Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:24:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 and other stuff

Started by Alberon, September 21, 2018, 06:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Quote from: Malcy on March 30, 2019, 09:03:23 AM
I won't read it but I wouldn't have thought that anywhere would get an episode that much in advance!

No, it's written as though the finale is the next episode after the one we've just seen. Caused me to check that they hadn't broadcast two back-to-back and I'd missed it, when I first saw the article.

olliebean

The article has now been corrected and is no longer saying it's the finale. Still no confirmation of whether it's an April Fool or not, but you'd think they'd have taken it down by now if they'd genuinely posted what must surely be emargoed plot details about next Friday's episode.

Alberon

Not looked at the article.

The episode itself was better, in that it wasn't a barrel full of arse from start to finish, but it still failed to fully engage. The plot was largely predictable in general, but my personal biggest problem is I don't like Burnham. That is a big issue when trying to enjoy Discovery. She's only better than the daytime soap of Stamets and Culber and they're fucking awful together. Fortunately, there wasn't any of that this episode, and only a small bit of Ensign Fluster as well.

phantom_power

It is a piece of bunch of shit. They were convinced the "biometric signature" or whatever of her brain was an exact match last week and then realised this week that it isn't as unique as they made out. Her mum was working on time travel shit and they act astonished when it turns out that rather than dying she had, er, travelled in time. The dialogue is atrocious. They appear to have pulled the idea of control out of their arses a few episodes ago just so it can be the big baddie now. They don't seem capable of keeping some data safe when surely the best thing would be to store it somewhere that wasn't on a network. And use super-futuristic encryption. People hang around observing things until the last minute before acting, and sometimes not even then (the security woman who smelled a rat about robowoman but then just watched her until it all went to shit and then got knocked out too easily, Giorgiou this week). The villain conveniently escaping at the end of the episode. Spock being a fucking bellend. Burnham thinking she is always right, despite being always wrong. I mean, I could go on

Spoon of Ploff

Lovely stuff. I had a good chuckle when Control managed to steal Discovery's WIFI password (wouldn't be surprised if it was '12345' or 'password'). The ludicrously poor levels of security the Federation deploys has always been a shortcut for moving the plot forward without having to put in any effort.

Yeah. Michael gets to do the wet n' wide eyed grimace face again, this time at her mum... and their attempt to (against her genuine wishes mind) secure her in the present just dumps her back in the future and this time without the suit that allows her to time travel. Nice one you mugs.

Roll on Season 4 of The Expanse (don't hit me!)

Cloud

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on April 04, 2019, 11:04:38 AM
Lovely stuff. I had a good chuckle when Control managed to steal Discovery's WIFI password (wouldn't be surprised if it was '12345' or 'password'). The ludicrously poor levels of security the Federation deploys has always been a shortcut for moving the plot forward without having to put in any effort.

0 0 0 destruct 0

Chairman Yang

I think Mothman's prophecy is coming to pass. They've been leaning into it hard all season but I'd hoped it was just a coincidence.

The trading on the pop culture image of Star Trek, the constant 'backstory' of already complete ideas, the obsession with characters having a 'heroic destiny', it's all there...

Michael Burnham is Odo!

mothman

Quote from: Chairman Yang on April 05, 2019, 07:42:54 PM
Mothman's prophecy

*hug*

God, this week's episode was boring. STOP FUCKING UP SPOCK. And how obvious a trap was that? Just happen to notice one ship behaving oddly. Get to it and it's just sitting there. Just happen to know the one survivor. And as for turning Pike's ultimate fate from a heroic sacrifice to save lives in a tragic senseless accident, to a fixed point in time (that he knows is going to happen)? I'm calling bullshit on that.

Alberon

As an episode it was okay, entertaining if predictable.

The most exciting bit was in the trailer for next week. We get to see the Enterprise bridge!

mothman

Quote from: Alberon on April 05, 2019, 11:16:49 PM
The most exciting bit was in the trailer for next week. We get to see the Enterprise bridge!

I like it. I get what they're trying to do with it. Yes, it's an updating. But it looks to have been done right.

Cloud

Aaaaa

That was quite good?

I have an interesting chat ahead tomorrow with a friend who watches the show as let's say to an extent his present is Pike's future.  But I don't think he's watched TOS.  So he won't understand the gravity of Pike's choice, even though I think it'll mean quite a lot to him, unless I "spoil" it, but it's not really a spoiler as you just have to have known TOS :/

On a complete aside, the voice of this "Control" is starting to sound a bit Borg-like to me.  I wonder if that's what it's all about, and they get thrown off to some faraway quadrant to be re'discovered' in TNG.

petril

would be surprised if Control was the result of the Borg remains from that Enterprise episode

Cloud

Ah heck I forgot they were in Enterprise.  At least they had a good reason for it with the movie

Malcy

Why is everything so blue? It was relentless. The Klingons look like they've been shagging Bolians. With a time crystal i reckon that will tie in to the Short Trek and I'm dreading what this Control malarkey is going to end up tying into.

The chat in the mess hall with Linus was fucking appalling.

"Choke on that"
"Booooom!!!!!"
Shake of the head and "Humans"

Fuck off. And you knew the scene would get worse when Stamets was seen moping.

Trailer for next week looks ok. Boreth looked really good and the second D7 was mentioned I was wishing Tyler & Burnham would just stop talking so I could see it.

Wasn't disappointed. It looked superb and pretty spot on in terms of design. No unnecessary additions. Hopefully see more of it in the next 2 episodes.

olliebean

Why is the sound quality so shit? At its worst it almost sounds like they're speaking through greaseproof paper wrapped around combs. No other Netflix show sounds like this, so I know it's not a problem at my end.

Alberon

Quote from: olliebean on April 06, 2019, 09:46:39 PM
Why is the sound quality so shit? At its worst it almost sounds like they're speaking through greaseproof paper wrapped around combs. No other Netflix show sounds like this, so I know it's not a problem at my end.

I get that on a lot of US shows. The sound on the dialogue sounds quite 'buzzy'. Don't know why that is. It's not like standards conversion between NTSC and PAL is an issue anymore.

This 2nd series started quite promisingly but has really plunged downhill. The robot woman episode was ok but the last two have been absolutely stupid. When the only survivor on the ship was someone Burnham knew it was obviously a trap, Spock even gave a look as if to say 'there's something not right here'- which would have been reasonable if it was followed up on with Spock being aware all the time it didn't add up- but that went nowhere with both Spock and Burnham beings as dim as each other.

The Klingons, as have been noted, look shite and act like boring tossers. Who gives one about Stamets and the Doctor who can't act? Tilly is getting worse and worse. The bridge crew are all grinning loons: 'look how magical everything is, what an amazing universe, ain't life grand!', they gurn. They all have less character than the ensigns who turned up in one episode of the original series.

It packs loads in but somehow still ends up boring, there are at least a couple of times each episode my mind wanders elsewhere. Pike is the only decent character and I presume he will be gone soon.

olliebean

I remember a Ken Campbell anecdote about an actor who had a sort of negative energy about him, so they'd have him on stage at the start of a scene just so he could exit and give the whole scene a lift. I feel like that about Ash, only they're making the mistake of letting him stay for whole scenes.

Malcy

I wonder if this is a sly hint from the latest issue of Star Trek Magazine...

mothman

Q Who?, the first Borg ep, aired on 8 May 1989, so..?

Malcy

Not too bad this week but felt like it could have been done in half the time. What the fuck is the point in opening titles 14 minutes into an episode. Just don't bother and use that time for something else. In fact maybe not. They'd probably give it to Stamets & Culber.

Not too sure on Enterprise bridge. Bit too shiny and the door is way back in the wall for some reason.

Light through the window watch - Mild but still unnecessary.

Number 1 is good. Shame we haven't seen much of her. Trailer for next week isn't giving much away really. Just explosions and lots of little ships making stupid insect like Noise's as they fly about.

Think the Picard series starts filming this week. Don't fuck it up.

olliebean

Too much of this episode just taken up with people saying goodbye. Felt like that interminable bit at the end of David Tennant's last Doctor Who episode.

Was this the season finale?

Malcy

Quote from: olliebean on April 12, 2019, 12:30:41 PM
Too much of this episode just taken up with people saying goodbye. Felt like that interminable bit at the end of David Tennant's last Doctor Who episode.

Next week is the finale.

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: olliebean on April 12, 2019, 12:30:41 PM

Yeah. "Are we there yet?" sums this one up for me.

Chairman Yang

I made a really good chili whilst this was on in the other room! 7/10

Alberon

Good God that one dragged. The fact they hauled Sarek and Amanda all the way from Vulcan for one short scene does suggest they're really going through with the plan, though Spock will end up left behind for some contrived reason.

So the second of the short treks is linked to the main show. All that is left now is the abandoned Discovery 1000 years from the current timeline, assuming the Harry Mudd one is the only one not connected.

But for most of it I was just begging the show to get on with it.

Malcy

If the Discovery only ends up in the future for one series then it's possible Spock could join them but I don't see I happen as I think the plans for at least an Enterprise Short Trek are afoot.

Does anyone else remember the excitement that was there when DSC was announced? If only we had known. It's amazing to think though that after next week the next episode of TV Trek will feature Picard. I can only hope that it isn't as fucking shite as this. It seems though that the behind the scenes folk have convinced Trek actors and fans that everything they've done so far is gold. Theres some proper brainwashing going on.

Malcy

Jonathan Frakes is directing 2 episodes of the Picard series & 2 Discovery S3 episodes.

There's a 3 part interview over in TrekMovie. 1st part is about The Orville. Part 3 still to come.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/04/15/interview-jonathan-frakes-talks-ambitious-picard-show-and-star-trek-discovery-growing-its-beard/

Pranet

Christ. 50 minutes of people banging on to each other about how great they all are. If it was the penultimate episode ever rather than of the series then maybe I would have let them get away with it.

I have very very low standards when it comes to Star Trek but the second half of this season has really dragged and I am looking forward to it all being over. I like most of the actors, there are good bits, but about 90% of it is Burham whispering earnestly. I almost miss the boring stuff about Klingons in season 1.

Malcy

The Discovery novel Desperate Hour seems to be free on iTunes. Had a bit of credit to spend so was looking at Trek books and there was no price just Get and now it's in my library.