Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:15:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terms that get bandied about willy-nilly

Started by Depressed Beyond Tables, September 22, 2018, 06:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Depressed Beyond Tables

Just saw Peter Crouch described as a 'comedy genius'. Seems like a nice guy but is he really changing the face of modern comedy?

Noonling

Cult, cult-like.

Trump's cult-like support, the cult of Corbyn, SJW cult...

Depressed Beyond Tables

One of the best live bands in the world: Keane

Yeah right pal.

Fambo Number Mive

hamfist

thenoise

Bhazor

Censorship.

Facebook won't let me share videos of me smashing puppies with a hammer, censorship. A music studio wants me to pay them after I got 500million views on one of their music videos, censorship. Suddenly I can't daub racist epitaths on a public bathroom without being told to clean it off, censorship.

Sebastian Cobb

Vodka Margarine

shiftwork2

Icehaven

I was going to say 'problematic' but it's almost too obvious.

Cuellar

"A danger to himself and others" pffffffffff

Brundle-Fly

'not on my watch'
'Based on true events'
'genre'

Icehaven

"Now the news, traffic and weather where you are."

Brundle-Fly

manticore

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 22, 2018, 07:02:38 PM
'woke'

To my knowledge 'woke' is almost always used perjoritavely or ironically though.

There have been an awful lot of threads like this over the last year or so.

The problem is that language lapses into cliche so quickly and easily, especially since the rise of technological reproduciion.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: manticore on September 22, 2018, 08:17:06 PM

The last year?  It's been a regular thread since the beginning of CaB. What's not to like?

My most hated phrase.

Blue Jam

dallasman

Want a really obvious and kinda serious one? Racism. There, I said it and I fucking earned it. I got a gun now because of this.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: manticore on September 22, 2018, 08:17:06 PM
To my knowledge 'woke' is almost always used perjoritavely or ironically though.

The problem is that language lapses into cliche so quickly and easily, especially since the rise of technological reproduciion.

Vice uses it semi-ironically in a way that compromises the actual good journalism it does. Vice does lots of things that do that though.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 22, 2018, 07:41:00 PM
'feisty' with regards to a strong woman

Not totally sure about this, I'd expect feisty to be used for outspoken and funny people women.  Actually, it's never used for a man is it?.  Almost all of the female characters in Coronation St since the dawn of time (1960) have been 'strong' but few were feisty.  Elsie Tanner perhaps, with her flame-red hair, which often attracts the same adjective.

Sebastian Cobb

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: shiftwork2 on September 22, 2018, 08:39:26 PM
Not totally sure about this, I'd expect feisty to be used for outspoken and funny people women.  Actually, it's never used for a man is it?. 

No, I've never heard a bloke being called 'feisty'