Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:03:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I don't recycle

Started by Twed, September 21, 2018, 03:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yesitsme

Girl in here doesn't use her food recycler - she's not in to saving the planet one uneaten spud at a time.  They flush all theres.

Red MandMs, Blue MandMs, they all end up the same colour.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twed on September 21, 2018, 02:02:58 PM
Helps increase the shredded straw count

Doesn't that mean they turn into problematic microplastic quicker?

Twed

It also means I can't claim a zero shredder footprint.

Buelligan

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 21, 2018, 02:01:48 PM
How does shredding straws help the environment?

It doesn't.  And I bet he doesn't pedal his fucking shredder either. 

Don't buy straws or use them, that's what would help.

Cuellar

What do you do with straws you already own? Partner bought a huge box of them in Ikea years ago and we still have them in a draw, getting stuck in things and generally narking me right off.

Burn them? Cut them up and throw them away? Lash them together and steal peoples' drinks through open windows?

Buelligan

Take them back to Ikea, let them deal with the consequences.

FredNurke

Ikea will pound them flat with the giant mechanical buttocks.

Blinder Data

So really Twed is saying "I can't be arsed to drive 10 miles to recycle" rather than "I can't be bothered to recycle at all"

Your solution is to put pressure on the local authorities to provide better recycling facilities and pick-up. If I was in your position I would probably collect various recyclable materials in crates and then drive to the plant but that's because I love the planet and am not a selfish monster, I guess

I'm sort of joking but people who don't recycle (especially when there's an easy option) are pricks. Pure and simple. Pricks.

Quote from: FredNurke on September 21, 2018, 03:31:01 PM
Ikea will pound them flat with the giant mechanical buttocks.

And then fashion them into placemats named FLÄTTESTRÄU.

yesitsme

I like the way we say 'Ban Substance A' but 'Replace it with just as bad B'

Like electricity for cars is just created out of thin air, or the steel straws you see people using are made from eco-friendly panda faces.

Everything you use is fucking the planet, the only thing you can do is drink from a glass like an adult.

Mind you, nothing's worse for the environment than glass is it?  Have you ever been to St Helens?

All drinks must now be consumed from a damp cloth.

Cloth full of Tennant's please pal.

Sebastian Cobb

If done right the electricity for cars can come out of the air, or the sky; they're a good example of a device that can be load-following and take power from the grid when it's in abundance.

Quote from: yesitsme on September 21, 2018, 03:48:46 PM
I like the way we say 'Ban Substance A' but 'Replace it with just as bad B'

Like electricity for cars is just created out of thin air, or the steel straws you see people using are made from eco-friendly panda faces.

Everything you use is fucking the planet, the only thing you can do is drink from a glass like an adult.

Mind you, nothing's worse for the environment than glass is it?  Have you ever been to St Helens?

All drinks must now be consumed from a damp cloth.

Cloth full of Tennant's please pal.

Shades of grey though, innit.

Whilst power stations are generating the electricity that powers an electric car, a power station is far more efficient than a tiny little internal combustion engine, plus it improves air quality in built up areas*.

*Unless you have a power station in the middle of your town/city.

Twed

Quote from: Blinder Data on September 21, 2018, 03:36:31 PM
So really Twed is saying "I can't be arsed to drive 10 miles to recycle" rather than "I can't be bothered to recycle at all"
Pretty boring to make up other people motivations to suit your need to appear morally superior.

Quote from: Blinder Data on September 21, 2018, 03:36:31 PMYour solution is to put pressure on the local authorities to provide better recycling facilities and pick-up. If I was in your position I would probably collect various recyclable materials in crates and then drive to the plant but that's because I love the planet and am not a selfish monster, I guess
Cool, can I nominate things massively time-consuming things I've decided you need to do in order to not appear morally bankrupt too?

Quote from: Blinder Data on September 21, 2018, 03:36:31 PMI'm sort of joking but people who don't recycle (especially when there's an easy option) are pricks. Pure and simple. Pricks.
You've made no argument about why it's better for me to drive a polluting vehicle some distance to take plastic to what is likely to be a landfill. Be thoughtful instead of just judging. Tell me to batch things so that the trip has less overhead (something I'm not keen on because it would get smelly living in an apartment) or something.

im barry bethel

Quote from: Cuellar on September 21, 2018, 09:15:02 AM
Barely anything can be recycled, it turns out. Everything should come in paper bags.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 21, 2018, 02:01:16 PM
Rather than sending my jars to the recycling plant I tend to use them for...

Bloody hipster

Cuellar

Is it really made from recycled CD cases? How would you ever know? Marketing gimmick.

yesitsme

Quote from: Cuellar on September 21, 2018, 07:23:28 PM
Is it really made from recycled CD cases? How would you ever know? Marketing gimmick.

If you hold them up to your ear you can hear The Christians.

mothman

Our council took our nice big black wheelie-bins away and replaced them with slimline ones. So we have to recycle - box for tins, bottles and cartons; bags for plastics and cardboard. We're on a fortnightly collection for the bin (recycling goes weekly) so we're screwed otherwise, you can't get enough in the bin. We're cynucal about how much recycling actually gets done but circumstances have forced us into it. As far as anyone can tell the new bins are universal, not just the non-Tory parts of a majority Tory council...

We don't food recycle though. Nobody on our street does. In our case because somebody accidentally repeatedly stamped on the food caddy when it was first delivered. Just after an argument with his wife who insisted they'd have to food recycle because the council said so, and just before he got locked out of the house for ten minutes while all the shattered bits of plastic were picked up off the driveway.

Buelligan

Quote from: Twed on September 21, 2018, 07:07:04 PM
Pretty boring to make up other people motivations to suit your need to appear morally superior.
Cool, can I nominate things massively time-consuming things I've decided you need to do in order to not appear morally bankrupt too?
You've made no argument about why it's better for me to drive a polluting vehicle some distance to take plastic to what is likely to be a landfill. Be thoughtful instead of just judging. Tell me to batch things so that the trip has less overhead (something I'm not keen on because it would get smelly living in an apartment) or something.

In fairness, old darling, you are one of the posters here who is most forthright in your uncompromising criticism of others for infringements that yank your particular chain. 

I thought you were trolling with the OP, I couldn't quite believe that someone as out-woke as you appear to be could ever honestly hold the apparent views you seem to on this issue.  But there we are, it's not a joke. 

You have enough brain to work out what you should be doing about this, I suspect you are too lazy and want others to support you in that.  Well, I don't.  Pull your fucking socks up.

pancreas

Oh Christ. Better get some popcorn. But what flavour?

bgmnts

I feel all these beefs and arguments are recycled.

Hehe

Dr Rock

yesitsme

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 24, 2018, 11:08:11 AM
What time was it shown? Bond films used to be suitable for kids didn't they, possibly instilling a love of the character for life. I can't see kids liking the gritty gonad-smashing new Bond films very much even if they were allowed to see them edited or uncut. Not being able to take the kids to a Bond film, or allowing them to watch one on a sunday afternoon may come back to bite the franchise.

'And Bond.....'
'Yes Q?'
'Don't forget it's Blue Bin this week....

James Bond will return in The Spy Who Wouldn't Sort His Paper from His Plastic!

Dex Sawash

Quote from: pancreas on September 24, 2018, 10:35:15 AM
Oh Christ. Better get some popcorn. But what flavour?

Sweet Dick Willies for me

madhair60

Sebastian Cobb

Do you actually have to rinse out your tins or does the recycling plant have a machine for that? Why do people meticulously wash a tin of chopped tomatoes but not a tin of irn bru?

Twed

Quote from: Buelligan on September 24, 2018, 10:17:56 AM
In fairness, old darling, you are one of the posters here who is most forthright in your uncompromising criticism of others for infringements that yank your particular chain. 

I thought you were trolling with the OP, I couldn't quite believe that someone as out-woke as you appear to be could ever honestly hold the apparent views you seem to on this issue.  But there we are, it's not a joke. 

You have enough brain to work out what you should be doing about this, I suspect you are too lazy and want others to support you in that.  Well, I don't.  Pull your fucking socks up.
The laziest thing of all is to go online to document your laziness and ask for feedback about it, right?

Look, you are not a shining beacon of virtue. You've smoked, right? You've owned a petrol-consuming vehicle for recreation, no?

http://www.who.int/tobacco/research/economics/rationale/environment/en/

You can't just identify things that aren't part of your lifestyle and use them as a way to talk down to other people. If you really can't see that there is a value judgement in choosing not to help the environment in the designated ways and instead putting more pressure on companies and avoiding packaging then maybe you're being thoughtless.

Buelligan

Quote from: Twed on September 24, 2018, 03:29:14 PM
You can't just identify things that aren't part of your lifestyle and use them as a way to talk down to other people.

I agree.  Do you think that's the only reason anyone ever comments on choices made by others when they've offered up those choices for comment? 

Twed

I don't think we're achieving much by assuming each other's motivations! ARE WE REALLY SO DIFFERENT BUELLIGAN

royce coolidge

Didn't we used to send most of our plastic abroad to China and other Asian nations ?
But China put a ban on in January and I seem to remember reading we would have to burn or landfill most of it as we don't have the means to recycle it,what a fucking shambles.

Twed

Quote from: royce coolidge on September 24, 2018, 07:37:53 PM
Didn't we used to send most of our plastic abroad to China and other Asian nations ?
But China put a ban on in January and I seem to remember reading we would have to burn or landfill most of it as we don't have the means to recycle it,what a fucking shambles.
That's my understanding.