32:29 PMIt's a reasonable early RPG on the system but I'm sure the 3D graphics were considered laughable even at the time.
I dunno about Wild Arms, but I still quite like Grandia's 3D graphics

The analogue sticks are a false memory for PS1. Loads of wankers going on about it. Guess what, fuck off. You never had it then so fuck off.

Sebastian Cobb

I really don't know why Sony didn't redesign the placement of the thumbsticks for the ps2, when it became apparent analogue would be used a lot more. Their placement makes sense when they were a bolt-on for the PSX, likely in the wake of the N64, but they should've moved the left one to where your thumb naturally sits, like Nintendo did with the Gamecube and MS did with the xbox. I can't stand playstation controllers and I feel like I need to pop my double-jointed thumb out to use them.

Z

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 19, 2018, 09:55:43 PM
The analogue sticks are a false memory for PS1. Loads of wankers going on about it. Guess what, fuck off. You never had it then so fuck off.
Not only did mine have it, I've only seen one playstation controller in my life that didn't have them.

You're probably way above the age range this thing is targeting if you think most people's PS1 memories are firmly Wipeout 1 and Tekken 1 and Ridge Racer 1 and Jumping Flash 1 and Alundra 1 and so on.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 19, 2018, 09:59:27 PM
I really don't know why Sony didn't redesign the placement of the thumbsticks for the ps2, when it became apparent analogue would be used a lot more. Their placement makes sense when they were a bolt-on for the PSX, likely in the wake of the N64, but they should've moved the left one to where your thumb naturally sits, like Nintendo did with the Gamecube and MS did with the xbox. I can't stand playstation controllers and I feel like I need to pop my double-jointed thumb out to use them.
I bet they assumed they'd hit such a mainstream audience so successfully that they just assumed the audience would reject any other design.

Given that they done exactly that 5 years later when the weaknesses of the controller were glaringly apparent, Sony were probably right.