Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:46:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's your favourite thread subject that keeps being deleted?

Started by dallasman, September 20, 2018, 11:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dallasman

I know Barry Admin has a bugbear about certain types of threads, and certain kinds of insults. Needless to say, he's a faultlessly gracious and tolerant host as well as valued poster, but he has limits. Sometimes people - knowingly or not - push his buttons and it's just too much of this now and a line has been crossed. Sometimes it's being a dick, sometimes it's just like "This again? Seriously? Is anyone not sick to the legends of these by now? Fucking veto, dude." And you can't say fairer than that. Still, some of us never get sick to the Legend Garys of anything, and would like everything to keep going full speed illegal volume maimed pedestrian gang atrocity party time. I know I have my favourites, but I'm curious to hear about yours.

To get the ball rolling, though, I'll nominate threads asking questions you can Google. What kind of sick mind would turn against the concept of man-to-man consultation? Here's one: What's a pun, and what's a thing people think are puns but isn't? Like "party fowl". Is that a pun, or just wordplay? Does this doodle art make it one?

That's ballpoint and magic marker btw. Surprised at how it came out in the scanner. Anyway, lots to get into here, I'll throw it open to everyone. fuckitpostthread

Howj Begg

Personally, I've been curious for ages as to why you have that avatar. It's my least favourite on all of cab, if I'm honest.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

dallasman

Quote from: Howj Begg on September 21, 2018, 12:11:09 AM
Personally, I've been curious for ages as to why you have that avatar. It's my least favourite on all of cab, if I'm honest.

Your honesty is appreciated, but off topic.

Howj Begg

Hmm. But you've been lowering that bait for years, and a fish is finally biting. I'd really like to know. But if you don't want to engage, that's fine. I'll let you get on with it.

dallasman

Quote from: Howj Begg on September 21, 2018, 12:39:08 AM
Hmm. But you've been lowering that bait for years, and a fish is finally biting. I'd really like to know. But if you don't want to engage, that's fine. I'll let you get on with it.

Very well. It's a painting I made while I was playing with my kid and I like the way it looks. It vaguely and accidentally resembles my mother, so I figured it'd make a good avatar as a semi-plausible, red, hairless me. At one point, I decided to class it up with a real hat that I expertly Microsoft Painted onto the head. That looked so good I decided to add a signature, like on a famous painting. For a while I had it hanging like a mask on a pole at (or near) the South Pole, next to the Norwegian flag, behind Scott and his men. If I could animate it, I might've had it delivering Bjørge Lillelien's famous drunken "your boys took one hell of a beating" speech from when Norway beat England at football that one time in 1981. I thought you people prided yourselves on getting irony. You might be American actually, though, so maybe that's why you hate me and my stupid username and avatar, and why you possibly suspect it of being a racist caricature or some shit. Fucked if I know, as you people (you may very well be British or something else too of course) say. But I really have to go to bed now.

Howj Begg

I don't believe a word of that origin story, and I know the first place I saw that picture was on DSMO.

Goodnight.

dallasman

Quote from: Howj Begg on September 21, 2018, 01:16:32 AM
I don't believe a word of that origin story, and I know the first place I saw that picture was on DSMO.

Goodnight.

I assume this is funny to you somehow, but you're just being a cunt for no good reason. Far as I know, we've never interacted, and I'm not in the habit of randomly shitting on other posters. So where's this coming from? If you genuinely think I made any of that up, you're obviously not right in the head, so fair enough in that case. If you just enjoy being nasty to lower-rung posters, sort yourself out.

Crisps?

For the record, while I haven't noticed you being a bad poster, I have also always disliked your avatar - which you're aware looks racist but use anyway - but assumed there was some ironic value that justified it, otherwise someone here would have taken issue with it before and you wouldn't be using it. Apparently not though, and this is the first time.

dallasman

Quote from: Crisps? on September 21, 2018, 04:53:06 PM
For the record, while I haven't noticed you being a bad poster, I have also always disliked your avatar - which you're aware looks racist

I'm aware of that being well within the imagination of most CaBbers, so when Howj referred to it as "bait", that was my assumption. Which race does it rememble, and what does it say about people of that race?

Jockice

Quote from: dallasman on September 21, 2018, 05:05:36 PM
I'm aware of that being well within the imagination of most CaBbers, so when Howj referred to it as "bait", that was my assumption. Which race does it rememble, and what does it say about people of that race?

Red people. They're bastards.

Crisps?

Quote from: dallasman on September 21, 2018, 05:05:36 PM

What does having an avatar like that for years just to start a conversation about "most Cabbers" and race/racism say about someone?

Replies From View

I can't think of any thread subjects that keep being deleted, to be honest.  Are there any?

dallasman

Quote from: Crisps? on September 21, 2018, 05:25:03 PM
What does having an avatar like that for years just to start a conversation about "most Cabbers" and race/racism say about someone?

You tell me. I was trying to start a joke thread, and threw in some silliness and a drawing. If you read the page again, you'll find it was Howj Begg who brought up my avatar. I explained where my avatar came from. Then you posted.

dallasman

Quote from: Replies From View on September 21, 2018, 05:29:52 PM
I can't think of any thread subjects that keep being deleted, to be honest.  Are there any?

I'm on shaky ground there, and I'll be the first to admit that. I seem to recall one of these "parody title" threads was locked not too long ago, though. I might be mistaken, but I had to put something in the OP.

Replies From View

Quote from: dallasman on September 21, 2018, 05:36:49 PM
I'm on shaky ground there, and I'll be the first to admit that. I seem to recall one of these "parody title" threads was locked not too long ago, though. I might be mistaken, but I had to put something in the OP.

I'm not bothered by threads being locked.  There are many valid reasons for doing that, including egocentrics spamming the forum with their own (usually very poor) work or forming a routine of argumentative and self-destructive behaviour that becomes just too much for even the most tolerant moderator to have to endure.

Threads being deleted is far more rare.  It probably says something about their worthlessness that I can't remember any of them.  Maybe you could shed light on some specific ones that weren't instantly forgettable or shit?  Otherwise it is impossible to know what you are fishing for.

Crisps?

Quote from: dallasman on September 21, 2018, 05:32:19 PM
You tell me. I was trying to start a joke thread, and threw in some silliness and a drawing. If you read the page again, you'll find it was Howj Begg who brought up my avatar. I explained where my avatar came from. Then you posted.

Yes, you explained that you had your avatar "hanging like a mask on a pole at (or near) the South Pole, next to the Norwegian flag, behind Scott and his men", and Howj Begg didn't believe you.

I posted to state that I also didn't like the avatar, and now also don't believe you're simply innocently or ironically using an image that you admit you believe looks racist to most people here.

Crisps?

Okay, you explained that "It's a painting I made while I was playing with my kid and I like the way it looks. It vaguely and accidentally resembles my mother, so I figured it'd make a good avatar as a semi-plausible, red, hairless me. At one point, I decided to class it up with a real hat that I expertly Microsoft Painted onto the head. That looked so good I decided to add a signature, like on a famous painting. For a while I had it hanging like a mask on a pole at (or near) the South Pole, next to the Norwegian flag, behind Scott and his men.", and Howj Begg didn't believe you.

I posted to state that I also didn't like the avatar, and now also don't believe you're simply innocently or ironically using an image that you admit you believe looks racist to most people here.

dallasman

Quote from: Replies From View on September 21, 2018, 05:46:19 PM
I'm not bothered by threads being locked.  There are many valid reasons for doing that, including egocentrics spamming the forum with their own (usually very poor) work or forming a routine of argumentative and self-destructive behaviour that becomes just too much for even the most tolerant moderator to have to endure.

Threads being deleted is far more rare.  It probably says something about their worthlessness that I can't remember any of them.  Maybe you could shed light on some specific ones that weren't instantly forgettable or shit?  Otherwise it is impossible to know what you are fishing for.

Um, eh...yeah. You're either deliciously trolling me (maybe you all are!?!), or being a little too literal about the intent of the thread. It's really just a tortured meta-joke and an excuse to post a cool doodle I made at work earlier this week. Call it LOLRANDOM if you will, because it is. However, I am genuinely a little fuzzy on what constitutes as pun, and whether this example qualifies or not, and hoped that might get a serious answer. Shows how much I know. The words "party fowl" pop into my head at work, and the next thing you know, I've decided to draw atttention to my years and years of subliminal race baiting by inviting people to slag off my avatar.

kittens

Blue Jam

That painting just looks like a red Gilbert The Alien to me.

Back on topic, I could really do with a cheap kitchen.

Replies From View

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 21, 2018, 07:50:39 PM
That painting just looks like a red Gilbert The Alien to me.

I'm getting a big-fan-of-Noel-Fielding vibe.

Here you are - a video of Noel Fielding in his element:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcgYhCjNgHA

ZoyzaSorris

All seems a bit over the top dunnit?
I wouldnt worry mate. Someone sent me a pm to tell me to change my avatar (think they were a bit aergers or ocd or something, i mean it was pretty disgusting. A funny face drawn on my severely injured gaping foot)

Cuellar

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Cuellar on September 21, 2018, 08:07:34 PM
I like that snowman with a gun so I nicked it sorry

Seems a bit racist too. Would go see it as a movie.