Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:23:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 and other stuff

Started by Alberon, September 21, 2018, 06:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on March 10, 2019, 09:23:49 AM
Any guesses on who the red angel turns out to be? Michael? Tilly, Evil Crouching Tiger lady?

Asuka Langley

Actual answer: mysterious robot looking bridge member

Malcy

What's the verdict on Ethan Peck's Spock then? I think he's Ok so far but he's a bit quiet. Hopefully he has a bit more presence goinf forward.

petril

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on March 10, 2019, 09:23:49 AM
Any guesses on who the red angel turns out to be? Michael? Tilly, Evil Crouching Tiger lady?

imagine if it's Q on some kind of gambit from out of the writing team's arse. Or the Emissary himself, something like that

Alberon

Another Picard series regular has been cast - Evan Evagora, an actor in his early twenties.

Looks Romulan in his IMDb photo so I'm beginning to think that character sheet was genuine.

Chairman Yang

Oh a bad computer went wrong, that's novel.

Malcy

Thought the ending was a bit sad. They finally flesh out a bridge member's character then kill them off but keep shite like the resurrected doctor.

Sun still shining through every window.

Why didn't Burnham check to see it Non, or whatever the Barzans name is, was Ok?

Shite camera work at the start again.

Having silent credits would have worked better if there wasn't the next time trailer put in before them.

Cloud

Yeah that was sad, finally literally anything about robot girl, even her name (Ariam) and she goes and snuffs it!  But you know Star Trek, she'll probably be back in a week or two.

Pike: "Wanna tell us what kind of shitstorm we're flying into?" - add jokes about 4chan, politics or whatever here

Pike: "Giving up our values in the name of security is to lose the battle in advance" - deep, meaningful and relevant words

Love the use of chess between Spock and Michael

I guess this all goes to explain why Spock had emotions in the original Pike pilot

Kind of weird in a way seeing Spock talking about gay characters in that way, knowing how everyone was straight in TOS, TNG and only vaguely alluded to in DS9 and VOY

Random STD sidenotes:
Anyone find they have to keep rewinding every few minutes to absorb what the characters were rapidly babbling on about and actually understand what's going  on?
Observation I forgot from last week and  the week before: Saru walks with his arms swishing left and right in sync.  It looks very odd.

surreal

When Ariam tells Burnham to go and find Project Icarus I think that goes a long way to suggesting that Burnham or Spock is going to end up being the angel, as Icarus is very likely going to be something to do with the winged suit

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The robot one died.

Even Tasha Yar's death made more of an impact.

Malcy

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 17, 2019, 08:26:55 PM
The robot one died.

Even Tasha Yar's death made more of an impact.

Tasha Year was given significantly more to do in TNG S1 though in fairness. Up until that ep, Ariam was given the same treatment as the rest of the bridge crew. Reaction shots and looking at other bridge crew.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Exactly. The supporting cast are sorely underdeveloped. It should have been obvious that Ariam (I didn't even catch her name until this episode) was going to cark it, but I was holding out hope that giving her a backstory was an honest bit of character development.

Malcy

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 17, 2019, 08:41:57 PM
Exactly. The supporting cast are sorely underdeveloped. It should have been obvious that Ariam (I didn't even catch her name until this episode) was going to cark it, but I was holding out hope that giving her a backstory was an honest bit of character development.

It's one of my biggest dislikes with the show. Star Trek is an ensemble piece. Even redshirts and random yeomen got more to do in TOS than the main bridge crew get on this.

The original actress to play Ariam was a lieutenant in engineering a couple of eps ago. I wonder why the change. Maybe she thought she'd get more lines as a random!

Alberon

It is a shame. She clearly was just a bit of nice background design in the first season, but, especially if they knew they were killing her off, why wait until the last episode until we learnt anything about her? Tilly's little group of bridge crew friends should have been featuring since the start of the season.

Bingo Fury

And yet still more moving than Saru's "I'll be dead really soon ... another few minutes and I'm definitely a goner" episode the other week, for some reason.

olliebean

Quote from: Malcy on March 17, 2019, 08:29:50 PM
Tasha Year was given significantly more to do in TNG S1 though in fairness. Up until that ep, Ariam was given the same treatment as the rest of the bridge crew. Reaction shots and looking at other bridge crew.

TBH I didn't even realise until this episode that she wasn't just a robot. And the obviously didn't originally intend her to have been an important enough character to have bothered putting a season 2 option in the original actor's contract.

Alberon

Quote from: olliebean on March 17, 2019, 10:05:55 PM
TBH I didn't even realise until this episode that she wasn't just a robot. And the obviously didn't originally intend her to have been an important enough character to have bothered putting a season 2 option in the original actor's contract.

I doubt the producers knew back when they started. She was just something visually interesting in the corner of the bridge.

Malcy

They've said from S1 that they would be fleshing out the bridge crew's characters and they all have a back story to explore but it hasn't really happened.

Cloud

To be fair I've been rewatching some TOS again and I think that's the sort of thing they're trying to recreate - I'm halfway through season 1 and at the moment, we know pretty much fuck-all about Sulu or Uhura (not that we ever knew a huge amount about them IIRC), Checkov isn't even in it yet, don't see that much of Scotty.  It's pretty much the Kirk/Spock/McCoy show.  Discovery at least is the Burnham/Tilly/Saru/$current_captain/Stamets show, and they're working on the rest now that the premise is set - which basically took all of S1 and part of S2 to do.

surreal

The way they've been heading with Discovery, I wouldn't bet against them re-doing the original series, or at least introducing a lot of the characters and doing new stories, blending the new tech into it.  I think Spock is a test-bed for this to see what the reaction was.  I think it was telling that they included some TOS footage in the intro to last week's episode.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Anson Mount won't be in the show after this season. Both his contract and Rebecca Romijn's (who plays Number One, but has yet to be featured beyond a single scene) are for one year only, and they're supposed to leave now that production is over.

https://deadline.com/2019/03/anson-mount-star-trek-discovery-exit-rebecca-romijn-altercation-director-season-2-1202577741/

The piece is very strange. There's a long development over an incident during production which amounts apparently to nothing (Mount was making gestures when rehearsing a scene and he unwillingly touched the director. I guess that it was a woman, as there was an investigation.)

Now, it's obvious that they want a new captain for the Discovery every year. We had the Lorca season, now it is the Pike season, and it could go on for a few years like that, with every captain having a different style that forces the dynamics between the rest of the crew to change.

Malcy

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on March 19, 2019, 01:37:30 AM
Anson Mount won't be in the show after this season. Both his contract and Rebecca Romijn's (who plays Number One, but has yet to be featured beyond a single scene) are for one year only, and they're supposed to leave now that production is over.

https://deadline.com/2019/03/anson-mount-star-trek-discovery-exit-rebecca-romijn-altercation-director-season-2-1202577741/

The piece is very strange. There's a long development over an incident during production which amounts apparently to nothing (Mount was making gestures when rehearsing a scene and he unwillingly touched the director. I guess that it was a woman, as there was an investigation.)

Now, it's obvious that they want a new captain for the Discovery every year. We had the Lorca season, now it is the Pike season, and it could go on for a few years like that, with every captain having a different style that forces the dynamics between the rest of the crew to change.

I don't see how it points to have been a woman director really but it is an odd thing to mention in an article. Personally i hope they just make Saru captain and have them go off on episodic adventures rather than these really boring arcs that go nowhere fast. Could have Saru's first orders as captain be to transfer Stamets & Culber, incinerate those stupid DISCO t-shirts and ask Starfleet command for new crew members who don't speak like they're in some American teen drama.

Instant 100% improvement.

As for Number 1, i'm assuming she'll reappear at the end of the series when we get a proper look at the Enterprise since they made a good bit of noise about her appearing and we've barely seen her.  Maybe she'll bring it to Discovery's aid toward the end of the series. Can't be many episodes left. 4?

Alberon

I'm getting a bit fed up with the Guest Captain role and it's past time it was handed to Saru full time, but reading the above does actually make me think Rebecca Romijn will continue in the series after all.

We all know Spock is still on the Enterprise when Kirk takes over and we all know what happens to Pike, but Number One just disappears. As it stands she's barely in this season so are the producers hiding the next captain of Discovery?

Cloud

Shame that Pike isn't staying, I've been really enjoying him as a captain.

Promote T-T-T-Tilly!

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Alberon on March 19, 2019, 10:51:29 AM
I'm getting a bit fed up with the Guest Captain role and it's past time it was handed to Saru full time, but reading the above does actually make me think Rebecca Romijn will continue in the series after all.

The article actually states that Romijn won't return next season.

But the producers explain that they'd like to work again with Mount. I wouldn't exclude that they've been pitching a miniseries on Pike at some point in the future.

Malcy

Load of shite. Why is dead doctor walking around like he's going out to a restaurant? We get it, they're gay. Oh I need counselling. Fuck right off.

As for the red angel stuff. More shite. Dialogue is atrocious as well.

Spoon of Ploff

Alberon

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on March 19, 2019, 06:29:32 PM
The article actually states that Romijn won't return next season.

Yeah, I know. I just get the feeling the producers are lying.

QuoteBut the producers explain that they'd like to work again with Mount. I wouldn't exclude that they've been pitching a miniseries on Pike at some point in the future.

Quite possible. They just need to recast the Doctor, yeoman woman and that guy who was at navigation as they already have the top three.

Chairman Yang

I'm writhing around like I'm in the agony booth every time Tilly is on screen now. KILL JESTER

So are the Discovery crew just the most stupid people in the universe? I mean... surely threatening to kill yourself in the hopes your future self turns up is like licking your own elbow. How can you fall for a trap set by your past self? How were the Klingons researching time travel? How is sexually harassing your science man not at least deserving of a talking to from HR?

Malcy

Yeah I thought Tilly was becoming tolerable again recently but they've made her a gibbering fool again. The officer that took Ariams position on the bridge was the same actor who played her in series 1.

mothman