Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:08:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mercury Prize 2018

Started by Icehaven, September 20, 2018, 11:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

I'm literally only starting this thread to say how it was just on the news as it's tonight and they showed a clip of an Arctic Monkeys video in which Alex Turner appears to be attempting to turn into Nick Cave, and to ask who the fuck let him do that?
But it was weird enough to see the news mentioning the Merc at all, it feels like years since that happened. Does anyone (except Lily Allen apparently) actually give a toss about it anymore?

Norton Canes

Thought I was quite up to speed on this but I've just checked the list of previous winners and realised the last one I remember were 2014's Young Fathers. As for this year, the only album on the shortlist I've listened to much of is Nadine Shah's Holiday destination, and it was pretty good, so hope that wins.

Elegant Slumming, though. They'll never top that.

Icehaven

The last time I remember hearing anything much at all about it was the Speech Debelle debacle and that was (holy shit) 9 years ago.

sevendaughters

love how XL Recordings or its subsidiary get a nom every single year, must be because they're so good!!!!!!!!111

yeah Alex Turner is into American things now

buttgammon

Quote from: icehaven on September 20, 2018, 12:21:22 PM
The last time I remember hearing anything much at all about it was the Speech Debelle debacle and that was (holy shit) 9 years ago.

Scary stuff! That's still one of the worst albums I can ever remember hearing.

I'm not much use in this thread, having not heard a single album that has been nominated. The same goes for last year's nominations.

sevendaughters

I've heard

- Arctic Monkeys. Hideous afraid-of-real-feelings lounge-rock by increasingly contemptuous fucks.
- Florence & the Machine. Bombastic oversung indie that splits the difference between Patrick Wolf and John Lewis.
- King Krule. Probably the rightful winner but not as good as the debut. The new Rip, Rip, and Panic but white and on codeine.
- Noel Gallagher. Insipid goal of the month shite.

Icehaven

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 20, 2018, 12:23:05 PM

yeah Alex Turner is into American things now

Then why is he trying to channel an Australian who lives in Britain?

Icehaven

Quote from: buttgammon on September 20, 2018, 12:57:15 PM
Scary stuff! That's still one of the worst albums I can ever remember hearing.

Legend (such as it is anyway) has it that the judges really couldn't agree on who should win so they gave it to the only nominee that none of them thought should. I can almost believe it apart from vaguely remembering the exact same rumour doing the rounds after M People won.

poodlefaker

Sons of Kemet, I reckon. They feel like more than the Token Jazz entry, there seems to be some actual buzz about the record. If they do win, they'll never be heard of again, obv.

sevendaughters

Quote from: icehaven on September 20, 2018, 01:50:39 PM
Then why is he trying to channel an Australian who lives in Britain?

i mean i wasn't exactly replying to you even though you brought it up but it's basically an LA record, after making a bluesy AM radio rock record they're now writing for an imagined cocaine rock concept film about the loneliness of having it all as shot by Wes Anderson, also I think of that 'lounge lizard' persona that Nick Cave sort of took on as being essentially an American concoction, these are just off the top of my head thoughts, don't scrutinise them.

Icehaven

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 20, 2018, 02:26:44 PM
i mean i wasn't exactly replying to you even though you brought it up but it's basically an LA record, after making a bluesy AM radio rock record they're now writing for an imagined cocaine rock concept film about the loneliness of having it all as shot by Wes Anderson, also I think of that 'lounge lizard' persona that Nick Cave sort of took on as being essentially an American concoction, these are just off the top of my head thoughts, don't scrutinise them.

Fair doos, and I only saw about 3 seconds of the video but he just looked so much like Nick Cave, had the signature hair and open massive-collared shirt and everything. No idea what it sounds like though, there wasn't any sound.

Dannyhood91

I'm off to see those Sons of Kemet guys in Leeds

Icehaven

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on September 20, 2018, 04:49:51 PM
I'm off to see those Sons of Kemet guys in Leeds

Their album title amused me, does David Icke make a guest appearance?
I reckon they might have won actually as they got a huge standing ovation when they played, and the presenter quoted some positive stuff the judges have said about them but hasn't about anyone else.

Icehaven

So many saxophones, think only 3 of the 12 haven't had one.

Icehaven

Well I was wrong, Wolf Alice won. They were also the last to perform and because they won are now playing again, the same song, less than 15 minutes after we just heard it. As you were, let this thread now sink without trace as it deserves.

non capisco

I quite like Wolf Alice but imagine them punching the air now going "YESSSS THEY THINK WE ARE AS GOOD AS M PEOPLE!"

I quite like the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons but imagine them punching the air last year going "YESSSS THEY THINK WE ARE AS GOOD AS HENRY KISSINGER!"

Aaaaahhhhh.

Norton Canes

Wolf Alice, huh? Remember them playing at the library here in town a few years ago.

Wolf Alice. Mercury winners, huh. Well there you go.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

They should be quite happy about this. I feel obliged to ask the singer " Why the long face? "

Clownbaby

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 21, 2018, 08:16:28 AM
They should be quite happy about this. I feel obliged to ask the singer " Why the long face? "

Seemed like she was obviously a bit shocked and nervous given that she left the stage quickly each time and let another remember of the band do the little speech?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I was just making a hilarious joke actually, Missus. You know, like how you'd say " Why the wide face ? " to Sophie Ellis - Bextor.

Hello all ladies out there, I hope you appreciate my deliciously non- PC humour, and please understand that I'm not the least bit funny a face-ist.

Clownbaby

Ah right just the "they should be quite happy about this" had me wondering if you were saying "miserable cow"

Sophie Ellis Bextor's face is wide as shit, no disagreement there

Put a tin cup in a bludnderbuss and fire it in some young cunts' faces. That's the mercury musical prize.

Vodka Margarine

The most obvious thing to me about the Mercurys is how you never get any of the truly obscure, jazzy, classical, folky stuff that is unfailingly nominated year after year ever actually winning. I know it's a running joke but it seems to continue in reality. Why don't the 'panel' just be honest and make the whole event about marketable but crucially vaguely indie content and leave out the tokenistic stuff once and for all because surely by now it's nothing but insulting?

Bazooka

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 21, 2018, 10:02:43 PM
Put a tin cup in a bludnderbuss and fire it in some young cunts' faces. That's the mercury musical prize.

Correct, and its music journalism/awarding painting by numbers.

Literally no memory of making that post but turns out I wholeheartedly agree with my id.

sardines

It costs 190 quid to enter an album
And Marcus Mumford was a judge this year
Anyone who enters is literally paying to enter Marcus Mumford literally

Hat FM

Quote from: sardines on September 22, 2018, 01:30:40 PM
It costs 190 quid to enter an album
And Marcus Mumford was a judge this year
Anyone who enters is literally paying to enter Marcus Mumford literally

i thought it was a load more than that? you have to pay for your table and stuff like that too?

Hat FM

Quote from: Hat FM on September 26, 2018, 10:42:04 PM
i thought it was a load more than that? you have to pay for your table and stuff like that too?

just checked and yes it is £190. looked at the list of judges. is it normally this er...white?

QuoteThe 2018 Hyundai Mercury Prize judges are: Clara Amfo - Broadcaster & DJ; Danielle Perry - Broadcaster & Writer; Ella Eyre - Musician and Songwriter; Harriet Gibsone - Deputy Editor, The Guardian Guide; Jamie Cullum - Musician and Broadcaster; Jeff Smith - Head of Music, 6 Music and Radio 2; Lianne La Havas - Musician and Songwriter; Marcus Mumford - Musician and Songwriter; Mike Walsh - Head of Music, Radio X; MistaJam - DJ & Broadcaster; Phil Alexander - Creative Director, Kerrang!/Contributing Editor, Mojo; Will Hodgkinson - Chief Rock & Pop Critic, The Times. The Chair of the judging panel is Jeff Smith. The judging process is coordinated by David Wilkinson, Chairman/Executive Producer, Mercury Prize.

king_tubby

Is any variety of metal still banned from this?

Cuellar