Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:55:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Marc

Started by Salles, September 23, 2018, 12:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salles

find myself missing Marc and I came here to say so.

I was listening to Krautrock and he was there.

Who else mißes Marc so much it hurts?

I loved that boy.

shiftwork2

Well, I don't think you're alone.  A lovely man who we were privileged to know.

Salles

I just really miss him.  I just miss him, the beautiful boy x

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Missed an opportunity while everyone was there at the meet to raise a toast. Sorry mate. I was thinking of Marc throughout the day. Xx

Flouncer

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that this place just feels different without him - his posts were an essential part of CaB, and now he's gone there's a sort of noticeable lack. I'd say that's a testament to how big a part he played in making the forums what they are. I should have spent more time engaging with him, and I dearly wish he'd had more time at the end there. Even in those circumstances, it still seemed very sudden and cruel. I thought we'd have the benefit of his company for a bit longer than we did - he was posting right up to the end, with the gentle stoicism and bravery that characterised his final days.

BritishHobo

The world seems a shitter place without his warm, fascinating insights. I miss just hearing about what he was reading. I miss him. I sometimes think I never appreciated until too late how absolutely rare he was.

Salles

Yep, he was rare.  I hope to be half the person he was.

C&B's just not the same.

timebug

Nice comments folks.Thanks.

Salles

Lots of love to you Timebug.  You created a lovely boy.

Shit Good Nose

I was watching John Landis' Into the Night the other night, and when David Bowie popped up the first thing I thought of was Marc and whether or not he'd seen the film.

We've lost a few beloved CaBbers over the years, but I don't think there's any exaggeration to the fact that the Marc shaped hole that has been left will be the most difficult one to accept.

Salles

SNG that's right.  The essence of Marc leaves a big hole.

I hope he's enjoying a mixed grill on the other side.

another Mr. Lizard

I found out a couple of days ago that Julian Cope's side project 'Dope' have yet another new album out. Wanted to post about it in Oscillations but just thought "what's the point, without Serge here to express enthusiasm about it too?". Hugely missed.

holyzombiejesus

There are loads of threads that I've considered starting where I've just thought 'what's the point?'. I really do miss the big man so fuck knows how his family and close friends must be feeling.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 23, 2018, 09:42:21 AM
I was watching John Landis' Into the Night the other night, and when David Bowie popped up the first thing I thought of was Marc and whether or not he'd seen the film.

That's happened to me a few times lately, and every time I finish a book the first thing I wonder is if he read it, and miss the opportunity to chat about with him so much.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: another Mr. Lizard on September 23, 2018, 11:57:54 AM
I found out a couple of days ago that Julian Cope's side project 'Dope' have yet another new album out. Wanted to post about it in Oscillations but just thought "what's the point, without Serge here to express enthusiasm about it too?". Hugely missed.

This is lovely.

non capisco

Marc texted me about a Joseph Knox crime novel that I'd praised either here or on Facebook, enthusing about it as well, saying "isn't it brilliant?" At the time I was having a shit in the toilets at the Dublin Castle having been caught short by the old IBS when I was walking through Camden. So I texted back explaining where I was and saying "Do you reckon this is the same cubicle that Doomy Dwyer was in during his famous shitting incident?". Marc responded "Have a look, there should at least be a brown plaque." That was the last time we communicated before he passed away soon after. If I'm cracking jokes and still sharing my natural enthusiasm about the things I love when I'm a dying man instead of shiteing it in abject terror the way I've always pictured it then it'll largely be because of Marc and the example he set. I've read few things as wise, moving and inspiring as our boy Serge writing about facing up to the end. He was such a mint human being and I still can't believe he's gone. Timebug, I hope you're doing OK. You made a great one.

Funcrusher

I also find myself seeing new releases and wondering what Serge's take on them would have been. I might have finally had a look at 'The Deuce' if Marc, the board's other George Pelecanos fan, was posting about it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Funcrusher on September 23, 2018, 04:49:45 PM
I also find myself seeing new releases and wondering what Serge's take on them would have been. I might have finally had a look at 'The Deuce' if Marc, the board's other George Pelecanos fan, was posting about it.

I started a thread about it last year but haven't bothered with the new series so far, I know it's only two episodes in but it just felt a bit pointless last year, so I'm waiting until it finishes to see what the critical response is.

I've only ever read one Pelecanos book but really loved it, so I have no idea why I haven't read any others, and really must remedy that.

Brundle-Fly

it is heartbreaking looking at old threads and seeing Serge and Joey Bananaduck's posts. It sort of keeps them a little bit alive? If I ever get seriously ill I would hope to channel Marc's calming outlook to all the woes he went through. Awe-inspiring.

I still think he was a bit harsh about Elvis Costello though.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 23, 2018, 06:25:35 PM

I still think he was a bit harsh about Elvis Costello though.

Serge goes up another notch in my estimation.

Brundle-Fly

Ha! I walked into that one.

Puce Moment

I miss him terribly and have only really stopped being properly upset about his passing in the last couple of weeks. It sounds ridiculous but I have not been able to watch Pointless until recently because we communicated about it every day it was on, dissecting all the good and shite answers and preparing to go on by learning the names of obscure countries. I have found watching the new season of Better Call Saul slightly marred by my knowledge that Marc would have loved it (I think). He noted that he was sad he would never get to see it and that breaks my heart.

Marc and I also used to argue about music sometimes, he hated my beloved My Bloody Valentine and Bad Seeds, and I hated his Sleaford Mods and LCD Soundsystem. Then, just last weekend, I found myself watching a couple of their videos that were posted to me by a friend. It clicked and I suddenly got it - I understood why people like them so much. Suddenly, the bloke standing doing nothing with a can of stella in his hand that used to annoy me so much suddenly became hilarious and brilliant. My first reaction was to immediately message Marc because he would have loved such a volte-face of taste.

Fucksakes.

Still, it really is not trite to celebrate how much he enriched so much of our lives. His passion, even in those last few days, really is a lesson for when I feel shit about my life.

nedthemumbler

I think poster Kelvin has a picture which looks very much like Serge's Bowie avatar, which gives me a jolt every time.  A sort of dark figure against an orange background.

tookish

I was talking to pancreas at the meet about Marc. Inevitably it did make me think about him. I think it wasn't until I actually got there that I realised he wouldn't be. Death is a big concept to absorb all in one go, and part of me really did expect to see him sat at the table with an orange juice, making everyone laugh.

He popped up in my Facebook memories today, a very silly exchange about eating conkers that made me smile to see. Hope it makes some of you smile too.

Kelvin

Quote from: nedthemumbler on September 24, 2018, 04:22:59 PM
I think poster Kelvin has a picture which looks very much like Serge's Bowie avatar, which gives me a jolt every time.  A sort of dark figure against an orange background.

15 years it took me to change my avatar  and when I do it reminds people of mourned loved ones.

bgmnts

I've only been here for a few months but it is quite saddening. I know Joeybananaduck sadly ended his life just before as well if memory serves.

It is interesting how one person passing who you barely know can affect you. It's a sad place. Hopefully they are in a better place.

Neville Chamberlain

Serge's enthusiasm for Breaking Bad has made me start watching Breaking Bad. I'm only 4 eps into Series 1 but it's really very bloody good!

Thomas

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 23, 2018, 10:54:46 PM
I have found watching the new season of Better Call Saul slightly marred by my knowledge that Marc would have loved it (I think). He noted that he was sad he would never get to see it and that breaks my heart.

Part of me - a small part of me - hopes the new series of Doctor Who is rubbish so that Marc's not missing anything. In a way, I'm glad he heard all the Bowie there ever was to hear.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Thomas on September 26, 2018, 09:47:54 AM
In a way, I'm glad he heard all the Bowie there ever was to hear.

If there is this fantastical Stella Street like afterlife we keep hearing about, Marc will be going to see Bowie, Prince and most of Can perform a concert tonight hosted by Sir Terry Wogan. Fenella Fielding on bongoes,

Ferris

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 23, 2018, 06:25:35 PM
it is heartbreaking looking at old threads and seeing Serge and Joey Bananaduck's posts. It sort of keeps them a little bit alive?

I definitely think this everytime I post some nonsense in JoeyBD's "Thread Ideas that are too shit to even make a thread in H.S. Art about".

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,63949.0.html

It's quite sad really, but still sort of puerile and funny. I find it very cathartic. I wish I knew Marc, I never really interacted with him much and feel I missed an opportunity as he was a top bloke by all accounts.