Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:19:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Norm McDonald: "Bill Hicks and Mort Sahl are Shit"

Started by MortSahlFan, September 21, 2018, 10:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

Or, if you appeal to 70%, maybe it's a triumph for good taste? There's nothing more I can't stand when a performer looks down on the audience..

McChesney Duntz

For whatever it's worth, it's not as if Mort Sahl or Bill Hicks didn't/don't have their own pretty harsh assessments of what they consider(ed) their own comedic lessers.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on September 23, 2018, 12:29:03 AM
The Hicks stuff was part of something Norm said in the interview in the OP about bringing politics and social commentary into comedy. His statement on anti-comedy was made at a different time, on twitter. He only mentioned Kaufman in the latter.

After reading that twitter essay and then seeing him describe Hicks as "shit" and "not a comedian" I don't think its a stretch to assume he thinks that what Hicks did was anti-comedy.

Sin Agog

He seemed pretty complimentary of Russell Brand's stand-up in that NML they did, and his way of dealing with serious shit is to say it extra-quickly to mask the fact that he's not even trying to tell jokes anymore.  Though I guess Norm did call Brand out for lauding Hicks and Bruce at one point.

Anyway, at risk of him calling me out on misusing the word like he did with Corden, I couldn't be more nonplussed by anything he says in print interviews at this point.  Norm may be kind of retrogressive and socially adrift, but he's a funny fellow.  Was genuinely harrowed at how broken down and beaten up he sounded in that Stern interview.  He could barely even piece together that Kermit Jagger joke at the end.  People need to stop being so heavily invested in other people's glib, work-in-progress opinions.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 25, 2018, 11:23:39 AM
He seemed pretty complimentary of Russell Brand's stand-up in that NML they did, and his way of dealing with serious shit is to say it extra-quickly to mask the fact that he's not even trying to tell jokes anymore.  Though I guess Norm did call Brand out for lauding Hicks and Bruce at one point.

Anyway, at risk of him calling me out on misusing the word like he did with Corden, I couldn't be more nonplussed by anything he says in print interviews at this point.  Norm may be kind of retrogressive and socially adrift, but he's a funny fellow.  Was genuinely harrowed at how broken down and beaten up he sounded in that Stern interview.  He could barely even piece together that Kermit Jagger joke at the end.  People need to stop being so heavily invested in other people's glib, work-in-progress opinions.

I think Norm only complimented Brand because he isn't funny, and not a threat... Of course, he says that about Mort Sahl, because he revolutionized comedy, and Bill Hicks, who was been revered by many.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: MortSahlFan on September 27, 2018, 06:49:20 PM
I think Norm only complimented Brand because he isn't funny, and not a threat... Of course, he says that about Mort Sahl, because he revolutionized comedy, and Bill Hicks, who was been revered by many.

I doubt he sees them as a threat either. Hicks is long dead and Mort Sahl is, well, Mort Sahl.