Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:54:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brockhampton - iridescence

Started by up_the_hampipe, September 21, 2018, 12:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

It's finally here! Only listened to half of it so far, but there's some really wonderful tracks already, namely Thug Life and Weight. Tonya, which they performed on Fallon, is also on there. One of the most interesting and consistently brilliant groups out there. They certainly seem to be doing fine without Ameer, which is a great relief.

Ja'moke

First listen and sadly I'm not feeling it, which is a real shame because I loved the majority of the Saturation trilogy. Not sure what it is. It feels less purposeful? A bit directionless.

Also way too much Joba who I just find really cringeworthy and not a very good rapper. I mean, Merlin and Matt Champion aren't great rappers either to be fair, but they have a natural charisma. Joba feels so forced. Dom is lyrically the best of the group but lacking in personality. Basically I want more Kevin Abstract.

I will definitely be giving it more listens and hoping it grows because I enjoyed their other projects so much. Maybe it's just Brockhampton fatigue seeing as they release so much music, but yeah, disappointing on first listen.

up_the_hampipe

The vibe of the album is sort of a mix between Death Grips influence and Kevin Abstract's American Boyfriend album (which I loved). It's not wall to wall bangers, but I might prefer it to at least one of the Saturation albums.

Clownbaby

Death Grips influence?

I'm tentatively in

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Clownbaby on September 21, 2018, 11:43:45 AM
Death Grips influence?

I'm tentatively in

On some of the songs, aye. One being the vid they put out yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkLPFi4fmug

Z

Is the Ameer loss an issue? He was fairly charismatic in an oddly boring way that's far more useful than someone like Joba (who worked well on Boogie but fuck all else)... I can see it messing up some tracks that they don't have him to fall back on, potentially to the point that I'd be more interested in just hearing a Kevin Abstract solo album.

up_the_hampipe

It's no great loss, but his presence is certainly missed. He was always a standout voice, even early on when I had no idea who was who in this giant bunch.

Z

Looking at some live clips, are they somewhere near being really huge at this stage?

I mean, Boogie is by far their best song but look at this crowd at Reading https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atZXm3twnI0 This is a band that were billed beneath Sum 41 on posters.

Ja'moke

Their new album sold 106k, so yeah, they're pretty big at this point.