Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:17:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stan & Ollie

Started by Keebleman, September 20, 2018, 01:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keebleman

I had heard this had been mooted, but didn't realise it had actually been made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdcBNrjc3wo

I think Coogan looks and sounds terrific, Reilly not so much.  It's partly that he doesn't seem to have captured the sing-song southern sweetness of Ollie's voice, but mainly because his make-up recalls Mr Creosote.

hedgehog90

Replies From View

If you missed the Stan and Ollie biopic thread, you may well have also missed this Laurel and Hardy watch-along thread:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,69067.0.html

So there it is, just in case.  Sorry for the brief hijack; I shall not mention it again.

mothman

First thing I saw of this was a still, and immediately thought "Is that John C. Reilly? It is!" Bloody good makeup.

Shaky

Quote from: Keebleman on September 20, 2018, 01:17:51 AM
I had heard this had been mooted, but didn't realise it had actually been made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdcBNrjc3wo

I think Coogan looks and sounds terrific, Reilly not so much.  It's partly that he doesn't seem to have captured the sing-song southern sweetness of Ollie's voice, but mainly because his make-up recalls Mr Creosote.

I have to disagree, based on that trailer. Reilly looks and sounds the part but I can only really see Coogan.

Replies From View

Quote from: Shaky on September 22, 2018, 06:48:54 AM
I have to disagree, based on that trailer. Reilly looks and sounds the part but I can only really see Coogan.

Yes, it's Coogan with disconcerting blue eyes for me too.  Hopefully I am not too familiar with Coogan's work to be absorbed into this.

I can't forget that this is Steve Coogan. Can't see past it.

Wet Blanket

I had high hopes for this but that trailer suggests it'll be a very gentle, middle-ranking, grey-pound kinda film with not much going for it apart from the central performances. Like Hitchcock with Anthony Hopkins or that one where Tom Hanks played Walt Disney.

Replies From View

I want this to be gentle.

Replies From View

Seen this picture?  On the left is a photo taken while the dance in Way Out West was being filmed; on the right they have recreated it.

popcorn

Got it the wrong way round haven't they.

Replies From View

Quote from: popcorn on October 14, 2018, 06:59:09 PM
Got it the wrong way round haven't they.

No, the angle in the film isn't meant to represent a camera within the real-life scene.

If there was a camera behind the real Stan and Ollie that's more or less what you'd see.  I don't think it's meant to be a big "recreation of a classic moment" that Ollie glances backwards; just a nice fleeting moment to notice.

popcorn

Quote from: Replies From View on October 15, 2018, 12:28:50 AM
No, the angle in the film isn't meant to represent a camera within the real-life scene.

Oh really can you explain this more please.

Replies From View

cliggg

I saw the trailer for this when I was at the cinema last week and feel like I've seen the whole movie beginning, middle & end.

SpiderChrist

saw a preview of this in Cambridge just before Christmas, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Made with genuine affection and excellent performances from Reilly and Coogan. Preceded by a showing of The Music Box, which is always ace.

sevendaughters

saw this this evening. It felt slight and underwhelming. I desperately wanted to like it and saw the first screening I could as I was anticipating it since it was announced. But it feels like A BBC Telemovie and turns a promising idea into a genteel mush.

St_Eddie

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 06, 2019, 09:10:07 PM
...slight and underwhelming...

This is exactly what I expected, based upon the trailer.

mothman

It's the kind of thing I'd defintely watch when it's on TV (which it will be before the year is out, I'll bet) but wouldn't have gone to see even in my younger days of more intense and regular cinemagoing. Unless I was trying to cop off (unsiccessfully) with some other nerdy student girl.

Replies From View

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 06, 2019, 09:10:07 PM
saw this this evening. It felt slight and underwhelming. I desperately wanted to like it and saw the first screening I could as I was anticipating it since it was announced. But it feels like A BBC Telemovie and turns a promising idea into a genteel mush.

This is pretty much what I feared.  That and simply not being able to see past Steve Coogan to Stan Laurel.

Enrico Palazzo

Marc Maron's been talking about it like it's a masterpiece in his last couple of podcasts.

Glebe

Glebe

So the Q&A was sold out, but I went to see it elsewhere... thought it was very sweet and touching, funny and also quite sad in places. Coogan and Reilly are great in the roles. Stan's wife provided a lot of laughs too.

From the trailer I thought it was Dawn French playing the holiday camp lady, turns out it's Mrs. Cakeworthy from The Green Green Grass! Oh, and Ken the barman from Early Doors!

Btw, I saw it at the IMC in Dun Laoghaire, just up the road from the Royal Marine Hotel, where Stan and Ollie stayed when they were in Dublin... the hotel bar is named after Ollie, took a phone pic while I was passing last night:

the science eel

Quote from: Glebe on January 13, 2019, 12:10:51 AM
So the Q&A was sold out, but I went to see it elsewhere... thought it was very sweet and touching, funny and also quite sad in places. Coogan and Reilly are great in the roles. Stan's wife provided a lot of laughs too.

Agree with all of that apart from the last bit. I thought she was a caricature, that old mixed-metaphor thing 'foreign people' do when they speak English in films. They never get that shit right

Maurice Yeatman

Are Reilly and Coogan as good as Barker and Castle were in Another Fine Mess?

It's obviously been said before, but there's a definite family resemblance in Stan's great-granddaughter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXAK3rIAHWQ

Glebe

Quote from: the science eel on January 13, 2019, 12:46:28 AMAgree with all of that apart from the last bit. I thought she was a caricature, that old mixed-metaphor thing 'foreign people' do when they speak English in films. They never get that shit right

I just thought her manner was very funny thought, straight-up and rude.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on January 13, 2019, 01:14:24 AM
Are Reilly and Coogan as good as Barker and Castle were in Another Fine Mess?

It's obviously been said before, but there's a definite family resemblance in Stan's great-granddaughter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXAK3rIAHWQ

Disappointed that wasn't Oona Chaplin, not sure why I expected it would be.

the science eel

Coogan seems to be getting all the attention - at least here in the UK - but I thought Reilly's portrayal was actually quite a bit better. His accent didn't slip, for one thing...

Bazooka

Quote from: the science eel on January 13, 2019, 08:52:38 AM
Coogan seems to be getting all the attention - at least here in the UK - but I thought Reilly's portrayal was actually quite a bit better. His accent didn't slip, for one thing...

John C Reilly has no presence in the UK, Will Farrell despite being awful in almost all films is a massive name.

It should have been directed by Stan's son Clint Eastwood.