Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,174
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:21:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tattoos and that

Started by Ferris, September 23, 2018, 02:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

To avoid derailing a perfectly good thread about people wanting things, I'll start one here instead.

Ever got one? What of? Regret/no regret?

My very first one is booked in for 11.30am EST next weekend. Happens to be my birthday (but that isn't the reason). A nice little maple leaf because I'm not a natural-born Canadian so it's nice to affirm my canadianity. Not telling my folks though, because they fucking hate them so ill just pretend I don't have one. Easy.

bgmnts

I am hoping tattoos become so ubiquitous that I am the only person left in the western hemisphere who doesnt have one.

They look great on some people, crap on others. Being covered in tattoos always looks shit though.

What are you getting?

Konki

I have one tattoo on my right hand from when I got stabbed with a pen at school. Is that a tattoo? It's a blob of ink under the skin so I'm claiming it. And like most tattoos it looks shit.

seepage

Tattoos always look like a terrible skin disease to me

If I was forced to have one for some reason it'd be the BSI Kitemark & the Conformité Européenne CE on me bum

Salles

I've got the greatest tattoo in the world - but it covers up a shit tattoo. Be sure you want it forever because that fucker's going nowhere.

Ferris

About the size of a pound coin on my back right shoulder, little maple leaf. I can live with that.

I'm covered in scars and that so it'll be nice to have one I picked out for a change.

xmxmxmxmxmx

Not being a twat but tattoos are deffo one for the repeated threads thread: August / June. They seem less sneery as time goes on.

Anyway I've just pulled over in the lorry for a ginsters and shit so might as well share my ink with ya!

Got Del done back when I was slimmer, looks like he's a few lay-by pasties away from falling into the darkside these days. The writing used to say Tracey after me ex who's now shacked up with some billy big bollocks with two garages (drives an automatic tho, soft cunt). They did a cracking job changing it to Boycie.

Ryan Gosling

Never been interested in tattoos. Some look alright, some look silly.

Butchers Blind

Its a no from me.  Don't feel comfortable with the idea of someone I don't know drawing on me and knowing that it will never come off.

kngen

David Beckham really fucked them for everyone, didn't he? I used to have to wear long sleeves for anything vaguely official or formal (fully sleeved, as I am) to look like a reasonable member of society, but I was at a parent's night at my daughter's school last week, and I'd say easily 50% of those in attendance had tattoos on show. They really don't have the outlaw cache they once did, and when they became a fashion item (the stupidest 'fashion' item you could possibly get, short of lopping a limb off) I lost what little interest I had in them. It's been about five years since I last went under the gun.

Tbh, the fashions within the tattoo community (for want of a better word) were already annoying me and starting to erode my interest. When the neo-traditionalist aesthetic came into vogue and everyone started getting tiny Dan Higgs-style doodles scattered about their body like stamp collectors, I really started to doubt my affinity for the whole thing. I went to the London Tattoo Convention once (a wholly miserable experience which signalled the beginning of the end of a terrible relationship I was in, so I have at least that to thank for it) and saw crowds throng around one artist who was doing some sub-Sailor Jerry piece one someone, while Joe Capobianco, who was hot shit just a couple of years previously, was sat on his lonesome with a giant pile of signed books going nowhere. If I hadn't been in such a thunderously bad mood, I might have seen if he had a spare hour or two to get some work done. That way our respective birthdays wouldn't have been so fucking awful.

Also, they hurt - a lot - and only hurt more the older you get. No more for me, thanks. I'm happy with my 100% freehand sleeve from Dan Gold and a Mike Giant original that I managed to get from him not long before he hung up his guns to become a 'proper' artist.

Dex Sawash

Can't imagine what/where my tattoo would be. I don't like many things a lot. I do like those sandwich cookies shaped like maple leaves with maple goo in them  but not enough to get a tattoo.

Sebastian Cobb

Most of them are unimaginative shit. The rest are good.

Ferris

Quote from: Butchers Blind on September 23, 2018, 07:43:10 PM
Its a no from me.  Don't feel comfortable with the idea of someone I don't know drawing on me and knowing that it will never come off.

Yeah, anyone who goes in on a whim without knowing what they want and just submitting themselves to be permanently doodled-on is a bit daft.

I've had quite the year (without going into it), but it's nice to mark it all with a little thing all to myself. It's all been positive stuff (mostly) so that's good.

JesusAndYourBush

It's a no from me.  I couldn't think of any design that I'd not get bored with after a short period of time.

Quote from: bgmnts on September 23, 2018, 04:28:40 PM
Being covered in tattoos always looks shit though.

There's a few pop "stars" with tattoos like that.  Saw a photo of some boyband type a few years ago absolutely festooned with childish scrawled doodles, the sort you might find after falling asleep drunk in the presence of cunty friends who are a bit carefree with a biro.

This walking clipart bellwhiff...

easytarget

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 23, 2018, 04:49:09 PM
About the size of a pound coin on my back right shoulder, little maple leaf. I can live with that.

I don't know - so don't listen to me but you might want to go a bit bigger,  I understand that yer smaller tats look worse in the long run because they get all blurry. Maybe go a couple of inches in diameter? GAWN! GTFI!

QDRPHNC

Keep it moisturized and don't pick at it.

Ferris

Quote from: easytarget on September 24, 2018, 06:14:56 AM
I don't know - so don't listen to me but you might want to go a bit bigger,  I understand that yer smaller tats look worse in the long run because they get all blurry. Maybe go a couple of inches in diameter? GAWN! GTFI!

I never understood that logic - tattoos may look old and faded and shit, but by the time that happens so will I.

maett

QDRPHNC

Quote from: maett on September 24, 2018, 03:08:18 PM
Maple leaf, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l20Pac9YWM

Well... one of the world's best design studios says of Canada's flag, "arguably one of the world's finest flag designs," so... YA KNOW.

Ferris

easytarget

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 24, 2018, 02:26:49 PM
I never understood that logic - tattoos may look old and faded and shit, but by the time that happens so will I.
Well, yeah but that's not quite what I meant : big tat will look good for longer - you don't want it going all blurry and dull when you're still youngish. 

gilbertharding

Never been tattoo'd. I wonder what proportion of the population that would put me in at various points of my life.

I remember in the 70s it being internalised that tattoos were for rough men who'd either been in the forces or prison, who'd have splodgy unreadable green and red markings on their sunburned forearms. And being agog at a picture of 'The Most Tattooed Lady In The World' in the Guinness Book of Records (she had tattoos everywhere the bikini wasn't, except her face and hands).

If I were ever to have one, it might be the classic Popeye anchors on my puny forearms, or the Black Flag one despite the fact I'm not a massive fan. So, just as well.

/fascinating.

steve98

I'm Gilbert the Sailor Man. I'm Gilbert the Sailor Man.
I'm strong to the finich, cause I eats me spinach.
I'm Gilbert the Sailor Man.(x2 Opening)

Read more: Face To Face - I'm Gilbert The Sailor Man Lyrics | MetroLyrics

-------
Nah, sounds wrong.

Norton Canes

I would never have a tattoo firstly because there's nothing I think enough of to have permanently etched onto my body but mainly, I'm so anally retentive I'd find all kinds of faults however small with the artwork and all I'd ever see were the faults however tiny and insignificant people told me they were therefore I wouldn't like it at all.

Oh yeah and the pain.

Ferris

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 26, 2018, 12:27:50 PM
I would never have a tattoo firstly because there's nothing I think enough of to have permanently etched onto my body but mainly, I'm so anally retentive I'd find all kinds of faults however small with the artwork and all I'd ever see were the faults however tiny and insignificant people told me they were therefore I wouldn't like it at all.

That is why it is on my back, so I will never have to look at it and endlessly evaluate it for faults.

Neville Chamberlain

The thing is, if something or someone is so important to you, couldn't you just save yourself all the time, pain and money of having this something/someone tattooed on your person by just having a good old think about the something/someone instead? You know, take, I dunno, five minutes out of your day just to have a good old think about it. In that way, you've acknowledged its importance to you, but also saved yourself a lot of silly, tattoo-related bother.

gilbertharding

I'll always remember an episode of The Glumms on telly where Eth had a massive episode-long quarrel with Ron because she saw his "I LOVE SUE" tattoo.

Turned out he'd wanted "I LOVE SUET PUDDING/spoiler" but fainted halfway through.

Makes you think. And RIP Dennis Norden.

Ferris

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on September 26, 2018, 01:52:05 PM
The thing is, if something or someone is so important to you, couldn't you just save yourself all the time, pain and money of having this something/someone tattooed on your person by just having a good old think about the something/someone instead? You know, take, I dunno, five minutes out of your day just to have a good old think about it. In that way, you've acknowledged its importance to you, but also saved yourself a lot of silly, tattoo-related bother.

what if i forget tho

LanceUppercut

I have a few, none that are viewable when I have clothes on.

Your job prospects go down immensely if you have shit tattooed on your hands and arms.

Cuellar

You say that but I used to see a guy in the work canteen who had "I don't give a shit" tattooed on his arm.

I think he was some sort of scientist.