Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:59:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 and other stuff

Started by Alberon, September 21, 2018, 06:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

With the new season coming up maybe it's time for a new thread. Season 2 isn't due till next year, but much sooner is a series of four 'Short Treks' set around the USS Discovery. They're to be released one a month with the first due at the beginning of October.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O59Qf2g7gXs

Here's the short synopsis for each one, spoiler protected if you're worried about that sort of thing.

"Runaway" (Thursday, Oct. 4) — "Onboard the U.S.S. Discovery, Ensign Tilly (Mary Wiseman) encounters an unexpected visitor in need of help. However, this unlikely pair may have more in common than meets the eye."

Written by Jenny Lumet and Alex Kurtzman. Directed by Maja Vrvilo.

"Calypso" (Thursday, Nov. 8) — "After waking up in an unfamiliar sickbay, Craft (Aldis Hodge) finds himself on board a deserted ship, and his only companion and hope for survival is an A.I. computer interface."

Teleplay by Michael Chabon. Story by Sean Cochran and Michael Chabon.
    Directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi.

"The Brightest Star" (Thursday, Dec. 6) — "Before he was the first Kelpien to join Starfleet, Saru (Doug Jones) lived a simple life on his home planet of Kaminar with his father and sister. Young Saru, full of ingenuity and a level of curiosity uncommon among his people, yearns to find out what lies beyond his village, leading him on an unexpected path."

Written by Bo Yeon Kim & Erika Lippoldt. Directed by Douglas Aarniokoski.

"The Escape Artist" (Thursday, Jan. 3) — "Harry Mudd (Rainn Wilson), back to his old tricks of stealing and double-dealing, finds himself in a precarious position aboard a hostile ship — just in time to try out his latest con."

Written by Michael McMahan. Directed by Rainn Wilson.

Each Short Trek will be between 10-15 minutes long and looking at that schedule I think we should expect the second season proper to start around February 2019.

In other news a twitter post has suggested that the Picard series might be set in the year 2399, which roughly fits with the continuity as established. Star Trek Nemesis was set in 2379 and was released in 2002. If true I assume it's doing that to take the series into the 25th Century (though, of course, that century won't actually start until 2401).

mothman

I was just thinking it's a good omen, new Who and new Trek coming out so close together. It reminded me of when "Dalek," the first ep of revived Who to feature a, well, Dalek, and ST:ENT "In A Mirror, Darkly," the first appearance of a PROPER (Constitution-class) starship in Star Trek for a long time, came out about a week apart.

Alberon

Here's the trailer for the first Short Trek 'Runaway'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVRstMA7KJs

It's due 4th October, but in the US only so far. I suspect five nanoseconds after it is released it will be available in the usual places though.

mothman

It beggars belief sometimes quite how blinkered CBS are about the international markets ("non-domestic," I suspect they probably say). Like anything their product earns abroad somehow doesn't count. But then, I guess to a lot of Yanks nothing that happens abroad really counts, to them. It's like, would it really kill them to make their trailers available internationally? Are they worried that if they even admit the existence of Netflix (specifically as a channel that shows Discovery) then people (Americans) night think they can watch it there too, and stop signing up to their precious All Access?

olliebean

I assumed Netflix didn't have it in the US. Am I wrong?

Alberon

In America it's on the CBS download service. Internationally Netflix has the rights to the series.

The recently disgraced Les Moonves (then CBS CEO) remarked that Discovery had paid for itself in international sales before it had aired. So they do understand the importance but it's odd they missed the Short Treks.

mothman

That's to all intents & purposes shorthand for "Netflix basically paid for the whole thing" which is what people were suspecting even before season 1 aired.

Which means that any revenue from CBSAA is profit. Which means that they're ploughing some of that into the Short Treks, likely in a vain hope that it will entice everybody in the US, who didn't sign up to watch s1 (but watched by other means), and will be tempted by a few glorified webisodes. Seems to me there might be a flaw in their logic.

Blumf

Alberon

Quote from: mothman on September 29, 2018, 04:51:12 PM
That's to all intents & purposes shorthand for "Netflix basically paid for the whole thing" which is what people were suspecting even before season 1 aired.

Which means that any revenue from CBSAA is profit. Which means that they're ploughing some of that into the Short Treks, likely in a vain hope that it will entice everybody in the US, who didn't sign up to watch s1 (but watched by other means), and will be tempted by a few glorified webisodes. Seems to me there might be a flaw in their logic.

I believe the thinking is that they can get subscribers to remain by always having new Trek of some sort arriving on a regular basis. So you have Discovery on for a quarter of a year, another few months with new webisodes and, eventually, limited series like the new Picard one.

mothman

Your logical is irrefutable, L'Bron. LLAP. \\//

However, Trek overload almost certainly contributed towards the franchise's virtual hiatus from 2005, so it feels like a strategy that could backfire.

Malcy

mothman

Ooh. There's a winged shape there in the middle of it. What's going on there? The obvious guess is... Romulans! Either that, or Vorlons, a Babylon 5 crossover (it won't be this).

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on October 02, 2018, 05:17:38 PM
Ooh. There's a winged shape there in the middle of it. What's going on there? The obvious guess is... Romulans! Either that, or Vorlons, a Babylon 5 crossover (it won't be this).

Probably the figure that was seen in the trailer. Think it's some sort of space Angel that will turn out to be a space devil.

mothman

Chairman Yang

You know if it turns out the second series is full of sentient clouds and backlot planets I'd watch the hell out of it. Give a red-shirt some "powers man was not meant to meddle in"; some fucker from Game of Thrones can be Trelane. Go big!

mothman

Just been looking at a picture of William Campbell as Trelane and wondering who could be recast as him. Luke Evans comes to mind. Or - Thomas Brodie-Sangster.

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on October 03, 2018, 06:04:49 PM
Just been looking at a picture of William Campbell as Trelane and wondering who could be recast as him. Luke Evans comes to mind. Or - Thomas Brodie-Sangster.

He was the inspiration for Q. So much so that I think a book had him revealed as a member of the continuum.

mothman

Yeah, forget the name (it's got a 'Q' in it, unsurprisingly) but I recall it being quite good. Has alternate timelines in it.

Alberon

The first Short Trek 'Runaway' is out. It's almost fifteen minutes long and it is a typical webisode type thing. It's mostly a two-hander with Tilly and an alien and it's mostly shit.

mothman

What the fuck was that?

It was either the CW doing a parody of a Voyager-era Trek episode... or vice versa. Tilly is always good fun, but seriously. It almost feels like a back old pilot for the teeny Starfleet Academy show they're planning.

Malcy

Quote from: Alberon on October 05, 2018, 05:31:18 PM
The first Short Trek 'Runaway' is out. It's almost fifteen minutes long and it is a typical webisode type thing. It's mostly a two-hander with Tilly and an alien and it's mostly shit.

Keeping in line with DSC then.

Malcy

Few more names have apparently been trademarked by CBS in addition to Reliant & Destiny.

The titles that may or may not be in the works by CBS include Star Trek: Revolution, Star Trek: Destiny, Star Trek: Reliant, Star Trek: Starfleet Academy, Star Trek: Lower Decks and, last but not least, Star Trek: Ceti Alpha V.

They seem a bit obvious so I'm not totally convinced.

Mister Six

Revolution and Destiny are super generic.

Why would they need to trademark them anyway? Surely putting Star Trek on the front does the job of protecting that title?

Blumf

Quote from: Malcy on October 06, 2018, 12:59:43 PM
Few more names have apparently been trademarked by CBS in addition to Reliant & Destiny.
QuoteStar Trek: Starfleet Academy,

Bit of a mouthful, surely ST: Academy is fine.

QuoteStar Trek: Lower Decks

Bow-chika-bow-wow

mothman

(in case anybody don't know, it's a reference to an episode of TNG which follows the duties of some junior officers on the Enterprise-D. One of very few Trek eps from that period which played with the established format of the show, which Just Wasn't Done back then)

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on October 06, 2018, 09:53:28 PM
(in case anybody don't know, it's a reference to an episode of TNG which follows the duties of some junior officers on the Enterprise-D. One of very few Trek eps from that period which played with the established format of the show, which Just Wasn't Done back then)

A great episode. It was considered as a series format based on how well it was received but never came to anything. Until possibly now. I'm sure I read that Sito was considered for a DS9 appearance at some point.

olliebean

Fucksake, why is Twitter's video quality so utterly shit? If I'd made a thing I was proud of, I'd be embarrassed to advertise it via a trailer on a medium with such shit video quality.

Also, why does a Netflix trailer turn up on Twitter before it's on Netflix?

Malcy

Quote from: olliebean on October 06, 2018, 11:03:52 PM
Fucksake, why is Twitter's video quality so utterly shit? If I'd made a thing I was proud of, I'd be embarrassed to advertise it via a trailer on a medium with such shit video quality.

Also, why does a Netflix trailer turn up on Twitter before it's on Netflix?

I couldn't find a YT link and I couldn't even get me the Twitter link full screen without several problems. And why do they always have massive hardcoded subtitles?

mothman

January 18? Either that's a typo (i.e. it's January 2019), or the show starts on Friday 18 January.