Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:18:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 and other stuff

Started by Alberon, September 21, 2018, 06:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on February 10, 2019, 11:50:50 PM
I don't think there's much legal prohibition between film and TV, really, the only thing I can recall (poorly) is around use of film elements (mainly plot ones I think) in TV shows.

It's just occurred to me that one thing they could have done to tie in canon would have been to have the two serious flashbacks we've seen (when Burnham first joined the Shenzhou, and the Saru short Trek) have the Starfleet uniforms seen in The Cage be worn. Doesn't solve their use in Where No Man Has Gone Before, but...

The washing machines were broke on board during 'Where No Man Has Gone Before'. They went to the nearest starbase to use its launderette while a team of engineers fixed them.

The Picard series will be based around a film plot but I did read that that using film elements are pretty much a no go because it's Paramount rather than CBS. Then again the film's use CBS properties. It's all a bit of a mess but the general consensus seems to be that the merger will sort all that.

The Pike line about ripping out the holo projectors was an awful attempt at explaining things. Did the whole of Starfleet stop using them because Pike didn't like them? Abysmal.

Hopefully they stop using them anyway. Look ridiculous with the static and attempts at conveying shit signal.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Malcy on February 10, 2019, 11:18:16 PM
What's the deal with Midnight's Edge? I've seen a few of their videos but it always seems like your usual YT posters who drone on with absolutely no proof.

It''s exactly that, yes. I'm surprised anyone takes it even remotely seriously.

mothman

Presumably the captains of the Enterprise's sister Constitution-class ships the Defiant ("The Tholian Web" - and "Through A Mirror, Darkly"), the Constellation ("The Doomsday Machine") and the Exeter ("The Omega Glory") all felt the same about holographic communication...

petril

Quote from: Malcy on February 10, 2019, 11:12:39 PM
That's a good point. I had it in my head that they both did at some point but couldn't think when. I suppose an episode set it in a familiar setting would have been a better way to put it.

tbf DS9 got awfully close with separate episodes set in the 40s, 50s and 2020s. Never got round to cream-era Earth as a setting though

greenman

Quote from: JamesTC on February 10, 2019, 10:19:45 PM
TNG and DS9 didn't travel to modern day, did they? Can't think of one off the top of my head. Closest is Past Tense which is still a few years from now.

Perhaps not "travel" but Far Beyond the Stars visions being set in the 50's was arguably the closest.

Malcy

Lots of concept art and sketches here.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/02/10/star-trek-discovery-designers-show-concept-art-and-talk-changing-sets-uss-enterprise-and-more/

Hints at a lot of poor communication within the staff with things being changed constantly and whole sets being built and unused at large expense.

The Enterprise looks like it would have been more like the TOS version but it still looks a bit squashed.

Small Man Big Horse

And there's possibly going to be yet another series: https://news.avclub.com/nickelodeon-is-making-a-new-star-trek-animated-series-f-1832608213

What with Discovery, the Picard show, the Lower Decks animated comedy and the Captain Georgiou series that'll make five, which is too much Trek goddammit!

Chairman Yang

QuoteThey had to do 22 different versions of the stained glass windows in "New Eden" because "we had to tell the story with the windows" and they kept having to change the windows as the writers kept changing the story.

That's absolutely insane. "Hey you want to get this shit locked down? About the main premise of the entire season? Before we start staining glass?!"

Malcy

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 14, 2019, 05:59:54 PM
And there's possibly going to be yet another series: https://news.avclub.com/nickelodeon-is-making-a-new-star-trek-animated-series-f-1832608213

What with Discovery, the Picard show, the Lower Decks animated comedy and the Captain Georgiou series that'll make five, which is too much Trek goddammit!

Yeah it was half announced last month that there was a second animated series in the works. Don't forget the planned Starfleet Academy & Khan series. It's taking the piss.

mothman

Sonequa M-G apparently let slip that the new Picard TV show is called... Picard. If so, hardly earthshattering news, you'll agree. CBS are yet to deny the news nor insist the show is really called John Harrison.

JamesTC

I bet the Star Trek kids show is the only good one.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 14, 2019, 05:59:54 PM

It's less too much Trek than too many treks.

Malcy

Fairly boring again this week. Next week's looks like it could be good though.

Phil_A

Quote from: Malcy on February 14, 2019, 06:19:48 PM
Yeah it was half announced last month that there was a second animated series in the works. Don't forget the planned Starfleet Academy & Khan series. It's taking the piss.

That Khan series is never happening, let's face it. One of the ideas greenlit under a previous regime that has now been quietly shelved.

Is it me or did the voiceover at the end seem to be making a pointed comment about the change of showrunner? I think from the next episode onward is the point when Alex Kurtzman takes over so that would fit. Huh.

Spoon of Ploff

My review of the Last three episodes:

Oh no! Ash Tyler and his baby have been murdered! That's a bit dar- oh wait it's a ruse. They're fine.
Oh no! Saru's gone poorly and is going to die. That's a bit sad - oh wait! He's better now, in fact he's better than before because he's not a scaredy cat any more.
Oh no! Tilly's been kidnapped by mushrooms, she could be anywhere in the mycelial netwo - found her! A-and the mushrooms have given her back!! A-and as a bonus they've given back Stamets' husband... through the power of love. A-and what's that? Ash is back on board the Discovery? Can't wait to see how they continue the relationship between him and Michael, and all those additional opportunities for her to do the I-am-experiencing-strong-emotions-right-now face. I'm....

I'm not really enjoying this to be honest.

I do like Christopher Pike though. It'd be great if someone could dub captain Mainwaring shouting 'Don't tell him Pike!' into every scene just before he's about to speak.

Cloud

Just caught up.  This is brilliant stuff!  I have a feeling season 1 will be better on a re-watch sometime, but season 2 is like a 5x better experience.  This is DS9 level stuff by my reckoning (that's a good thing, but depends on individual taste)

As for Spock, I'm getting more and more convinced they're going to find him in a year or two, miniaturised and hanging around in Pike's laundry basket.

Chairman Yang

It's definitely a better story this time round, reminds me of the very good Star Trek: Judgment Rites game (which it isn't a patch on). I just wish they'd chill out for even a second! You can have a nice, dull discussion about the fate of a culture without wooshing around all the time.

Cloud

Star Trek: Evangelion...

I'm ready for a "filler" episode - all this intense progression is knackering!

Otherwise continues to be superb with today's episode.  That's one character quite thoroughly studied to the point where he's pretty much "done" to end of series levels - maybe we can learn something about some of the other characters soon, like robot person or the ops and conn lovebirds who keep staring and smiling at each other?

mothman

I am enjoying this. The search - ha! - for Spock is becoming an increasingly flimsy framing device (albeit one I think may soon be resolved) but each week's stories have been solid efforts with a pleasing amount of science and exploration, to a degree that hasn't been present in filmed Trek since 2003 (when season 2 of ENT gave way to the Xindi-hunting of season 3).

Mr. Internet

Yeah, I'm starting to really enjoy this now. There's something about Star Trek second seasons, isn't there...

I hope the quality keeps amping up from here.

As a Hannibal fan, I loved the scene with the Ba'ul. I'd have assumed Fuller had a hand in that if I didn't know he'd already left.

Malcy

A great episode at last. Saru is by far the most interesting character in the show. Could have done without the Stamets and not dead doctor scene though. Can't be arsed with them.

Ant Farm Keyboard

I'm waiting for the inevitable scene between the undead doctor and Clem Fandango. You know it's coming.

Cloud

Quote from: Malcy on February 23, 2019, 03:35:17 PM
A great episode at last. Saru is by far the most interesting character in the show. Could have done without the Stamets and not dead doctor scene though. Can't be arsed with them.

Same.  I think it doesn't help that undead doctor has absolutely nothing to him other than "Stamets boyfriend" and "undead", so we have no particular reason to care.  I think it's better to kill off characters (and bring them back from not-actually-dead) and stuff after they've been fleshed out a bit.  Like, at all

PlanktonSideburns

Yea it's getting pretty good now, if they can just fuck off those bloody voice overs

'We all come from somewhere 'oh do FUCKOFF

And someone needs to kneecap that cameraman who delights in running round people like an excited sheepdog- it's taking the piss now!

But yea, having some fun with this- the guy playing saru is a great heavy makeup performer

Alberon

While it may never look like Star Trek, it finally feels like it now. Just seen the latest episode and I think they've made it too obvious what the Red Angel is. Saru sees it is someone in a high tech suit, so it isn't a race, it's a person. And who has the Red Angel appeared too? Saru, Burnham and Baby Spock. So, it seems to me, that this is clearly Burnham arsing about up and down her timeline in some hi tech alien suit.

Why and how remain to be seen.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Alberon on February 24, 2019, 10:44:44 AM
While it may never look like Star Trek, it finally feels like it now. Just seen the latest episode and I think they've made it too obvious what the Red Angel is. Saru sees it is someone in a high tech suit, so it isn't a race, it's a person. And who has the Red Angel appeared too? Saru, Burnham and Baby Spock. So, it seems to me, that this is clearly Burnham arsing about up and down her timeline in some hi tech alien suit.

Why and how remain to be seen.

I thought that could be a possibility, that or it's Spock, and either would be really annoying. A friend of mine is convinced it's going to be Picard and will then tie in to his forthcoming series, but I'm very doubtful as it would be beyond shit if they did that.

Cloud

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 23, 2019, 11:38:02 PM
And someone needs to kneecap that cameraman who delights in running round people like an excited sheepdog- it's taking the piss now!

Oh god that scene near the beginning of the latest episode with Pike, Tyler and Mickey when the camera was hurtling around them all in circles.  Thought I was going to be sick.

mothman

If anything, the Red Angel's Power Ranger suit looks reminiscent of Cardassian design. But the RA doesn't look to be of that race unless they're also planning to reboot the species' look.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I stopped bothering with this after the first Harry Mud episode in series one. After much nagging from a friend, however, I've been catching up over the last few days (he had no one to discuss it with, which was touchingly pathetic). Now I'm all up to date and enjoying it for the most part.

The supporting cast is still pretty weak. It was several episodes in before I realised that Tilly and the other ginger woman aren't the same character. Even the Voyager had a more memorable crew. Luckily that is a flaw that could be fixed, if the writers feel like it. Shame they killed off Lorca, as I liked the twist of him being a baddie. Tig Notaro seems like an attempt to inject some more personality into the show. Unfortunately, she's wooden as fuck.

To go off on a bit of a tangent: by fucking Christ, that trip to the Mushroom Kingdom was bloody annoying. Stupid May the mushroom, calling Doctor Whatshisname a monster just because he's defending himself from being eaten alive - with material from their dimension no less. it doesn't even work as some fable about understanding  other perspectives. The fungus are just an outright hostile species.  I hope the reason there's no spore drive in the future is that everyone got sick of the shiitake shitheads and genocided their whole twatty dimension. Bunch of wankers.

mothman