Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:44:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 and other stuff

Started by Alberon, September 21, 2018, 06:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on October 07, 2018, 12:39:07 AM
January 18? Either that's a typo (i.e. it's January 2019), or the show starts on Friday 18 January.

It's this new yank trend of not saying 'st' 'nd' etc after a number. Hear it all the time in trailers.

Malcy

Camp Tramp

I really don't like Klingons,I much prefer the Cardassians.

Blumf

olliebean

Quote from: Malcy on October 06, 2018, 11:12:28 PM
I couldn't find a YT link and I couldn't even get me the Twitter link full screen without several problems. And why do they always have massive hardcoded subtitles?

I found it on YT here but it's region-restricted to the US and it's still only 360p with an unstable framerate. Better than twitter, though, which I frankly found unwatchable.

mothman

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Malcy on October 07, 2018, 01:17:10 AM
Picard series won't be a one off. They're planning it to be recurring.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/10/06/exclusive-star-trek-executive-producers-reveal-picard-series-production-details/

Hmmm, not sure how I feel about that. As a one off it could have been a tight, fascinating look at where Picard is now, but I'm not sure if it's something that should run and run. Still, I guess if it's good (and the writers they have onboard mostly makes me optimistic) it might be positive thing.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 07, 2018, 03:39:03 PM
Hmmm, not sure how I feel about that. As a one off it could have been a tight, fascinating look at where Picard is now, but I'm not sure if it's something that should run and run. Still, I guess if it's good (and the writers they have onboard mostly makes me optimistic) it might be positive thing.

Out of all the Captains, Picard is the one who I think could have the most interesting post-Starfleet career and is portrayed by the actor most capable of carrying it off.

Kirk is always a Captain, that is his heart's desire and is destined to die in the Big Chair (Yes I am including Generations)
Sisko would get involved in Bajoran politics/religion but I don't think that would be a interesting show.
Janeway (should) have been stripped of her rank and thrown into a jail cell!
Less said about Archer, the better.

Picard is a Captain as well, he is self-aware enough though to quit the Big Chair when he got too old. He could easily go into politics, devote time to archeology or become a roving ambassador. Even after retiring from Starfleet, he would still lead an active and productive life.

Lemming

And also, Sisko went bananas and fucked off into a wormhole to abandon his son and become an alien outside of time.

Picard is definitely the best captain for recurring adventures, because his favourite hobby was just sitting in his room looking pensive and agonising over morality issues, which (with good writers and interesting morality problems) can be repeated virtually endlessly with good results.

New Discovery trailer looks ok, more Michelle Yeoh, schizophrenic uniform style changes, all good. Where the fuck is Lenny Kravitz.

Malcy

Star Trek: Lower Decks commissioned for two series. It's an animated comedy from the creator of Rick & Morty.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/10/25/breaking-animated-comedy-star-trek-lower-decks-from-rick-mortys-mike-mcmahon-gets-two-season-order/

Dunno how I feel about this really.

Alberon

I dunno either.

I'd like an animated show, they could do do 'missing adventure' style episodes of TOS, TNG or other previous Trek shows. Or even bigger scale stuff than you could do live action. But a straight comedy show?

And what sort of comedy are we talking about? Parody or not? Orville-style jarring drama and comedy (hopefully without MacFarlane's death's-head-mask acting over the top of it all)? At times Star Trek can be deliberately very funny, but would that work all the time?

My gut is telling me 'no'.

greenman

Quote from: Camp Tramp on October 07, 2018, 04:41:50 PM
Picard is a Captain as well, he is self-aware enough though to quit the Big Chair when he got too old. He could easily go into politics, devote time to archeology or become a roving ambassador. Even after retiring from Starfleet, he would still lead an active and productive life.

Arguably the archaeology side of things is an area of Trek that's somewhat less worn out as well.

mothman

Ugh. I mean, really? Isn't the "whacky adult-oriented animated comedy" thing played out by now?

Phil_A

Quote from: Malcy on October 25, 2018, 06:33:35 PM
Star Trek: Lower Decks commissioned for two series. It's an animated comedy from the creator of Rick & Morty.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/10/25/breaking-animated-comedy-star-trek-lower-decks-from-rick-mortys-mike-mcmahon-gets-two-season-order/

Dunno how I feel about this really.

He's not the creator of Rick & Morty, he's just a writer on the show.

For a moment there I thought CBS had gone insane and given Dan Harmon or Justin Roiland their own Trek show.

Malcy

Quote from: Phil_A on October 25, 2018, 06:55:12 PM
He's not the creator of Rick & Morty, he's just a writer on the show.

For a moment there I thought CBS had gone insane and given Dan Harmon or Justin Roiland their own Trek show.

I've never watched it so didn't realise.

The thing with comedy in Trek is that it usually worked alongside whatever drama was happening. I can't really see it being that good if it's constant. Almost like it would drag down the franchise a bit by making it a bit, I dunno, less good drama and more jokey?

Why does everything have to be a big 'universe' of stuff these days? I blame that Marvel shite.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm quite looking forward to it, at least it shows they're prepared to do something a bit different with the Trek universe and hopefully it'll be fun.

Sin Agog

Is it that different?  Don't forget the early '70s animation, which may still be my favourite Trek thing for its ambient Fantastic Planet vibes.

Blumf

I think there was a vague plan to make a comedy TNG spin-off involving Troi's mum. Which, much as I enjoy Majel Barrett, I'd have to say, 'no'.

Malcy

Quote from: Sin Agog on October 25, 2018, 08:45:36 PM
Is it that different?  Don't forget the early '70s animation, which may still be my favourite Trek thing for its ambient Fantastic Planet vibes.

TAS is really good. The theme tune is a cracker as well.

Sin Agog

Not to mention the fact that it had a script written by the famous Russian playwright, Chekhov.  Oh, it was just the guy who played Chekov, but it was still one of the better episodes.

All on Netflix in case anyone fancies giving them a watch.  Have the sexy cat-people species ever appeared in the later series?

VelourSpirit

It's a shame there was never an adult swim show reusing footage from TAS like with Space Ghost or Sealab.
The writer's TNG parody tweets were really funny https://twitter.com/TNG_S8
QuoteRiker cautiously dates a sexy, sentient bomb. Picard drinks water wrong, awkwardly coughs for ten minutes in front of an angry Romulan.

Malcy

Quote from: Sin Agog on October 25, 2018, 10:38:49 PM
Not to mention the fact that it had a script written by the famous Russian playwright, Chekhov.  Oh, it was just the guy who played Chekov, but it was still one of the better episodes.

All on Netflix in case anyone fancies giving them a watch.  Have the sexy cat-people species ever appeared in the later series?

Never, although there were sexy cat-people strippers in The Final Frontier. Think Kirk drowned one of them. Didn't even shag it first.

I wonder if DSC will ever try pull it off. Or even the helmsman with the big head and extra arms.

mothman

Saru is considered to be, not an updating or a recreation, but certainly an homage to that species from TAS.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sin Agog on October 25, 2018, 08:45:36 PM

Well it's due to be an out and out comedy, and focus on characters which are normally largely ignored, so that's good enough for me. Plus as well as writing for Rick and Morty he's also co-creating Solar Opposites with Justin Roiland, so I've high hopes this will be fairly unusual too.

Alberon

The second Short Trek 'Calypso' was released last night, but it is only legally available in North America. I haven't seen it illegally available anywhere yet. Hope it's better than the bucket of arse the first one was.

In other news, REDEF.com has an article about the funding of Discovery in an article about Netflix 'original' productions.

QuoteFor example, Netflix is believed to cover more than 100% of the cost of CBS All Access's Star Trek: Discovery for the exclusive rights to the series in most non-US markets.

The co-licensor's ability to influence creative, budgetary and renewal/cancellation decisions usually depends on the share of the total budget they cover, as well as their leverage (e.g. how competitive the bidding was, whether it's original or pre-existing IP, whether the originating network is licensing the IP or owns it, etc.). To this end, Netflix is believed to have virtually no control over Star Trek: Discovery's creative or budgetary decisions (though there would be pre-defined maximums), and may be forced to buy it for as many as five seasons regardless of whether the show performs well on their service or not.

https://redef.com/original/5b81f41dcbfd8a70442b3e8b

The article doesn't have proof of it, but Les Moonves (disgraced former head of CBS) did hint at it back before the first season aired. I think it's been a hit for them, as it is for CBS in America, so it's paid off for them.

Malcy

Yeah the first series even got a couple of extra episodes added on due to the huge amount Netflix paid for the rights.

Phil_A

Hmm. There was a Midnight's Edge video the other week which claimed Netflix are flat-out refusing to pay for any more episodes, leaving the future of the series in some doubt. The departure of Moonves and his entourage means it basically has no supporters left at CBS, as it was very much his baby.

Basically, it's not looking good for Corbyn Discovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuMyfI_WM7E

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Phil_A on November 09, 2018, 06:58:26 PM
Hmm. There was a Midnight's Edge video the other week which claimed Netflix are flat-out refusing to pay for any more episodes, leaving the future of the series in some doubt. The departure of Moonves and his entourage means it basically has no supporters left at CBS, as it was very much his baby.

Basically, it's not looking good for Corbyn Discovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuMyfI_WM7E

Does that channel actually have any credibility? I've seen it referenced before but the videos I looked at seemed very conspiratorial and dog-whistleish to me.

I've not seen the new short episode, but it's been written by Michael Chabon, the novelist who's on the writing staff for the new Picard series, and the word seems to be very strong.