Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:41:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 and other stuff

Started by Alberon, September 21, 2018, 06:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Quote from: Lemming on October 07, 2018, 04:58:29 PM
And also, Sisko went bananas and fucked off into a wormhole to abandon his son and become an alien outside of time.
Can't really blame him.

Edit: new page bajor

mothman

Fucking enough already. How many is that now? Six? Seven? Only one aired, maybe two more to start this year.

Chairman Yang

Quote"Erika and Boey are remarkable, exciting writers who bring a fresh perspective to the world of 'Star Trek,' and we're all thrilled to explore the next wild chapter in the life of Captain Philippa Georgiou."

How very Big Finish of you, Alex...

Quote'Since her first, scintilizing appearance in The Vulcan Hello; the Discovery core demographic have been tearing the very holes from their arses in anticipation of the continuing adventures of Lt. Cmdr. Daft Punk Helmet. "I'm non-specifically enthusiastic to return to earning Equity rates", said Bilv Shitpart, "and I hope the producers make it so... I can breathe in the helmet this time."'

Malcy

Lemming

First episode of series 2 was about fifty thousand times better than anything in series 1. Seems to have been a very deliberate shift in tone and style away from the first series, with the bridge crew getting to do stuff (and getting real names finally, yay) as they would have in previous Star Trek series.

The informal atmosphere on the ship is really refreshing too, with Pike openly welcoming criticism (something even Kirk got bitchy as hell about, on occasion) and the #bants between the crew. Some actually pretty good jokes too, by Star Trek standards.

Pike is great so far, very different to how he appeared in The Cage but who cares, because Pike was a complete dickhead in The Cage.

Easy to miss that not much actually happened over the course of an entire hour, the only real plot was the ship stuck on the asteroid, which was pretty standard but exciting enough to watch.

Not really hyped for the whole overarching Spock plot, and I can't say I really give a shit about Burnham's childhood either even though I like Burnham. As long as they keep going forward in this style, with relatively episodic plots occasionally interrupted by pointless flashbacks that you can just safely kind of ignore, it should be all good from here on.

Small Man Big Horse

I wasn't impressed by young Spock, he looks like a right surly twat.

Otherwise I pretty much agree with you and liked it a fair bit.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Malcy on January 17, 2019, 03:03:10 PM
The Short Treks are up on Netflix. Series 2 starts tonight.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/01/17/star-trek-short-treks-now-available-on-netflix-internationally/

They're a bit buried, in't they?  I can't be the only one who's never once clicked on the 'Trailers & More' button?  (OK, maybe once for that Arrested Development re-edit).

Sin Agog

Did Doug Jones have that languid, CGI-enhanced (?) arm-swinging walk in the first series?  It was so hypnotic I had to watch every one of those scenes twice over to catch the dialogue.

mothman

He's a contortionist and mime by training, so knows how to move. And he's in good shape for his age (58).

Alberon

Not much really happens in the first episode, but then it has to do the job of introducing Pike and the season arc. Tilly went a bit over the top, even for Tilly, but then that was addressed by Stamets in the episode. Though I did like the Pinkie joke.

There is a clear tonal shift. While it still looks like the Kelvin films, which I still don't like, it is closer to being TV Star Trek. I still have one big problem with the series and that's Burnham herself. She got swamped by Pike this week and she is still the least interesting of the main characters.

Chairman Yang

Greatly appreciated the general air of "Sorry! We'll get it right this time. No more fan fiction". There was actual, proper Star Trek nonsense in that episode - scanning, talking about the scanning, flying over to somewhere and scanning it by hand. Nobody died in a knife fight!

The Thunderbirds bit was just terrible, I loved it.

So, yeah er... if it wants to be like a fun, not awful version of the Kelvin movies now? Sure, fine!

Glass?! Come on

Malcy

I decided just to watch it instead of saving them up. Found it really boring. Didn't grab me and again it never really felt very Trek for me.

I caught up on those Short Treks first. Thought they were a load of shite apart from the Saru one which was ok until the ending where it was a bit eh?

I want to like it, I really do. I think I'll stick with The Orville for now.

kidsick5000

I liked it. I'm glad that it's not Lounge In Space.
70s road name (Anson Mount) was pretty good as a Kirk-ish cypher.
Some really good action. And all done with the right amount of pep.

phantom_power

After a dreadful start that made me question the point of continuing I really enjoyed this. Much more what I was expecting from Season 1. A lighter tone, better character work and a decent plot. Pike is a good character as well. I have no interest in Burnham's family shit and I wish they would stop the melodramatic, portentous voice-over

Alberon

Burnham is the least interesting character. She's technically the star of the show, but she's the only one left with a season 1 feel to her. The rest have moved on towards real Star Trek.

Spock never did like talking about his family and at the moment I can understand how he was even less likely to mention his foster sister than his half-brother, Sybok.

phantom_power

Burnham is fine when she is doing stuff that doesn't involve her family

phantom_power

Where are the shorts? They don't appear in the "Trailers and More" section of my Netflix

Sin Agog

They're probably there; they're just scattered about, like.  Anything that isn't a trailer is a short. First one's called, 'The Brightest Star' (is really our heart).

Sin Agog

Also:
Quote from: phantom_power on January 22, 2019, 10:23:39 AM
Where are the shorts? They don't appear in the "Trailers and More" section of my Netflix

Have you checked your wardrobe?  Seems like a more obvious place to look for an item of clothing than a streaming website.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: phantom_power on January 21, 2019, 04:39:03 PM
Burnham is fine when she is doing stuff that doesn't involve her family

I'm with you there, I really like the character and only get bored when she's off having a flashback.

phantom_power

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 22, 2019, 10:47:51 AM
They're probably there; they're just scattered about, like.  Anything that isn't a trailer is a short. First one's called, 'The Brightest Star' (is really our heart).

They definitely aren't there. My YouView box Netflix doesn't have Bandersnatch on it either so maybe I need to look on the PS4 app

Malcy

Johnathan Frakes has said that Picard is 'done with Starfleet' in his series and no longer a captain. Not a huge reveal as I think it was expected. Also says that he isn't allowed to divulge what capacity he will feature. I think it's a given that most if not all of the crew will feature somehow. It would be a shame if they didn't.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a26034044/jean-luc-picard-new-series-spin-off-done-with-starfleet-next-generation/

Also, Stewart will be on Graham Norton in a couple of weeks but I doubt he'll be giving away much.

Malcy

Liked it a bit more this week but I still want to do a Picard face palm fairly often. The dialogue is a bit to American as are the accents. Could Lorca not have had Isaac's British accent? Same for Tyler.

Liked the New Eden stuff. I hope they end up back there. I still can't decide whether Tilly is a welcome different kind of personality or just a massive pain in the arse.

One of my main issues are the characters. I think Saru is a brilliant creation. In design, character etc. Good to have Pike onboard and Number One in a couple of weeks as well but I really don't care about the rest of them. Especially Stamets and his dead boyfriend.

The space scenes are looking nicer this series. I wasn't keen last time round. Overall I'm quite intrigued by the arc. I hope the upcoming Klingon politics don't take over too much. Although it can never be as bad as DS9's Catholics in space Bajoran plots. I don't miss that shite!

mothman

Got alarm bells, frankly. First the religious overtones last week (and not just the "Thank Christ!" line), and now on top of the angels, we have ghosts... and gods? "Sufficiently advanced aliens are indistinguishable from Gods" - no they fucking aren't, and if you say different, well, I have another Starfleet captain who'd like a word with you - just as soon as he changes the shirt he tore in a fight just now.

OK, so these wouldn't be the first aliens in fiction to manifest as angels. And said angalien could pull somebody from Tilly's memories to manifest as. But given how powerful this angalien is or previously was, to be able to transport humans 50,000 light years away or set off beacons all around the galaxy, why then need to summon a starship (conveniently carrying a bit of magic gravity rock) to save the planet?

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on January 26, 2019, 12:17:54 AM
Got alarm bells, frankly. First the religious overtones last week (and not just the "Thank Christ!" line), and now on top of the angels, we have ghosts... and gods? "Sufficiently advanced aliens are indistinguishable from Gods" - no they fucking aren't, and if you say different, well, I have another Starfleet captain who'd like a word with you - just as soon as he changes the shirt he tore in a fight just now.

OK, so these wouldn't be the first aliens in fiction to manifest as angels. And said angalien could pull somebody from Tilly's memories to manifest as. But given how powerful this angalien is or previously was, to be able to transport humans 50,000 light years away or set off beacons all around the galaxy, why then need to summon a starship (conveniently carrying a bit of magic gravity rock) to save the planet?

It seemed a bit like it was testing the crews ability to deal with the situation while deepening the mystery for them. Proper fuckery.

I thought the Red Angel on the stained glass window looked a bit familiar. Just read an article about this week's episode and now I know why. I wont link to it but it was on the Radio Times website. Has anyone else picked up on it?

The theory seems to fit and is quite plausible. Be good if it turns out true as long as they don't make shit of it. Though thinking about it more it would conflict with canon a bit. But then that doesn't seem to matter in Discovery.

hermitical

Quote from: phantom_power on January 22, 2019, 03:08:33 PM
They definitely aren't there. My YouView box Netflix doesn't have Bandersnatch on it either so maybe I need to look on the PS4 app
Old fashioned browser based Netflix. They are there in the 'Trailers & More' section

mothman

Quote from: Malcy on January 26, 2019, 12:25:38 AM
It seemed a bit like it was testing the crews ability to deal with the situation while deepening the mystery for them. Proper fuckery.

I thought the Red Angel on the stained glass window looked a bit familiar. Just read an article about this week's episode and now I know why. I wont link to it but it was on the Radio Times website. Has anyone else picked up on it?

The theory seems to fit and is quite plausible. Be good if it turns out true as long as they don't make shit of it. Though thinking about it more it would conflict with canon a bit. But then that doesn't seem to matter in Discovery.

Oh, them.

Right. So we have a magical form of near-instantaneous travel thst is never mentioned again. The discovery of an evil parallel universe that is forgotten about not much more than five years later. And now they're going to encounter a race that's largely considered mythical by the next century...

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on January 26, 2019, 01:14:14 AM
Oh, them.

Right. So we have a magical form of near-instantaneous travel thst is never mentioned again. The discovery of an evil parallel universe that is forgotten about not much more than five years later. And now they're going to encounter a race that's largely considered mythical by the next century...

Yup. Although I think they may have been known about but there wasn't much evidence of them.

Just think of all those people who complained about canon being shat all over during Enterprise. Which it never really was. They must be going fucking bananas at Discovery.

What gets me is the amount of times the writers, crew, actors all talk about respecting the canon being a big concern of theirs and how everything will sort itself out. I'm sure they said that last series as well. Load of shite.

surreal

Quote from: mothman on January 26, 2019, 12:17:54 AM

I thought this felt a bit more like Trek than anything from Discovery so far.  As long as the "angel" thing doesn't turn out to be fucking Q or something.

mothman

The case made in Malc's aforementioned link seems to work (just go to the RT's website and search Star Trek). And there are obvious parallels between... them... and Disco's own go-anywhere-instantaneously technology. Perhaps this is laying the seeds for whatever reason there'll turn out to be for why Mushroom Drive never becomes the Starfleet default and is apparently unknown or forgotten (i.e. suppressed?) in the future, and why the Discovery herself is just left abandoned in a dust cloud a thousand years from "now." Perhaps interdimensional travel (which is part of, or a potential side effect/pitfall of the spore drive) attracts the attention of or opens the path to... Nameless Nonos From Beyond Space!! You know, yer basic Fauxthulhu tentacled horrors from the Dungeon Dimensions, that sort of thing.