Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:16:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 and other stuff

Started by Alberon, September 21, 2018, 06:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on November 09, 2018, 07:16:29 PM
Does that channel actually have any credibility? I've seen it referenced before but the videos I looked at seemed very conspiratorial and dog-whistleish to me.

I've not seen the new short episode, but it's been written by Michael Chabon, the novelvist who's on the writing staff for the new Picard series, and the word seems to be very strong.

I've not been able to find it yet but Chabon is one of my favourite authors and his book The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay is a fantastic thing, so I've high hopes it'll be great.

Alberon

I'm extremely dubious about the Discovery series in trouble story. Most reports have it doing very well, for CBS and Netflix. It's the only USP for CBS' online service and with cord cutting of traditional cable packages increasing these on demand services are the future.

The fact that two other Star Trek series have been announced underlines it.

The next few years will see an enormous fight between these on demand services. Unique Selling Points are vital. Disney will be launching theirs next year with three Star Wars series (one animated) and a good handful of Marvel Cinematic Universe series.

olliebean

Quote from: Alberon on November 09, 2018, 06:35:08 PM
The second Short Trek 'Calypso' was released last night, but it is only legally available in North America. I haven't seen it illegally available anywhere yet. Hope it's better than the bucket of arse the first one was.

Just turned up on Rarbg about half an hour ago. (I haven't watched it yet.)

Small Man Big Horse

Now Michelle Yeoh might be getting her own spin off - https://news.avclub.com/michelle-yeoh-is-in-talks-for-her-own-star-trek-spin-of-1830353506

If they carry on at this rate by 2020 they might as well rename the channel CBS Star Trek and show new series all day every day.

Edit: I've watched the latest Short Trips now and have to say I wasn't impressed at all. The acting was okay and it was nicely shot but about half way through it all becomes a bit cloying and bland, and is your standard AI falls in love with a bloke kind of thing and I found myself cringing at parts of it.

mothman

I really need a reliable torrent source, the usual place seems to be having one of its occasional spots of bother. Any invites to anywhere gratefully received.

I quite enjoyed it, and I hated the first one. It's obviously a retelling of Homeric myth as the name suggests. Is it Star Trek? Probably not. Never really considered Star Trek ever getting *this* close to having full-frontal male nudity, for one thing! But the look of the whole film was gorgeous.

Small Man Big Horse

I use RarBg most of the time and it's nearly always pretty reliable, but file locker site https://rlsbb.unblocked.gdn/ is the other place I go to if I'm struggling to get something, with the Cloudyfiles links being the fastest and easiest to use that I've found so far.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Personally, I use RARbg for most of the stuff, and Scene-rls.net (I don't know if you can access it from the UK) with a download manager for stuff that's not available in a torrent. There are fewer sources than on other Scene blogs, but the selection is much more interesting and the hosts are almost always the same. Often, the Go4up link offers an additional selection of hosts. Usually, I go with Openload (until it's more than 1GB), Cloudyfiles is a new option there.

The download manager allows me to get rid of the fake links and to resume a failed download. I still have to click on fire hydrants to prove that I'm not a robot however...

mothman

Thanks. Tried both. Still prefer torrents to file downloads, just because of the endless new tabs and windows opening trying to load Christ knows what malware on your computer. And having to prove I'm not a robot. Some days I'm not sure myself anymore.

Ant Farm Keyboard

That's what the download manager is for.
On Mac, the only serious option is Jdownloader, which requires a Chrome extension (to handle the proof that you're not a robot), then it just works when you copy the link from the Openload, Nitrofiles, etc. page. I have no new tabs or new windows thanks to it. On PC, you have many more alternatives, and I'm far from being an expert on it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: mothman on November 11, 2018, 11:33:08 PM
Thanks. Tried both. Still prefer torrents to file downloads, just because of the endless new tabs and windows opening trying to load Christ knows what malware on your computer. And having to prove I'm not a robot. Some days I'm not sure myself anymore.

Adblocker saves me from that kind of stuff, and by only using Cloudyfiles I've not had any Malware problems at all.

mothman

I've just had an Adblock installation spree. Had it on my phone for a while, never got round to putting it on my Mac. Now on Firefox, Chrome and Safari.

Looking at Jdownloader in Chrome, it offers two: Download with Jdownloader and My Jdownloader Browser Extension. I don't know what either does.

olliebean

JDownloader is a standalone program, not a browser extension. You can get it at http://jdownloader.org/. The extensions just add various browser integrations, but without them it can monitor the clipboard for download links, or you can just paste them in manually.

mothman

Malcy

mothman

I wonder whether the Picard show will be on Netflix. CBS are so utterly focussed on their domestic audience and the success of their own poxy streaming service, they probably won't bother if they can avoid it.

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on December 04, 2018, 11:30:07 PM
I wonder whether the Picard show will be on Netflix. CBS are so utterly focussed on their domestic audience and the success of their own poxy streaming service, they probably won't bother if they can avoid it.

No idea but I can see them wanting to throw a few quid at it so they can put their logo on it and call it an 'Netflix Original' as if they came up with the concept of it and made every aspect of it like they do with other stuff.

I wouldn't give Netflix a penny. Pay for mounds of cheap yank pish or just download Trek in HD for free through torrenting or whatever. No brainer.

Alberon

Both CBS and Netflix seem happy with the arrangement over Star Trek: Discovery where the latter essentially pays for the show in exchange for rest of the world rights so I'd be surprised if the new Picard show isn't funded the same way.

mothman

The third Short Trek is out, and really it's again hard to wonder what the point of them is. So far the only one I thought was worth a damn was the one least connected to Trek mythology (apart from being set on a long-abandoned USS Discovery). Maybe that'll be the defining rule for Short Trek quality - or, if the fourth one (about Harry Mudd) turns out OK, perhaps a rule to the even-numbered Trek (short) film rule.

Anyway, in this one it's all about Saru. He's a member of a culture perhaps optimistically called pre-warp, but looks to be barely iron-age/hunter-gatherer. With seemingly no scientific bent at all, they worship a piece of cast-off alien technology that occasionally vapourises people in a bit of a Logan's Run moment. Saru works out how to use a bit of the machine (that "fell off") to become interstellar pen-pals with a young then-Lieutenant Philippa Georgiou, who manages to persuade Starfleet somehow to break the Prime Directive so she can rescue him from a life of agrarian/pescatarian squalor (and eventual sacrifice to the gods). Which goes to explain why Kelpians haven't been seen in Starfleet before... This cavalier attitude to the Prime Directive hasn't impressed many people, to whom it's yet another nail in the coffin for DSC as a worthy entrant in the Trek canon. Following on from Kirk's similar attitude in Into Darkness, it's hard not to concede that the nay-sayers may have a point and Trek is discarding all that made it unique in a race to become just another action/SF franchise....

Malcy

I downloaded it earlier but still think I'm going to hold off until my TOS, TAS and DSC (begrudgingly) rewatch is through.

I hope the lukewarm reviews of the Short Treks aren't an indicator of the quality of series 2.

Malcy

Been extended by 1 episode to 14 according to new Pike.

Alberon

Quote from: mothman on December 07, 2018, 05:20:44 PMThis cavalier attitude to the Prime Directive hasn't impressed many people, to whom it's yet another nail in the coffin for DSC as a worthy entrant in the Trek canon. Following on from Kirk's similar attitude in Into Darkness, it's hard not to concede that the nay-sayers may have a point and Trek is discarding all that made it unique in a race to become just another action/SF franchise....

It has to be said that Kirk in TOS was far worse. He'd pay the Prime Directive lip service, but would quite happily trample all over it if necessary.

The final Short Trek of this run is out now and it's the best by far. Harry Mudd is back and not having a good time at the hands of a bounty hunter.

Malcy

Still not seen any of the Short Treks. Just not arsed. Sad state of affairs for me and Trek. I'll be happy enough with The Orville for the next few months. Have the Short Treks downloaded and will do the same with DSC S2 and watch it when it's over, when I should be hopefully finished my TOS/TAS rewatch.

I don't have any enthusiasm for S2 so at least if it's miraculously gripping I don't have to wait a week without episodes. Like waiting for 'The Best Of Both Words' part 2. These kids font know hahaha...

mothman

Yeah, but we nearly had to wait THREE YEARS for BoBW2. BBC2 started showing TNG in Sept. 1990, and by 1991 they were in danger of catching up with the US schedule, not just Sky One's. So they stopped after s3. Which of course ended with one of the most mammoth cliffhangers in TV history. So they somehow got special dispensation to show the resolution the next week.

And then they started a full repeat of TOS, and didn't start showing TNG again until 1994, with s4e2 "Family."

Malcy

The Picard show is going to deal with the aftermath of Romulus being destroyed. Really looking forward to it.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/01/08/star-trek-picard-show-to-deal-with-event-that-radically-altered-galaxy-tng-guest-stars-a-possibility/

A second animated series is being made for kids along with 2 animated 'Short Trek's'.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/01/08/breaking-kid-friendly-star-trek-animated-series-in-development-animated-short-treks-coming-this-year/

Also, Trek 4/14 doesn't seem to have a director anymore and is probably shelved.

mothman

Very little of the upcoming Trek stuff appeals to me. A Khan prequel. Yay. A cartoon show. Big wow. Pinning my hopes on the Picard show, and the Tarantino film (if it ever happens; maybe now they'll ditch the whole KelvinTrek 4 idea and go straight to his idea? Unless the yeah-right McQuarrie interest keeps their hopes up).

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on January 09, 2019, 06:54:52 PM
Very little of the upcoming Trek stuff appeals to me. A Khan prequel. Yay. A cartoon show. Big wow. Pinning my hopes on the Picard show, and the Tarantino film (if it ever happens; maybe now they'll ditch the whole KelvinTrek 4 idea and go straight to his idea? Unless the yeah-right McQuarrie interest keeps their hopes up).

I'm the same. Picard show for me and everything else I'll have a look at but not hugely interested in

mothman

It initially struck me as curious how little I can be enthused about Trek right now, given how ardent a fan I have been in the past. Specifically between about 1994 (when TNG started up again on the BBC) and 2005 (when ENT was cancelled). But really, in the fallow years with no Trek, I guess I was never that bothered. As a child I watched TOS on repeats when it was on. As a teenager and then student I'd go and see the films when they came out (I didn't watch TNG when it first started on BBC2 because I had better things to do as a student in Newcastle in the early 1990s). But it wasn't a big part of my cultural life. I'll watch DSC when it starts up, sure. But am I excited about its iminence? Not really.

Alberon

Looking at the original article on the Hollywood Reporter I'm not sure the new animated series is being described as 'kid friendly'. It looks like that label was meant for Lower Decks.

New TOS and TNG stories seem an obvious thing for an animated series to do.