Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:16:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's your favourite thread subject that keeps being deleted?

Started by dallasman, September 20, 2018, 11:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dallasman

Quote from: Replies From View on September 21, 2018, 08:03:07 PM
I'm getting a big-fan-of-Noel-Fielding vibe.

I am delighted to tell you I've only seen him on Buzzcocks and QI, and am lukewarm at best.

Quote from: Cuellar on September 21, 2018, 08:07:34 PM
I like that snowman with a gun so I nicked it sorry

That is also excellent news. I've done tons of them, though I nicked the idea from The Simpsons ep "Mountain Of Madness". I recently started a new job that has magic markers, so I did this:

The kitty one was the only one with any sort of idea, so I posted that in another thread. I'm fascinated by the pastel-ness of the colours as captured by the scanner. They're so thick and fluorescent on paper, but come out almost like paint. These guys could be avatars too:

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 21, 2018, 08:13:34 PM
Seems a bit racist too. Would go see it as a movie.

Did Jack Frost have a gun?  Not the shit kids one with Batman, the other one.

dallasman

As for my old racist avatar, here's the rest of the series. I think you'll notice a common thread.

Replies From View

Brundle-Fly

dallasman

Ah well, if there aren't going to be any serious nominations, I'll just go with an offensive ethnic stereotype in blueface. I fucking double dare the paranoiacs not to report me for Nazism over that one. Since kittens has weakly decided to stay mute, I'll leave you with some puppies:

dallasman

Seriously though, if anyone would like to post some puns and non-puns, I think everyone would enjoy that, and maybe even learn a little something along the way. Like "party fowl". Pun or not? People may have differing views, it could get heated and fascinating. I could Google it, but I actually managed to save Better Call Saul for tonight, and I'd rather learn about stuff like that laughing.

Replies From View

Oh the thread is about puns now?  Hard to keep up with this hectic Noel Fielding style of randomness, if I am honest.  He isn't my cup of tea, but I will do my best to help you match him.

How about "WATER YOU DOING" with a picture of a man looking at some confusing water.

Cuellar

I don't know if you're a racist or not but the optics of a dallasman avatar could be damaging to my brand, so I think I'm going to change it.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Replies From View on September 21, 2018, 10:02:01 PM
Oh the thread is about puns now?  Hard to keep up with this hectic Noel Fielding style of randomness, if I am honest.  He isn't my cup of tea, but I will do my best to help you match him.

How about "WATER YOU DOING" with a picture of a man looking at some confusing water.

"Ice to see you, Eskimos" says a 19th century English bastard to a group of indigenous folk, whilst raping land that isn't his.  That's both a pun and a bit racist cos of the "Eskimos", so it should get a good score.

dallasman

Quote from: Replies From View on September 21, 2018, 10:02:01 PM

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 21, 2018, 11:37:12 PM
"Ice to see you, Eskimos" says a 19th century English bastard to a group of indigenous folk, whilst raping land that isn't his.  That's both a pun and a bit racist cos of the "Eskimos", so it should get a good score.

I think those definitely are both puns, yeah. Replies' for sure. Needs more explanation, but we're doing it. You see, the original gag was that I was doing one of these soundalike thread titles, and as I mentioned, some people are fed up with them. To fit the not-a-punning title, I had to contrive a premise whereby these were actually being deleted, and offered an example of the kind of thread whose legitimacy might be called into question by spoilsports. I've noticed some thread titles basically being questions you can look up on your own, and that's a thing to complain about. So this thread is basically about the same topic as its near-namesake, making it doubly pointlessless. It needed at least one actual proposition to which readers could respond, though, so why not the horrible punning (?) title of the blasphemous doodle? Since this thing with puns came up in a Steve Hoffman thread recently, I picked the question of what is technically a pun and what are some examples of things people think are puns but strictly speaking aren't. It was pointed out by one of the better posters that the thread all about "puns in rock" was full of non-puns, and I'm not sure I spotted all of them. If I Googled "party fowl", I might find out it's a band, and that would ruin the fun. Likewise "Tong In Chic". Someone probably thought of that decades ago and made a picture too. That's not a pun (right?), but can it be wordplay if it's just a picture? This seemed like the kind of thing that might interest comedy nerds, so if the doodle didn't do it for ya, the inside baseball talk might make it worth your click and scrolling time. I mean, I've seen frivolous threads on general bullshit with even less effort put into them, and definitely on more offensive topics. I certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition, ha ha. But no matter how unfounded and ridiculous, I thought these allegations at least gave me an excuse to post some more of my doodles and paintings, by way of putting my be-hatted hate crime in context. And with that, my thread rip-roared to a double-page blockbusting success. Maybe even triple? I threatened elsewhere to post some slightly NSFW pictures, and I was just struck that not only does Donald's girlfriend slightly look like a lady at work; she seems to fit an Aryan ideal I've subconsciously been worshipping trough my art. Maybe the thread should be about my Nazi rape fantasies instead? Look closely enough, and you'll find it's neither lol nor random.

I painted those after my kid had gone to bed, obviously. She has long brown hair and she's at her mother's this weekend.

jobotic

How is Party Foul a pun? I don't get it. If it was a bird tripping a striker over in the penalty area and it was a Fowl then cool.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: dallasman on September 21, 2018, 11:51:28 PM
I think those definitely are both puns, yeah. Replies' for sure. Needs more explanation, but we're doing it. You see, the original gag was that I was doing one of these soundalike thread titles, and as I mentioned, some people are fed up with them. To fit the not-a-punning title, I had to contrive a premise whereby these were actually being deleted, and offered an example of the kind of thread whose legitimacy might be called into question by spoilsports. I've noticed some thread titles basically being questions you can look up on your own, and that's a thing to complain about. So this thread is basically about the same topic as its near-namesake, making it doubly pointlessless. It needed at least one actual proposition to which readers could respond, though, so why not the horrible punning (?) title of the blasphemous doodle? Since this thing with puns came up in a Steve Hoffman thread recently, I picked the question of what is technically a pun and what are some examples of things people think are puns but strictly speaking aren't. It was pointed out by one of the better posters that the thread all about "puns in rock" was full of non-puns, and I'm not sure I spotted all of them. If I Googled "party fowl", I might find out it's a band, and that would ruin the fun. Likewise "Tong In Chic". Someone probably thought of that decades ago and made a picture too. That's not a pun (right?), but can it be wordplay if it's just a picture? This seemed like the kind of thing that might interest comedy nerds, so if the doodle didn't do it for ya, the inside baseball talk might make it worth your click and scrolling time. I mean, I've seen frivolous threads on general bullshit with even less effort put into them, and definitely on more offensive topics. I certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition, ha ha. But no matter how unfounded and ridiculous, I thought these allegations at least gave me an excuse to post some more of my doodles and paintings, by way of putting my be-hatted hate crime in context. And with that, my thread rip-roared to a double-page blockbusting success. Maybe even triple? I threatened elsewhere to post some slightly NSFW pictures, and I was just struck that not only does Donald's girlfriend slightly look like a lady at work; she seems to fit an Aryan ideal I've subconsciously been worshipping trough my art. Maybe the thread should be about my Nazi rape fantasies instead? Look closely enough, and you'll find it's neither lol nor random.
I painted those after my kid had gone to bed, obviously. She has long brown hair and she's at her mother's this weekend.

Crisps?

Is party foul/fowl something people in the UK say? It sounds like some weird Americanism about some weird American behaviour and therefore something I refuse to Google.

dallasman

Quote from: jobotic on September 22, 2018, 12:00:01 AM
How is Party Foul a pun? I don't get it. If it was a bird tripping a striker over in the penalty area and it was a Fowl then cool.

It's American "bro" lingo for a faux pas, I believe. Obviously, Donald has transgressed against his lovely companion in some way - this was probably directly influenced by partyin'; represented here by a bottle and cigarette.

Staying on topic, here's a song called Sirius Moonlight:

https://soundcloud.com/bruno-faetten/sirius-moonlight/s-mGqcy

Here's one called Dog Star Cowboy:

https://soundcloud.com/bruno-faetten/dog-star-cowboy/s-QPNnH

And a real epic one called Smegmata. It really should have guitars instead of those corny-ass samples, but you get the general idea. Heck, all of these are meant to be performed by musicians, but even with fake everything, the choirs at 7:20 are one of my favourite bits I've done.

https://soundcloud.com/bruno-faetten/smegmata-2015/s-lqWU3

Are any of them puns? No, as written, these are all mere wordplay, I'm pretty sure. Could they be made into puns? I'm going to have a think about that when I get horizontal in a second. It's been a week of long days, but I'm very happy that I'm (apparently) not universally considered a racist scumbag.

dallasman

He he, oh, and this... It's not a pun, but pretty much on topic at this point. Throw in the period "album art" (originally a poster ad for our demo) and you have a real fitting closer. The lyrics crib from Tom Waits and Lovecraft, and it's mercifully not me singing (just fucking up every other guitar line).

https://soundcloud.com/bruno-faetten/the-lurker/s-zBVAS

Howj Begg

Okay well I was very drunk last night so I did overstep what i would normally do - ie I mentioned something that's not my business. I want to apologise to you dallasman, assuming I am wrong. See the problem is that I'm 90% sure I have seen that picture on DSMO, and that means one thing. But if you're saying it's of you or your mother, fine, I'm wrong. I unequivocally apologise, and I'm sorry for imputing incorrect meanings to the picture and thus to you. I'd like you to understand that picture disturbed and confused me from the moment I saw it, which would have been when you first started posting a couple of years ago, and I've felt very queasy about it ever since. I'm not going to lie, I think I may have been influenced by some of your opinions as expressed in certain threads. But leaving that aside, I don't know you, and there's a good chance that I am wrong, about the DSMO thing as much as anything else.

I am mega glad you've changed it though. You're also a good artist, and that story about your kid is sweet.

dallasman

Quote from: Howj Begg on September 22, 2018, 12:59:06 AM
Okay well I was very drunk last night so I did overstep what i would normally do - ie I mentioned something that's not my business. I want to apologise to you dallasman, assuming I am wrong. See the problem is that I'm 90% sure I have seen that picture on DSMO, and that means one thing. But if you're saying it's of you or your mother, fine, I'm wrong. I unequivocally apologise, and I'm sorry for imputing incorrect meanings to the picture and thus to you. I'd like you to understand that picture disturbed and confused me from the moment I saw it, which would have been when you first started posting a couple of years ago, and I've felt very queasy about it ever since. I'm not going to lie, I think I may have been influenced by some of your opinions as expressed in certain threads. But leaving that aside, I don't know you, and there's a good chance that I wrong, about the DSMO thing as much as anything else.

I am mega glad you've changed it though. You're also a good artist, and that story about your kid is sweet.

I genuinely don't know what DSMO is, and I didn't Google that either. Apology accepted.

dallasman

Quote from: Howj Begg on September 22, 2018, 12:59:06 AM
Okay well I was very drunk last night so I did overstep what i would normally do - ie I mentioned something that's not my business. I want to apologise to you dallasman, assuming I am wrong. See the problem is that I'm 90% sure I have seen that picture on DSMO, and that means one thing. But if you're saying it's of you or your mother, fine, I'm wrong. I unequivocally apologise, and I'm sorry for imputing incorrect meanings to the picture and thus to you. I'd like you to understand that picture disturbed and confused me from the moment I saw it, which would have been when you first started posting a couple of years ago, and I've felt very queasy about it ever since. I'm not going to lie, I think I may have been influenced by some of your opinions as expressed in certain threads. But leaving that aside, I don't know you, and there's a good chance that I am wrong, about the DSMO thing as much as anything else.

So, have you had a chance to find that picture and compare it to my avatar yet? I eventually Googled DSMO, and all the results seemed to be about some kind of medical treatment, so as you might expect, I'm more confused than ever. And I don't think it's too much to ask that you explain what the fuck it actually was that made you attack me in the first place. I accepted your apology because it was late and there was nothing left to say, but I can't say the annoyance has entirely subsided, and now I'm curious as well. If you thinking you saw my avatar on DSMO means "one thing", it shouldn't take you too long. So, please humour me here; use your imagination if you have to. Pretend like I wasn't running a psyop with my avatar, and tell me what "DSMO" is, what kind of picture you saw there, and why you couldn't just go back and check it. (I don't even know if DSMO is an internet site, but I assume that's what "on DSMO" meant, rather than you being high on DSMO and seeing things). Anyway, you can have your apology back if you're that uneasy about it, but I actually think you owe me an explanation.

Zetetic

Replies From View

Zetetic

It could mean more than one thing.

But here it means the defunct website Don't Start Me Off, which I've just provided a link to some background on.

bgmnts

dallasman

Quote from: Zetetic on September 24, 2018, 07:46:21 PM
It could mean more than one thing.

But here it means the defunct website Don't Start Me Off, which I've just provided a link to some background on.

And here^, "here" means your post.

Zetetic

No, in Howj Begg's posts in this thread, on CaB in general.