Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:57:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stan & Ollie

Started by Keebleman, September 20, 2018, 01:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Wet Blanket on January 16, 2019, 09:27:20 PM
I think a better film would have explored their fractious relationship with Hal Roach at the height of their fame and the schism that led to Laurel walking and Hardy being pared with another sidekick, rather than shoving all that in the first five minutes and then following it with 90 minutes of 'you used to be popular but you're not anymore, how sad.'

Agreed. The first five minutes are fantastic with that one tracking shot following them to the set. More of that would have been great.

Thinking about the part about nobody going to see them in the UK, it all turned out to be because their promotion was terrible. There wasn't a redemption story of Laurel and Hardy turning audiences around who had forgotten about them. It was simply nobody knew they were there but when they did, they came in their droves.   

neveragain

Quote from: Replies From View on January 16, 2019, 07:08:10 PM
I think the experience of making Atoll K could make for a compelling drama, with the hopes pinned on it, their deteriorating health, the immense let down of the entire project, but it would probably be quite depressing.

Yes, I thought that too. But I was happy with the film as well, for all it was uneventful.

buzby

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 14, 2019, 10:25:57 PM
Saw it today and really enjoyed it.
Struggled with Coogan as Stan. Not because of his performance, but purely down to him being unmistakably Coogan - which I know is unbelievably harsh.
Reilly was fantastic, and Stan's wife stole every scene she was in.
The Stan & Ollie routines were wonderfully done too.
Went to see it last night and agree with all this, though it was interesting to see Coogan doing such a good job of Laurel's physical mannerisms as his impersonations are normally based just around the voice.
Nina Arianda was great as Ida Laurel, and made the most of her screentime (as Rufus Jones' Bernard Delfont says in the film 'two double acts for the price of one'). Reilly's prosthetic makeup, especially as 1950s Ollie  was absolutely amazing - I don't think I've ever seen 'fat' facial appliances that moved so realistically before.

lankyguy95

I thought it was fantastic. Everything I hoped it would be. A really beautiful and funny film.

Was genuinely surprised how well Coogan and Reilly worked together given how odd a partnership the two of them are on paper. Reilly in particular was great. Coogan can't do anything about standing out as Steve Coogan at times but he was excellent and he had the mannerisms down perfectly.

the science eel

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on January 16, 2019, 10:16:48 PM
Agreed. The first five minutes are fantastic with that one tracking shot following them to the set. More of that would have been great.

Oh hell yeah. I was grinning from ear to ear for those first few minutes. But I had the same reaction to the opening scenes of Darkest Hour and a few other "historical films" over the last year or so.

Not saying this is a recent trend exactly, and it's not like they need to keep audiences in their seats (people rarely walk out of films, right?), but sometimes it seems directors spunk their load pretty quickly, before they get down to the main story.

DrGreggles

Prompted by the film I've been revisiting some Stan & Ollie stuff over the last few days.

I mentioned before that they're often what I turn to when I'm down in the dumps, and this clip is an absolute favourite: https://youtu.be/9BAEJyuReWQ
Stripped of all context it's still so joyous and so fucking funny.
Stan's reaction at 1:50 gets me every time.

Sin Agog

"And to think, no one knows you're really a man" killed.

hedgehog90

Quote from: hedgehog90 on September 20, 2018, 01:24:59 AM
This looks awful.

Back when I wrote that I never expected that I'd eventually go out and see this by my own volition.
Compared to the other crap I've had to sit through it rates pretty highly among my recent movie-going experiences.
I thought it was an interesting look at the relationship between a successful double act, and particularly touching towards the end.
Not extraordinary but pleasantly enjoyable.

Replies From View

Sorry guys - just a reminder that this Laurel and Hardy watch-along is still going on:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,69067.180.html

Seems to be getting no interest at the moment.  It's Laurel and Hardy!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I saw this the other day and the fact that I didn't feel compelled to look up this thread right afterwards probably says it all. It wasn't bad but, as others have said previously, it just felt like a telly special that found its way into the cinema somehow - Something that BBC4 would commission as the centrepiece of a Laurel and Hardy night.

The cast were all good, with Delfont and Mrs Laurel stealing every scene they were in. It is difficult not to just see Coogan through the performance, but he was brilliant when it came to imitating Laurel's onstage antics. I assume Danny Huston was doing someone a favour with his almost cameo role.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Glebe on January 13, 2019, 12:10:51 AM
So the Q&A was sold out, but I went to see it elsewhere... thought it was very sweet and touching, funny and also quite sad in places. Coogan and Reilly are great in the roles. Stan's wife provided a lot of laughs too.

That's pretty much my feelings towards it, it starts off a little patchily but then turns in to a lovely, gentle little movie that I liked a lot, and the performances are just fantastic.

Edit: It's now available btw, though out on dvd on the 26th (in the US at least, not sure about the UK) if you don't want to be a dirty film thief.

St_Eddie

I simply can not muster the energy to look upon this film, by way and usage of my eyes.

I hold nothing against it.  It's just that it's a bit of a 'bleurgh' prospect.  Beige.  It's a beige film.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 17, 2019, 12:21:26 AM
I simply can not muster the energy to look upon this film, by way and usage of my eyes.

I hold nothing against it.  It's just that it's a bit of a 'bleurgh' prospect.  Beige.  It's a beige film.

It's pretty good Eddie, there's a lot of warmth and relatability in the performances and it relies more on the characters and their relationship than plot contrivances, which I found to be refreshing as a film fan tired of the tropes and predictability of recent big-budget genre-cinema. Going to see it with my parents was one of the better days out that I can remember having recently & I only wish I knew people in my age group to watch such films with instead of having to pretend I'm totally psyched for Captain Marvel or whatever to stay socially active.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on March 17, 2019, 12:45:40 AM
It's pretty good Eddie, there's a lot of warmth and relatability in the performances and it relies more on the characters and their relationship than plot contrivances, which I found to be refreshing as a film fan tired of the tropes and predictability of recent big-budget genre-cinema. Going to see it with my parents was one of the better days out that I can remember having recently & I only wish I knew people in my age group to watch such films with instead of having to pretend I'm totally psyched for Captain Marvel or whatever to stay socially active.

Ah, dagnabit!  Now I'll have to watch it.  Stop encouraging me to enjoy things!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It is both beige and warm. Like a mug of tea.

St_Eddie

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 17, 2019, 01:07:21 AM
Ah, dagnabit!  Now I'll have to watch it.  Stop encouraging me to enjoy things!

Just making sure your critical faculties are well-calibrated in time for your teardown of that upcoming Critters TV series. :)

St_Eddie

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on March 17, 2019, 01:27:11 AM
Just making sure your critical faculties are well-calibrated in time for your teardown of that upcoming Critters TV series. :)

Thanks for the calibration, Lewis.  That's much better.

(is that too an esoteric reference?)

Replies From View

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 17, 2019, 01:14:40 AM
It is both beige and warm. Like a mug of tea the inside of The Thin Man's raincoat.

Morrison Lard

Decent 1080p rips of this are now doing the rounds in the usual places.

Replies From View

Quote from: Morrison Lard on March 18, 2019, 11:24:33 AM
Decent 1080p rips of this are now doing the rounds in the usual places.

I want to be part of the club please.

SteveDave

I thought this was quite lovely.

St_Eddie

Dr Rock

Quote from: SteveDave on March 21, 2019, 09:51:04 AM
I thought this was quite lovely.

I just watched it and thought it was BLOODY LOVELY.

popcorn

I thought it were crap and turned it off.

It is just two men poncing.

Glebe

Quote from: popcorn on October 12, 2019, 12:26:16 AM
I thought it were crap and turned it off.

It is just two men poncing.

Laughed.