Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:07:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Terms that get bandied about willy-nilly

Started by Depressed Beyond Tables, September 22, 2018, 06:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiftwork2

Well I've only gone and looked it up Seb which I'd never normally post but it's quite interesting:

Quote from: dictionary(of a person, typically one who is relatively small) lively, determined, and courageous.
"a love story with a feisty heroine who's more than a pretty face"
touchy and aggressive.
"he got a bit feisty and tried to hit me"
Origin
late 19th century: from earlier feist, fist 'small dog', from fisting cur or hound, a derogatory term for a lapdog, from Middle English fist 'break wind', of West Germanic origin.

So a small farting dog.

Dex Sawash

Sebastian Cobb

Some cunt on here used the phrase 'uses the word wally in 2018' and I forgot to pull them up on it. Wally is an excellent put down and I'd happily down anyone who says otherwise in a bucket.

hummingofevil

"Snowflake" has definitely leaked over into the lexicon of offline dullards as I've heard it multiple times revently. And of course it's always used to describe some imaginary group of people who are offended by everything and whom  the user of the term snowflake seems to have themselves been irrationally offended by.

biggytitbo

I don't like it when people say someone is 'wearing a moustache'  as if they have the tash on as a hat, or are wearing it as a small waistcoat. Not something that has happened since 1982, admittedly.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

The most typical and annoying have to be 'awesome' and 'genius'. My friend was throwing these about as liberally as you like the other night, whilst speaking in that weird borderline hysterical, up and down the register, American-English hybrid accent almost everyone on YouTube uses now.

"Wait, wait, what. Are you saying you didn't think he was awesome in that show? Seriously?" Yes seriously. Like completely. I can solemnly assure you, I wouldn't lie about a thing like that.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 22, 2018, 11:50:35 PM
Some cunt on here used the phrase 'uses the word wally in 2018' and I forgot to pull them up on it. Wally is an excellent put down and I'd happily down anyone who says otherwise in a bucket.

Completely correct. A non-aggressive put-down like "wally" or cretin, pratt, plum, wazzock etc is a lot funnier than just calling someone a fucking dickhead. The fact it is so dismissive and yet can't even be bothered to be offensive is very funny.

Whoever disagrees is a right fuckin' wally.

Cuellar

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 23, 2018, 12:11:04 AM
I don't like it when people say someone is 'wearing a moustache'  as if they have the tash on as a hat, or are wearing it as a small waistcoat. Not something that has happened since 1982, admittedly.

I love this.

manticore

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 23, 2018, 03:46:25 AM
wazzock

There's something very pleasing about that word. It was one of the pleasures of living in The North in the 80s to hear people saying it. If you're foolish enough to look up its origin on the web you'll find a number of completely different yet confidently asserted derivations, which is pleasing also. It's nice not to know things sometimes.

'Nice' is subject to much unfair obloquy, but it fulfils a function no other word does, and is okay with me.

Dr Rock

'Doubling down.' I'm not sure what we said before, but its current ubiquity is getting on my tits.

canadagoose

"tone-deaf" seems to have mushroomed out of nowhere. I know what it means, but it seems to be used in an increasing number of situations.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 23, 2018, 02:11:40 PM
'Doubling down.' I'm not sure what we said before, but its current ubiquity is getting on my tits.

And the thing kfc did was actually a bit shit.

canadagoose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 23, 2018, 02:13:29 PM
And the thing kfc did was actually a bit shit.
It was smaller than I expected it to be, that's for sure. Yes, I am a bit fat.

Lordofthefiles

"We shall endeavour to redouble our efforts" - Utter gibberish.

Icehaven

Seconded.

Bhazor

Your mum, bandied about willy-nilly, much like your mum

Psmith

nobody just parks anymore they park UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sony Walkman Prophecies

The thing about doubling down is just how redundant it is. You can just go to your most recent verb and prefix 're' to it. That will almost always be word you were looking for.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 22, 2018, 11:50:35 PM

I'll fucking fight them. "wally" is my go to

Paul Calf

I think it might have been me that said that.

soz

Clownbaby

Ian Drunken Smurf

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 22, 2018, 08:46:39 PM
No, I've never heard a bloke being called 'feisty'

I've heard someone refer to an R2 unit as such.

Paul Calf

'Anti-establishment' when applied to billionaires who are in hock to the establishment, which is how they made their money.

'Philanthropist' when applied to billionaires who give huge amounts of money away but still have enough wealth to keep them in superlative luxury for a dozen lifetimes.