Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:12:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Telltale

Started by Rev+, September 23, 2018, 04:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Quote from: Bhazor on September 26, 2018, 09:54:23 AM
Why does no one ever remember The Quest For Glory games? Why is the entire history of point and click games reduced to five Lucas Arts games?

Because every single non-LucasArts adventure game was shite, without exception.

Please note that I said without exception here so that includes even the games you think weren't shite, thanks.

Mango Chimes

I tried replaying Monkey Island when it came out on mobile years ago. Could not be arsed.

Watching Limmy play some of these modern things, they don't look like point and clicks, more like a Saturday morning TV phone in. Press 8 on your telephone and your character will either jump over a log or not jump over a log.

On the other hand, I suppose they're just linear RPGs without the arse of having to do a hundred battles to level up your character before you can see the next bit of story. In which case, fair enough, who can be bothered, just tap X when you're told and let's move on.

Bhazor

Money Island 1 is rubbish. If you don't think it is then you're rubbish.

bgmnts

I'd like to go Money Island.

Replies From View

Yes Money Island is much worse than Monkey Island; I agree.

Moribunderast

Quote from: bgmnts on September 26, 2018, 09:05:47 AM
Point and click just doesnt work in the industry anymore, we are used to fluid controls and brilliant graphics, physics and AI. Point and click just isnt great anymore.

A couple of point and clicks have come out in the past few years i've played and I just dont have the patience for it anymore. I imagine most gamers are similar.

I still try to get into point-and-click games and there's a few recent ones I've really enjoyed - Kathy Rain, Gemini Rue, Fran Bow, Rumu, The Sexy Brutale - but the mix has to be exactly right with puzzle difficulty and interesting stories. Most people don't have the attention span we had when p-n-c games were big and nowadays it's too easy and tempting to check a walkthrough if you get stuck for too long. Gone are the days of my youth when a friend and I would rent Broken Sword (playing a p-n-c game on the Playstation! Yikes...) and struggle for an entire weekend with certain sections. There's still quite a few old-style adventure games being made by the likes of Wadjet Eye and Pendulo Studios, among others and they seem to do well enough for themselves by keeping within their means and not chasing mainstream audiences.

I don't really get the disdain that Telltale-style games bring out in people. Sure, they're pretty-much interactive DVDs and the choices are mostly an illusion but as long as the stories are good (as I thought they were in Wolf A Mongoose, TWD and Tales From The Borderlands) who cares? I always bristle at the gatekeeping attitudes some gamers have in terms of definitively saying what is and isn't a game. As if it's not enough to just enjoy the games you like, you must make sure to sneer at those who enjoy ones you don't. Just seems a bit silly to me.

bgmnts

I wouldnt class Sexy Brutale as a point n' click at all personally. It's more like a puzzld game.

I loved it though.

Also considering most writing in video games is abysmal, its unwise to hang your entire game on it really.

Beagle 2

I have a friend who is always wanking on about The Walking Dead. So I tried to watch the TV show, but it was shite. I spunked £35 on a compendium of the comic books and made it about half way through before giving up because it just seemed to be rinse and repeat. But the game really clicked and kept my interest up. I saw it as an interactive comic book, nothing more than that, and that was the right franchise for it.

Game of Thrones though, that just made me cry because the potential to make some sort of proper RPG or strategy game is so huge. And when you have the TV series and the books, vot is point dreadful game acting bad animation?

Excellent points I've made there and some solace for the sacked.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Moribunderast on September 26, 2018, 01:52:37 PM
Wolf A Mongoose

Please say this was an unintentional auto correct.

madhair60

Quote from: Bhazor on September 26, 2018, 09:54:23 AM
Why does no one ever remember The Quest For Glory games? Or the hundreds of Sierra games? Why is the entire history of point and click games reduced to five Lucas Arts games?

Cunts who pretend Monkey Island is funny.

Edit: Sierra 4 life

Replies From View

King's Quest 3 and the hours spent pottering around wondering what to do next when the ship I didn't know about had already fucking sailed.

Ferris

Quote from: madhair60 on September 26, 2018, 05:41:30 PM
Cunts who pretend Monkey Island is funny.

Edit: Sierra 4 life

We got a real LeChuck over here.

Mister Six

Quote from: popcorn on September 26, 2018, 09:48:35 AM
In their 90s heyday, point-and-click games hit a demographic that otherwise didn't play games. Like Myst and The Sims, they were non-threatening and safe - you couldn't go wrong or die or lose progress, there were no time limits or pressures, and didn't require dexterity to control the characters. My sister, who otherwise wasn't interested in games, played hours of Monkey Island and DOTT.

That's exactly the market that those hidden object games fill - you wander around a bunch of first-person-viewed, pre-rendered scenes, clicking on various objects, picking up items and solving rudimentary puzzles.

They're mostly not very good (in my limited experience) but there is a market there. Whether that audience would go for something more cartoony or weird (a lot of these are horror titles or detective stories), or tolerate more fiendish puzzles is another question.

Mister Six

Also all the gatekeeping and snobbery about what is and isn't a game can fuck right off.

Sierra does pale in comparison to LucasArts, mind.

The Lion King

Was walking dead season 2 not very well received? I really enjoyed it, thought Michael Madsen turned in a great performance, and it seemed the decisions had generally had a bit more impact on the story. Seemed to be room to develop Clem into a gore loving maniac

colacentral

Quote from: Mister Six on September 26, 2018, 07:09:40 PM
Also all the gatekeeping and snobbery about what is and isn't a game can fuck right off.

How is it snobbery? At least quote me if you're going to tell me to fuck off.

Telltale have gone out of business, you can barely find anyone who likes their games, and in my opinion it's because they're barely games at all, despite being marketed as adventures with meaningful choices and branching paths. I find it irritating when they get attached to LucasArts, as those actually were games - puzzle games with stories. The first Resident Evil is 50% a point and click game. I think a reply up thread about p&c appealing to non-gamers because you can't die misses the point - you can get stuck, which is essentially the same thing. It would be almost impossible to get stuck in a Telltale game.

I think a high quality p&c game in the traditional 2d format would do well on the Switch - the joycon can be used as a mouse when docked, and trying to work out a puzzle here and there in short bursts would be ideal for a commute. Considering retro gameplay and graphics haven't been a hindrance to any other genre of game I don't see why we have to keep going back to the commercial failure of Grim Famdango for why these games wouldn't work. I worry that Telltale being attached to the genre is going to dissuade anyone else from making an effort.

Zetetic

I think you can find quite a few people who like some of TellTale's games.

They're Choose-Your-Own-Adventure's tied to an immutable overarching story - player choices aren't 'meaningless' but their impact is necessarily separate to that story. Dontnod increasingly falls into this category as well - and Live Is Strange is extremely to dear to me.

Those mechanics are only appropriate to certain stories with particular themes, of course. That's quite limiting.

Zetetic

Also, to echo others, Wadjet Eye for fuck's sake if you want point-and-click puzzling on top of the above.

(The problem with only certain stories making sense with these mechanics remains, mind you.)

Deyv

I love Monkey Island! It was introduced to me by my late uncle, who was a great guy. By insulting MI, you're basically digging him up and slapping his remains in the face. That's technically illegal.

I haven't played Tales of Monkey Island to completion yet, but I heard the theme tune and it's the worst version.

Glad that Telltale are going.

madhair60

Monkey Island is great but it's not funny. At all.

Great fucking music.

Deyv

Oh I misunderstood. I mean, I disagree anyway, but I'm glad you like the music.

FredNurke

I liked the Strong Bad game they did. Haven't played any of the others.

Ferris

Quote from: FredNurke on September 27, 2018, 12:12:06 AM

I think I played that on the Wii. It was good I think?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Moribunderast on September 26, 2018, 01:52:37 PM
I still try to get into point-and-click games and there's a few recent ones I've really enjoyed - Kathy Rain, Gemini Rue, Fran Bow, Rumu, The Sexy Brutale - but the mix has to be exactly right with puzzle difficulty and interesting stories. Most people don't have the attention span we had when p-n-c games were big and nowadays it's too easy and tempting to check a walkthrough if you get stuck for too long. Gone are the days of my youth when a friend and I would rent Broken Sword (playing a p-n-c game on the Playstation! Yikes...) and struggle for an entire weekend with certain sections. There's still quite a few old-style adventure games being made by the likes of Wadjet Eye and Pendulo Studios, among others and they seem to do well enough for themselves by keeping within their means and not chasing mainstream audiences.

I don't really get the disdain that Telltale-style games bring out in people. Sure, they're pretty-much interactive DVDs and the choices are mostly an illusion but as long as the stories are good (as I thought they were in Wolf A Mongoose, TWD and Tales From The Borderlands) who cares? I always bristle at the gatekeeping attitudes some gamers have in terms of definitively saying what is and isn't a game. As if it's not enough to just enjoy the games you like, you must make sure to sneer at those who enjoy ones you don't. Just seems a bit silly to me.

Have you ever played Nelly Cootalot? As that's a modern point and click that I thought was a lot of fun.

Bhazor

Quote from: FredNurke on September 27, 2018, 12:12:06 AM

Hector Badge of Carnage was good too. Notably both games were written and designed by people outside the studio.

Quote from: Mister Six on September 26, 2018, 07:09:40 PM

Please don't ever use the word gatekeeping again.

popcorn

Quote from: Mister Six on September 26, 2018, 07:07:08 PM
That's exactly the market that those hidden object games fill - you wander around a bunch of first-person-viewed, pre-rendered scenes, clicking on various objects, picking up items and solving rudimentary puzzles.

They're mostly not very good (in my limited experience) but there is a market there. Whether that audience would go for something more cartoony or weird (a lot of these are horror titles or detective stories), or tolerate more fiendish puzzles is another question.

Fiendish puzzles aren't going to put many people off in an age where you can google the answer in 20 seconds. As for the appetite for "cartoony or weird", that assumes the LucasArts format would only accommodate cartoony or weird styles like Dott or Monkey Island, when in fact I think I could accommodate a far broader range of moods and genres. Detective stuff would be ideal.

falafel

Quote from: colacentral on September 26, 2018, 07:52:03 PM

I think a high quality p&c game in the traditional 2d format would do well on the Switch

Have you tried Thimbleweed Park?

popcorn

Unfortunately Thimbleweed Park is mid-quality at best.

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on September 27, 2018, 03:55:51 PM
Unfortunately Thimbleweed Park is mid-quality at best.

Nah it was good. Reminded me of the good LucasArts games.