Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:18:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terms that get bandied about willy-nilly

Started by Depressed Beyond Tables, September 22, 2018, 06:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

I assume burning your biscuits is slang for something.

Depressed Beyond Tables

lebowskibukowski

"National Treasure". Normally OK with your big hitters, Attenborough, Fry etc, but then you see it attached to the likes of Terry Christian and Todd Carty. I used to associate it with 'elder statesmen, soon to be dead', but now it is flung at any fucker who has lasted to Blackpool week in Strictly

Pdine

Fambo Number Mive

"the internet does X" in response to a story, no matter how tedious.

"Donald Trump shouted poo and the internet was shocked".

"Speaking as a mum/taxpayer/lorry driver/parent/ex-cannon fodder/septic tank cleaner/flange inspector etc....."

Clownbaby

Articles and think pieces starting with "we need to talk about..."
Or "it's time we gave __________ a reappraisal"

canadagoose

Quote from: Clownbaby on September 27, 2018, 10:47:44 AM
Articles and think pieces starting with "we need to talk about..."
Or "it's time we gave __________ a reappraisal"
Oh, definitely. It's so patronising and typical of certain publications (The Guardian in particular).

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 26, 2018, 03:37:55 PM

Also Internet-related - "It's the thing that's sweeping the internet" - usually a full 2 pages of photos of something like "planking" or "cat breading" a couple of years after everyone else got bored of it.  Presumably a slow news day or 2 pages had to be replaced at short notice.

boki

non capisco

Quote from: boki on September 27, 2018, 12:43:40 PM
'Can I get...?'

Yeah, you can get.

TO FUCK.

In complete agreement. They all say 'Can I get...' now in London. And they don't just order everything in one sentence just so they can keep saying 'Can I get...' over and over again.

'Hi, mate, can I get a pint of Asahi? Cheers. Aaaaaaaaaand can I get a vodka and diet coke? Yeah, can I get a double? Aaaaaaaand can I get a pint of Neck Oil? Cheers, mate. Aaaaaaaaaand can I get another pint of Asahi?'

They're turning me into [banned troll], these young 'can I get' people.

a duncandisorderly

I'm not going to be doing this sort of thing any more.

jobotic

Agree with Can I Get?

Also "I'm good" as a response to "How are you?". "I'm okay/well/fucking miserable thanks" is the right response. I didn't ask how you've been behaving.

Ferris

I say "can I get" because I'm North American. I'm going to do it more in the UK now I know it irritates people.

kittens

i say it, nothing wrong with it. i also call the pavement the sidewalk and the bin the garbage can because i know it winds people up for some reason

pancreas

Quote from: kittens on September 29, 2018, 10:11:31 AM
i say it, nothing wrong with it. i also call the pavement the sidewalk and the bin the garbage can because i know it winds people up for some reason

If you do that around me, I'll cut your spine out.

gmoney

"Busy night?"

"Anywhere you can stop here mate"

Pingers

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 29, 2018, 04:37:24 AM
I say "can I get" because I'm North American. I'm going to do it more in the UK now I know it irritates people.

I've alerted border control pal, so dream on.

Twed

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 29, 2018, 04:37:24 AM
I like the more firm "I'll get". It isn't a question. I will get a sausage roll.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: boki on September 27, 2018, 12:43:40 PM
'Can I get...?'

Yeah, you can get.

TO FUCK.

That's become so prevalent now that I feel like I'm being wilfully contrarian by going up to the barista with a traditional "Can I have?" I'm Jacob Rees-Mogg and I'm holding the whole cafe hostage with my properly deployed grammar.

garnish

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 26, 2018, 03:37:55 PM

"Donald Trump shouted poo and the internet was shocked".

Followed by screenshots of cunt from Twitter making a shit joke about the news in a recycled meme format.

garnish

Quote from: gmoney on September 29, 2018, 01:13:06 PM
"Busy night?"

"Anywhere you can stop here mate"

We do this to recognise our embarrassment of employing a luxury service like a taxi, instead of public transport or just not going out boozing in town.

steve98

BANKS DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT THESE AMAZING CHECK PPI TIPS:

"Piss off".

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: garnish on September 29, 2018, 05:25:31 PM
Followed by screenshots of cunt from Twitter making a shit joke about the news in a recycled meme format.

Twitter keeps sending me emails of news stories... only when I click the link it's a news story told in the form of tweets.  Occasionally it's a story I'm interested in and yet the way it's laid out it tells me nothing so I have to Google the story and read it on a proper news site.  Annoying.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: garnish on September 29, 2018, 05:25:31 PM

Rags like the metro write articles like that, whereas the beeb seem to fluff it out a bit with an editorial that feels like it's explaining twitter to someone's nan in a nursing home.

Bogbrainedmurphy

Twitter is bad for words or turns of phrase that get rinsed for ages...

"Ya" instead of "your", "Unreal", "Announce"...

Dr Rock

All politicians: 'I've been quite clear that...' or 'Mrs May has been quite clear...' etc. And obviously it's usually a lie, they have not been quite clear at all. Once you notice it it drives you mental.

Isnt Anything

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on September 29, 2018, 04:54:24 PM
That's become so prevalent now that I feel like I'm being wilfully contrarian by going up to the barista with a traditional "Can I have?" I'm Jacob Rees-Mogg and I'm holding the whole cafe hostage with my properly deployed grammar.

'May I have?'

NoSleep

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on September 22, 2018, 07:09:21 PM
"The MSM"

The MSM bandy tons of shit on a daily basis (nothing willy-nilly about it), so it's fair dos to mention it quite regularly (as it's technically not shit just happening).