Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:22:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Put on silly voices in comedy

Started by Brundle-Fly, September 20, 2018, 12:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

I do this

EDIT: What a way to start a page

Gulftastic

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 21, 2018, 05:57:46 PM
Already been obligatorily linked in the thread, Alby.

Harry Enfield's barking impression of the then Home Secretary Douglas Hurd in Spitting Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP6CbYu3T7Y

Speaking of Enfield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEsFtiruIok

Alberon

billyandthecloneasaurus

Thought Paul Foot was quite silly voicey when I saw him at the fringe this year.  I also thought he was AWFUL.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Cuellar on September 20, 2018, 11:47:22 PM
I pretty much hate all Eric Idle's voices, like his cockney one. In fact all the Pythons when they're pretending not to be as posh as they are.

How posh were they though, really? Eric Idle's dad was a flight sergeant in the RAF, after he died Eric was brought up on the Wirral by his mum, who was a health worker. Cleese's dad sold insurance in Weston-super-Mare. Chapman's dad was a copper in Leicester, Jones' dad a bank clerk in Colwyn Bay. They were clever boys rather than posh boys. Most of the time they were pretending to be far posher than they were.

I like most silly voices in comedy, except Emo Phillips and Gilbert Gottfried.

Ghughesarch

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on September 26, 2018, 05:43:47 PM
How posh were they though, really? Eric Idle's dad was a flight sergeant in the RAF, after he died Eric was brought up on the Wirral by his mum, who was a health worker. Cleese's dad sold insurance in Weston-super-Mare. Chapman's dad was a copper in Leicester, Jones' dad a bank clerk in Colwyn Bay. They were clever boys rather than posh boys. Most of the time they were pretending to be far posher than they were.
They were posh enough to have parents who sent them to private schools (except Chapman who was at Melton Mowbray Grammar and Idle, who was at an odd state boarding school in Wolverhampton), and clever enough to have been Oxbridge students. From that point on, moderately humble lower middle class backgrounds cease to have much relevance. They could all, quite easily, have ended up as Tory life peers.

thenoise

Horrible Histories has lots of silly voices (and many other traditional sketch show tropes).  The cavemen grunting at each other and hitting each other over the head remind me of the gumbies.

neveragain

Quote from: Ghughesarch on September 26, 2018, 10:33:14 PM
They were posh enough to have parents who sent them to private schools (except Chapman who was at Melton Mowbray Grammar and Idle, who was at an odd state boarding school in Wolverhampton), and clever enough to have been Oxbridge students. From that point on, moderately humble lower middle class backgrounds cease to have much relevance. They could all, quite easily, have ended up as Tory life peers.

It seems this is a problem for you.

Ghughesarch

Quote from: neveragain on September 27, 2018, 11:16:26 AM
It seems this is a problem for you.
No, but they weren't pretending, on the whole, to be all that much more posh than they were.

Autopsy Turvey

>>They could all, quite easily, have ended up as Tory life peers

Or indeed, more likely, Labour ones. Education paid for by hard work and thrift is no measure of poshness.