Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:28:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"The River", a film I saw in my dream

Started by canadagoose, September 21, 2018, 04:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

Written on my phone at about 5am, so excuse shit writing please. What do you think? A reasonable art house film or an absolute load of trA .S .H?

NB: the characters have no names but "Firth" looked and sounded like Colin Firth and "Reeves" looked and sounded like Vic Reeves, hence the pseudonyms.

Scene with "Firth" and woman (long light brown hair) in the river, evening (dark). It's in the middle of the film but the world is flooded and something odd has happened to it. He takes a red shoe out of the water for her but it's the wrong size. Finds a teal one that's size 5. Policeman finds her and she goes willingly and says goodbye. Both are upset. Police takes backpack off her and puts it in cupboard at riverbank. Puts her in back of submerged police van and she presumably drowns. Firth gets the bag when policeman isn't looking and goes downstream.

Comes ashore, ends up in a town which seems fairly normal. Time around 10pm. Sees a church (although it is just a doorway between shops) and a scruffy looking man outside says "Go on in!" he goes in, but the man in there just takes the backpack and kicks him out. He then sees "Reeves" and sees scruffy guy urging him to go in. Firth tries to warn him but he is too late. He has his bag taken too and is kicked out. They meet, and then look around and notice the town is full of human-looking automatons. The scruffy guy sits at the pub except when someone approaches the church, when he rushes there to beckon visitors in. The chip shop has a queue of automatons who go to the pub with a pie one by one then come back and stand in the queue. Firth and Reeves decide to leave, and the automatons all turn to look at them as they run away back to the water.

They both have these boards that are like cardboard but they don't disintegrate in the water. Water is faster flowing this time. Firth has written "quid faciam?" on his. Reeves says "oh, that's good, so the police can't understand it" Firth says "yeah, but that's all the Latin I know". Two policemen in some kind of raft spot them and go after them. Gets a bit like a farce here. Firth and Reeves hold onto their boards and use them as flotation aids, or "flat boats" as Reeves calls them. There are these platforms that Firth and Reeves go under, but the police bash into them as if they can't avoid them. The police lose track of Firth and Reeves, and after a bit, they find land, except more police are waiting for them. They just give up and hand themselves in and they go off into the water where they came from, but the camera stays on the land, which starts at a half submerged road with traffic lights at the water's edge and has three dogs frolicking on it, but is otherwise deserted. The credits roll and "Use It Up and Wear It Out" by Odyssey plays, fading in from the middle of the song.