Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:46:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 and other stuff

Started by Alberon, September 21, 2018, 06:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Star Trek is on it's arse. Fuck all these new shows.

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on April 24, 2019, 06:16:55 PM
Star Trek is on it's arse. Fuck all these new shows.

Unfortunately, I agree. When Seth MacFarlane is doing the best Star Trek on TV then there is something wrong. The new Picard show will be all dark and edgy, I'm sure. I'll give it a go but I am worried. I only have hope for the animated shows which I'm hoping work on the same level as The Orville.

But at least all the old stuff is still there. Watched the TNG episodes Future Imperfect and Final Mission yesterday. Completely forgotten the twist in Future Imperfect and it was really effective the way it played with the audience cynicism. I'm left delighted that episodes I've already seen can still surprise me with enough time passed.

The thing that really pisses me off about new Trek is all the articles talking about how Discovery is breaking new ground. Articles about Star Trek fans not being able to handle a female lead (this is something I genuinely saw when it was starting, I guess it was only 172 episodes so it is easy to ignore 25% of Star Trek canon) or stories revolving around religion breaking new ground for Trek (the Guardian said that one, I seem to remember) can only be written by somebody who has never seen Star Trek and has never heard of Wikipedia. It feels like Discovery is getting bigged up by talking down or willfully ignoring any achievements of old Trek. Meanwhile, Discovery builds itself around an Enterprise two-parter which itself was a prequel/sequel to three TOS episodes.

The new DS9 documentary is available for streaming for backers from tomorrow so I'll be watching that on Friday. Nice to be excited for some new Trek, even if it is just a documentary.

Malcy

Quote from: JamesTC on April 24, 2019, 06:36:25 PM
Unfortunately, I agree. When Seth MacFarlane is doing the best Star Trek on TV then there is something wrong. The new Picard show will be all dark and edgy, I'm sure. I'll give it a go but I am worried. I only have hope for the animated shows which I'm hoping work on the same level as The Orville.

But at least all the old stuff is still there. Watched the TNG episodes Future Imperfect and Final Mission yesterday. Completely forgotten the twist in Future Imperfect and it was really effective the way it played with the audience cynicism. I'm left delighted that episodes I've already seen can still surprise me with enough time passed.

The thing that really pisses me off about new Trek is all the articles talking about how Discovery is breaking new ground. Articles about Star Trek fans not being able to handle a female lead (this is something I genuinely saw when it was starting, I guess it was only 172 episodes so it is easy to ignore 25% of Star Trek canon) or stories revolving around religion breaking new ground for Trek (the Guardian said that one, I seem to remember) can only be written by somebody who has never seen Star Trek and has never heard of Wikipedia. It feels like Discovery is getting bigged up by talking down or willfully ignoring any achievements of old Trek. Meanwhile, Discovery builds itself around an Enterprise two-parter which itself was a prequel/sequel to three TOS episodes.

The new DS9 documentary is available for streaming for backers from tomorrow so I'll be watching that on Friday. Nice to be excited for some new Trek, even if it is just a documentary.

Yep plenty of 700+ episodes 10 films & plenty of games to enjoy. Looking forward to my Blu-Ray of the DS9 Doc. Eventually...

Chairman Yang

Credit to whoever came up with that rotating gravity fight sequence, though. It was totally cool and not at all actually cringe worthy.

phantom_power

Quote from: Chairman Yang on April 24, 2019, 08:37:14 PM
Credit to whoever came up with that rotating gravity fight sequence, though. It was totally cool and not at all actually cringe worthy.

Christopher Nolan

Natnar

Quote from: Chairman Yang on April 24, 2019, 08:37:14 PM

Alberon

Chairman Yang

I think we can Discovery this up a bit more.

Ant Farm Keyboard

JamesTC

Just finished the DS9 documentary. It was fine but missed out huge swathes of stuff you'd expect them to talk about (jokingly mentioned in the end credits but that only serves to highlight how huge an omission they were). They don't discuss the creation of the show at all aside from discussions on casting and designing the station. Unfortunately I'm left disappointed.

Malcy

Quote from: JamesTC on April 27, 2019, 12:53:56 AM
Just finished the DS9 documentary. It was fine but missed out huge swathes of stuff you'd expect them to talk about (jokingly mentioned in the end credits but that only serves to highlight how huge an omission they were). They don't discuss the creation of the show at all aside from discussions on casting and designing the station. Unfortunately I'm left disappointed.

Disappointing to hear. Especially since it's been delayed over and over again. Hopefully it turns up online soon and I can decide whether to get the physical copy or not.

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on April 27, 2019, 01:19:02 AM
Disappointing to hear. Especially since it's been delayed over and over again. Hopefully it turns up online soon and I can decide whether to get the physical copy or not.

It might just be my expectations of it but it definitely feels muddled, poorly prioritised and too concerned about how the audience reacted. That being said, the actors reading out audience letters from the time is hilarious.

If they talked about a few more key episodes, the augment storyline, the Bashir/O'Brien friendship, the ending and more about the creation then it would feel complete. Cut out some of the lesser moments of the doc and you could fit all that in without taking the running time too much higher.

l'm hoping a good bit of my hopes are covered in cut content on the Blu-Ray.

Sin Agog

Did they mention how its working title was Deep Space Torture O'Brien?

Malcy

New trailer for series 3. US only at the moment. Should be up on YouTube anytime.

Short Treks is back with a new episode today as well.

"Q&A" – available to stream now

"The Trouble with Edward" – Thursday, Oct. 10

"Ask Not" – Thursday, Nov. 14

"The Girl Who Made the Stars" – Thursday, Dec. 12

"Ephraim and Dot" – Thursday, Dec. 12

"Children of Mars" – Thursday, Jan. 9

olliebean

Quote from: Malcy on October 05, 2019, 07:59:57 PMShort Treks is back with a new episode today as well.

"Q&A" – available to stream now

No sign of this being available (or "available") anywhere outside America yet, AFAICS.

Alberon

Not yet. Finally got to see the Discovery season 3 trailer, though.

So it looks like the Federation has been reduced to six planets and Starfleet is gone. Don't like that to be honest, I'd prefer it if they'd ended up a million years in the future, not a thousand.

Malcy

Quote from: Alberon on October 06, 2019, 09:25:52 AM
Not yet. Finally got to see the Discovery season 3 trailer, though.

So it looks like the Federation has been reduced to six planets and Starfleet is gone. Don't like that to be honest, I'd prefer it if they'd ended up a million years in the future, not a thousand.

If that's what is really going on then I'm definitely not having the show in my personal Canon and probably won't watch. The last series was ridiculous enough. Never thought I would detest anything Star Trek then Discovery came along.

3 Pike Enterprise, 2 animated & the Picard prequel seems to be the running order for the Short Treks.

Malcy

Cloud

literally the first link I clicked on for the trailer, comments like "why are there so many black people in the future?" - fuck sake

Alberon

Quote from: Malcy on October 06, 2019, 06:33:59 PM
Watched the Short Trek. It's OK.

Most of the Short Treks are just disposable 'deleted' scenes in my opinion. The most interesting thing, for me, in that one was three deliberate impersonations of Nimoy from the TOS pilot, back before the Spock character had been fully defined. The 'reporting for duty' bit and the talking too loudly seems deliberate call backs to Nimoy in The Cage. And then, of course, there's the infamous smile that's in the pilot but which was cut out of the scenes shown when it was reused in the Menagerie.

The greatest feeling I get watching this though is that I'd much rather follow the Enterprise in its pre-Kirk days rather than log on to yet another season of Discovery's never ending voyage to shit on as much canon as possible. The Enterprise just has better characters.

Malcy

Quote from: Alberon on October 06, 2019, 10:03:56 PM
Most of the Short Treks are just disposable 'deleted' scenes in my opinion. The most interesting thing, for me, in that one was three deliberate impersonations of Nimoy from the TOS pilot, back before the Spock character had been fully defined. The 'reporting for duty' bit and the talking too loudly seems deliberate call backs to Nimoy in The Cage. And then, of course, there's the infamous smile that's in the pilot but which was cut out of the scenes shown when it was reused in the Menagerie.

The greatest feeling I get watching this though is that I'd much rather follow the Enterprise in its pre-Kirk days rather than log on to yet another season of Discovery's never ending voyage to shit on as much canon as possible. The Enterprise just has better characters.

Definitely. "Why are you shouting"? Raised a smile. But where the fuck where the turbolifts going? Where on the ship was there room for all that space? I'm looking forward to the next two.

I think a Pike commanded series is a strong possibility. I just don't want it to go the same way as Discovery.

Bit of a tangent but I noticed Omeleto who show short films on YouTube are doing some sort of stream over Halloween with a Michael Myers looking film with the villain wearing what looks like a Leonard Nimoy mask instead of a Shatner!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hk5ZMeStRL4

Alberon

Oh yeah, the vast caverns the turbolifts travel through. Makes absolutely no sense.

Malcy

Had another watch of the trailer but it's bad quality. I had seen people say that Morn's species the Lurians are in it.

I spotted Lurian, Andorian, Trill and possibly Cardassian. Seemed to be in those liquid pools on Trill as well. Hard to make anything out properly.

Alberon

The second Short Trek of the season is out now already. 'The Trouble With Edward' is a comedy episode.

Now comedy in otherwise serious SF shows is tricky. It can be done, but the danger is that it can easily slip from comedy to parody. A bigger problem is that it is simply retreading ground of an old well-remembered comedy Trek episode and it doesn't come off that good in comparison.

There's a post-credits bit as well, the less said of that the better.

Malcy

That was a fucking embarrassment. What the fuck was that?