Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:02:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Twitter censoring political satire [split topic]

Started by biggytitbo, September 21, 2018, 06:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Ohh dear

This is what happens when governments and silicon valley giants team up to decide what we can see and say, on false pretenses but very much to their mutual advantage.

How many people are they going to have to censor if that's a genuine reason?

shh

Along similar lines: https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/21/transphobic-student-editor-sacked-over-belief-that-women-dont-have-penises-7966914/

Reminded me of this line from Gray 'When students from China study in Western countries one of the lessons they learn is that the enforcement of intellectual orthodoxy does not require an authoritarian gov­ernment.'

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 21, 2018, 06:20:42 PM
Ohh dear

This is what happens when governments and silicon valley giants team up to decide what we can see and say, on false pretenses but very much to their mutual advantage.

How many people are they going to have to censor if that's a genuine reason?

Do you know why twitter did this? I'm assuming you don't, as you didn't mention it.

Woods posted this:

Which is part of a hoax campaign. Whether his tweet should have been flagged or not is certainly up for debate, but I'm not sure how you expect people to have that debate properly if you don't provide them with the full story.

biggytitbo

It's a joke, albeit a shit one. So is all satire banned on twitter now?

Barry Admin

Quote from: James WoodsPretty scary that there is a distinct possibility this could be real. Not likely, but in this day and age of absolute liberal insanity, it is at least possible.

lmao people still using twitter or Facebook in 2018.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 22, 2018, 11:28:42 AM

It's a meme. Some iterations of which are clearly not supposed to be funny on the surface, but are supposed to trick people into thinking they're real. E.g.:

thugler

Quote from: shh on September 21, 2018, 08:41:22 PM
Along similar lines: https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/21/transphobic-student-editor-sacked-over-belief-that-women-dont-have-penises-7966914/

Reminded me of this line from Gray 'When students from China study in Western countries one of the lessons they learn is that the enforcement of intellectual orthodoxy does not require an authoritarian gov­ernment.'

Well boohoo.

manticore

Quote from: thugler on September 22, 2018, 03:23:40 PM
Well boohoo.

Are you trying to vindicate what Gray says there? It looks like that to me.

thenoise

I thought the first was a bit heavy handed and the second is too subtle.  Still, they'll only get better if they keep trying.

thugler

Quote from: manticore on September 22, 2018, 04:30:52 PM
Are you trying to vindicate what Gray says there? It looks like that to me.

Should we turn a blind eye to racism and sexism and homophobia as well? Seems the same thing to me

Barry Admin

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/nomenmidterms-letwomendecide?full=1

The idea that any liberal could be dissuaded from voting by these memes is hilarious. I suppose there are people that dumb somewhere, though.

Is twitter actually bound by law to censor this kind of stuff?

marquis_de_sad

No one would ever be nudged into voting a certain way by fake news. Incidentally, we're going to get £350 million a week for the NHS once we manage to take back control from those Brussels bureaucrats and their intolerance for bendy bananas.

Barry Admin

The lack of confidence in Liberals ability to spot a joke is pretty funny, that's all I'm trying to say.

BlodwynPig

Sour cunt
Bendy bananas

Its like the last decade never happened. Rejoice!

manticore

Quote from: thugler on September 22, 2018, 05:17:26 PM
Should we turn a blind eye to racism and sexism and homophobia as well? Seems the same thing to me

Well it's up to you. If you would like to read what the censored bloke in question has to say about it, you can look here and make up your mind:

https://twitter.com/Sofocleous_A/status/1041729763289821186

https://medium.com/@angelos.sofocleous94/resignation-statement-humanist-students-president-elect-719d81079028

Fambo Number Mive

I don't understand what the joke is or what it is satirising. I can also imagine that, even if the person who tweeted it meant it as a joke, it could be used by Republican tweeters in order to create "fake news" and make people believe it is real. Whether that means Twitter's response is justified, I don't know but I can imagine that some people, either floating voters or actual Democrats, might either be fooled by the initial tweet itself or how it is used by Republicans.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Barry Admin on September 22, 2018, 05:36:34 PM
The lack of confidence in Liberals ability to spot a joke is pretty funny, that's all I'm trying to say.

I'm not sure why you and biggy are so keen to label this as simply a joke. The use of a soy boy picture is clearly a nod to people in the know, but the others are presented as if they're real. A humorous hoax is still a hoax.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Barry Admin on September 22, 2018, 05:36:34 PM

Why interpret something as a joke when you can misinterpret it and have a massive fucking benny about it? as my dear old nan used to say.

Why do you think it was meant as a joke? Whoever created that likely intended to deliberately mislead gullible people into thinking it was put out by the Democratic Party. Just because one would have to be a moron to be so fooled doesn't turn it into a "joke"

Bhazor

Heres a few other choice tweets by James Woods. Great bunch of lad.

Way satire! Hilariously spreading a far right wing conspiracy! Sooooo kooky!

LLLLOOOOOLLLLLLL

ROFL

Man I bet you laughed for hours at this one Titty. Lol!

thenoise

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on September 22, 2018, 06:39:13 PM
Why do you think it was meant as a joke? Whoever created that likely intended to deliberately mislead gullible people into thinking it was put out by the Democratic Party. Just because one would have to be a moron to be so fooled doesn't turn it into a "joke"

I thought it was so that right-leaning people would tut at it and think 'just like the sort of thing they would do!' and make sure to go out and vote republican.

Which is a bit misleading, in the sense that it isn't 'the sort of thing they would do', but it still broadly fits under the umbrella of satire.

Sebastian Cobb

Dunno if it's funny at face-value, but it is top trolling.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 22, 2018, 06:30:19 PM
Why interpret something as a joke when you can misinterpret it and have a massive fucking benny about it? as my dear old nan used to say.

No one's having 'a massive fucking benny' as far as I can tell. This was a minor hoax campaign from 4chan that Twitter are apparently taking a zero-tolerance policy towards. I'm not sure that's the right response, but it is funny is that you've reacted to a reaction that didn't actually happen.

Bhazor

Altogether now.

Twitter does not owe you an audience.
Youtube does not owe you an audience.
Facebook does not owe you an audience.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on September 22, 2018, 06:55:47 PM
No one's having 'a massive fucking benny' as far as I can tell. This was a minor hoax campaign from 4chan that Twitter are apparently taking a zero-tolerance policy towards. I'm not sure that's the right response, but it is funny is that you've reacted to a reaction that didn't actually happen.

Mate I've not even bothered to read the thread. Top defensiveness though.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Bhazor on September 22, 2018, 06:56:06 PM
Altogether now.

Twitter does not owe you an audience.
Youtube does not owe you an audience.
Facebook does not owe you an audience.

Alright 'Baz Luhrmann'.

bgmnts

I have absolutely no idea what any of this is.

A shit contribution I know but a good indicator of just how confusing and convoluted everyrhing is now. So, in a way, the most important post in the thread.

Pdine

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 22, 2018, 11:28:42 AM

Cry me a river, fuckface. <-satire.

Barry Admin

I shouldn't have split this off. Sorry. These threads are appalling.