Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:38:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sean Lock live

Started by Bobby Ralgex, September 20, 2018, 04:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

But you sort of have to take 'subjectivity' as a given on Comedy Chat et al otherwise most threads would last about three posts.

A: I think Lennie Bennet wasn't funny.

B: I did actually.

A: Fair enough

B: Your mum..etc

Close thread.

rasta-spouse

QuoteI used to like the Eddie Izzard 90's DVD's. I saw him live twice in the 2000's and he was fucking lazy shit.

Didn't make me laugh whatsoever.

After Dress To Kill there's a massive drop in quality. You've got to catch these guys before success ruins them and they go off the boil mate.

Bobby Ralgex

That's what I mean! I'm expressing an opinion that a few on here don't share. I don't like Sean Lock live because he isn't very funny. I like his appearances on 8 out of 10 etc and think 15 Storeys high ism piss funny. I just think his stand up stuff is bad. Really unfunny. It's not structured very well and just isn't funny.

up_the_hampipe

Once saw Sean Lock at a benefit show pissed out of his mind. Probably one of the funniest sets I've ever seen. Maybe we should give him more booze?

Bobby Ralgex

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 20, 2018, 05:48:46 PM
But you sort of have to take 'subjectivity' as a given on Comedy Chat et al otherwise most threads would last about three posts.

Close thread.

Oh come on. Someone disagrees with you shocker!

That was piss poor.

petril

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 20, 2018, 05:48:46 PM

Close thread.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Bobby Ralgex on September 20, 2018, 05:10:36 PM
No, as I said, comedy is subjective. I think Sean Lock is funny. He's fucking unfunny live. You might think he's marvellous live.

Are you a fucking moron? I've told you.

Now fuck off and leave me alone.

I don't even think he's that good live. I am very much enjoying the fact you called me aggressive when I wasn't, then reacted with increasing aggression in every subsequent post. Fair play though, the old 'new poster tries to make a name for himself with over the top persona' thing doesnt come up often nowadays, good to see it get an airing.

BeardFaceMan

How is it you think 15 Storeys High is all kinds of ace but his stand up is arse personified when 15SH uses his stand up material?

Bobby Ralgex

Ah well played!

I've just fucking said I've been a member here for ten years, which you didn't really read or couldn't be bothered to take notice of.

I'm bored now. No wonder i hardly post of here if you are the standard of tedious cunts who post on here.

Bobby Ralgex

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 20, 2018, 06:26:11 PM
How is it you think 15 Storeys High is all kinds of ace but his stand up is arse personified when 15SY uses his stand up material?

Fuck me, what is it with you guys?

I laugh at 15 Storeys, but don't laugh at his fucking stand up. Is that cllear?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Maybe write slightly  more detailed posts, giving examples of the hilarity of 15SH, and the direness of his live act ?

Utter Shit

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 20, 2018, 06:31:43 PM
Maybe write slightly  more detailed posts, giving examples of the hilarity of 15SH, and the direness of his live act ?

Just stopping being a dickhead for no reason would be a start.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Bobby Ralgex on September 20, 2018, 06:29:50 PM
Fuck me, what is it with you guys?

I laugh at 15 Storeys, but don't laugh at his fucking stand up. Is that cllear?

Just trying to engage with you based on what youve posted, thats what you're whining that you want isnt it? So, genuine question if you can be bothered, when he performs, say, the bit about swearing at the airport, which is near enough identical material in both his stand up and 15SH, why is one shit at the the other great? Have a go at thinking about it.

Bobby Ralgex

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 20, 2018, 06:32:59 PM
Just stopping being a dickhead for no reason would be a start.

Oh magnificent advice.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I watched one of his standup shows on the telly a few years ago. I know I laughed a fair bit, but the only thing I can remember is him swinging the mic around like a ball and chain. I've not seen him on Live at the Apollo, but no one seems to be any good on that.

15 Storeys High is one of my favourite sitcoms. I can't compare it to any of the shared material in his stand up act, but in general his live persona is more cheerful. Add to that the fact that it's being performed by different actors/characters in 15 Storeys High and you have a couple of reasons why one might be funnier than the other.

Bobby Ralgex

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 20, 2018, 06:34:44 PM
Just trying to engage with you based on what youve posted, thats what you're whining that you want isnt it? So, genuine question if you can be bothered, when he performs, say, the bit about swearing at the airport, which is near enough identical material in both his stand up and 15SH, why is one shit at the the other great? Have a go at thinking about it.

Well the one in the episode is well within context, which is funny. I love the fact that the 15sH is really grim sitcom, bleakness personified. I know that he used a lot of his stuff on this and again in his other stuff. This material is better than his live stuff. And I know the radio stuff was great too.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Beyond the very of-its-time visual style, I've never really found it that bleak. Sure, Vince is a miserable loner, but the show as a whole is no less silly than something like Father Ted.

Deyv

Sean Lock dead is hilarious, though. If anyone disagrees with me, I'm willing to get aggressive over this.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Bobby Ralgex on September 20, 2018, 05:58:23 PM
Oh come on. Someone disagrees with you shocker!

That was piss poor.

You're missing the point, Bob. It's not about whether we agree or disagree about the quality of Sean Lock's live work but about the value of mentioning 'subjectivity' all the time on a comedy discussion board.

It's a given We all know people have different tastes.

gmoney

Quote from: Bobby Ralgex on September 20, 2018, 06:45:29 PM
Well the one in the episode is well within context, which is funny. I love the fact that the 15sH is really grim sitcom, bleakness personified. I know that he used a lot of his stuff on this and again in his other stuff. This material is better than his live stuff. And I know the radio stuff was great too.

I don't think you've seen either his stand up or 15 Storeys High.

Bobby Ralgex

I've seen both.

Christ, this site really knows how to alienate people.

sevendaughters

don't know if you got the memo but stand-up today isn't meant to be funny, you're just meant to agree.

Z

He's an okay standup who had most of his weirder instincts beaten out of him by playing it safe to success.

If 15 Storeys High had more fans, or if his career after it wasn't so successful, I bet he'd've done way more interesting stuff both on stage and off. Probably somewhere in between Vince and his normal character.

BeardFaceMan

I think he's said that he was put off making another sitcom after the amount of work that went into 15SH and the way the BBC treated it so he went down the panel show route instead, more money, less work.

metaltax

Quote from: Bobby Ralgex on September 20, 2018, 08:33:15 PM
I've seen both.

You showed up and made a statement about your opinion on a subject you admit is subjective and not necessarily popular. You didn't pose a question, you didn't invite debate, you didn't come at it from a new or interesting angle. What did you expect was going to happen?

Fambo Number Mive

OP, can you give examples of jokes Sean Lock told during his standup that you didn't find funny?

the science eel

Quote from: Bobby Ralgex on September 20, 2018, 08:33:15 PM
I've seen both.

Yep. They're mostly nasty arseholes with serious mental issues.

Once you accept that (and maybe sort of feel sorry for them) then you might feel a bit easier about things.

Brundle-Fly

Twit 2

I've cried laughing at his stand up. If you don't find him bellowing and scuttling about as a deranged Aussie Madonna funny then there's no hope for you.

https://youtu.be/8wdMrtRvizk
(6.55)