Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:22:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Strictly Come Dancing

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, September 23, 2018, 09:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

OK, just seen the result. Interesting.

jobotic

The voting public means the Ukip voting public, right?

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: machotrouts on October 13, 2018, 09:55:41 PM
And finally, Kevin Clifton smashed his face into a perfectly good birthday cake. He actually did it twice because it wasn't sufficiently destroyed the first time – classic psychopath behaviour. Stacey and Kevin exist to promote waste and spread suffering. I fucking hate them.

That really pissed me off. Some poor runner had to go to the effort of rustling up a cake with their photo on and Kevin smudged/squashed it with his sweaty face that didn't even get a cheap laugh. Thanks a lot mate.

mothman

Quote from: jobotic on October 14, 2018, 08:06:40 PM
The voting public means the Ukip voting public, right?

It's hard to really say. You don't vote for the person you want to see leave, after all. So how anyone could actively skew the result to get rid of anybody non-white, I don't know. It's obvious though - and much more troubling - that there seems to be a marked reluctance on the part of the voting public to call in in favour of a non-white celebrity, particularly male ones. Melvin Odoom and Jimi Mistry were two who despite being OK dancers went out early their years. Simon Webbe (another from Blue) ended up in the final, but was in the dance-off every other week despite consistently getting around 30 out of 40 from the judges.

But then on the other hand Ore Oduba won two years ago, so..?

Isnt Anything

watched the results show for the first time in years as i fell into it straight after doctor who and wanted to see what happened to Justin Lee Walsh

disappointing

but i did like the voiceover woman advertising that theres 'plenty of black stage action on Instagram Twitter Facebook ....'

the mind boggles about her recreational choices

machotrouts

I can't believe the Backstreet Boys have only existed in my lifetime. They looked and sounded like they'd been dragged out of a hospice to perform. Those weren't vocals, they were death throes. Ruined my weekend. I will never again enjoy that song, "Backstreet's back. Alright."

Katie Piper got eliminated from Strictly the same day the acid lobbing man got released from prison. The circle of justice. Of course, she's the real winner – we all know and like her, and he'll struggle to even get on Dancing on Ice.

Presumably nobody was surprised by Charles in the bottom two again. Interesting fact: I happened to be reading the Wikipedia page for the band Odyssey when 'Use It Up and Wear It Out' started playing. I mean on the Saturday, not on the Sunday, because I'd have already known he was dancing to it on the Sunday, and even I have better things to do than plan a mundane coincidence in advance to tell you all about it. Look, I'm sorry, I thought this would be an interesting fact, but it's required too much clarification. I should have kept it to myself. I'm sorry.

Sean(n) and Katya escaped the dance-off entirely – too high up the leaderboard to tell whether or not they got any votes from the extra couple of million people who tuned in to see if the BBC would include all the footage of them rawdogging on the training room floor. The scandal went largely unaddressed – except for an interview they specifically had about it on 'It Takes Two'. I can't find this on YouTube, presumably because no sentient human has ever deliberately watched or recorded 'It Takes Two', or had any interest in doing so except in hindsight, sort of like how there's no good footage of the first plane hitting the tower on 9/11.

machotrouts

Yesterday saw the first "Couple's Choice" dances of the series, where couples get to choose one of three non-ballroom/latin disciplines to dance: contemporary, jazz/theatre, and street/commercial. Lauren and Charles got to do the first two, presumably because they're expected to fuck off imminently and the show doesn't want to blow its load too soon; Lauren did contemporary, Charles did street. The Lauren one was floaty and posey and my mum was so moved by it she started crying. "That was BEAUTIFUL. Tom, don't you think that was BEAUTIFUL?" She left the room before the judges basically said "that was dogshit but well done for having a go", and when I told my mum later she said "but it was BEAUTIFUL? Didn't they think it was BEAUTIFUL?". The Charles street dance, though, fair enough, I enjoyed that. That's a link to the dance, not to me enjoying it. If you want a video of me enjoying it you're going to have to specifically request that.

Going to get a bit awkward when the frontrunners get to do these dances – you'd expect Ashley Roberts to be more qualified to choreograph and judge "street/commercial" than her partner or the judges, and didn't they say the jazz/theatre category could include burlesque? Literally her job. It'd be like if they introduced categories for cricket or newsreading or swimming or DJing or helping sick children or Steps routines or infidelity or being in Casualty or having a famous sister or being in Red Dwarf or berating the Japanese.

Alfonso Ribeiro joined us as a guest judge this week. Alfonso is responsible for the only 20 seconds of America's Dancing with the Stars I've ever seen, where he broke into the Carlton dance, which is a dance he apparently did in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Never watched that beyond occasionally catching the opening credits after I'd finished watching The Simpsons on BBC Two as a child and hadn't got round to turning the TV off yet. Meaningless to me. 20 entire seconds of my life down the fucking drain.

I think this is the third time they've had a guest judge whose qualification is winning Dancing with the Stars, after Donny Osmond and Jennifer Grey. "Was Nicole Scherzinger busy", I hear you ask? Well, she was recently announced as one of the judges of the upcoming American series 'The Masked Singer', which "will feature celebrities singing in a head-to-toe costume and face mask which conceals their identity from other contestants, panelists, and audience". She shares the judging panel with Ken Jeong, Robin Thicke, and Jenny McCarthy. Jenny McCarthy! In America, you can spend a solid decade getting thousands of children killed and still be a light entertainment personality, as long as you in no way apologise or atone for it. Fair play, they fucking go all in on that "Land of Opportunity" shit. If Darcey Bussell decided to be a serial killer, I think we'd just fire her, and perhaps that's where the UK is failing as a nation.

Danny is top of the leaderboard and got the first 10 of the series for his quite good jive, so that's his inevitable shock dance-off postponed for a bit. Vick is bottom of the leaderboard after a shambolic Cha Cha Cha. You could call it a "Cha Cha Chambles"!!!!! Sean(n) will test whether the gaslighting enthusiasts are voting this week, as he's joint second from bottom with Lauren after doing a quickstep to a Jake Bugg song, as if he isn't already enough of a cunt.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Jenny McCarthy's a child killer ?

Dex Sawash

She is, but I would not trade every one of those children's lives if it meant losing Dirty Love (2005)

edit- I didn't word that right but dirty love>live kids

olliebean

Well, that pretty much confirms that the judges have been instructed to keep Sean(n) and Katya in the competition for now. Seemed like he wasn't even trying in the dance-off, and still he got through.

gilbertharding

Quote from: olliebean on October 21, 2018, 09:53:04 PM
Well, that pretty much confirms that the judges have been instructed to keep Sean(n) and Katya in the competition for now. Seemed like he wasn't even trying in the dance-off, and still he got through.

Producers forced to deny that it's fixed. Which day does the eliminated couple appear on the Zoe Ball show?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/oct/23/strictly-come-dancing-bbc-denies-fixing-allegation-after-seann-walsh-survives

Captain Z

So what happened, was there a massive difference in the bottom-two performances? What do the producers have to gain by keeping him in?

Not that I would be surprised, a friend of a friend made it to the finals of The Voice once and said that even as they were voted off in the third week it was obvious who the producers were pushing to win (Literally the only time I have bet online - that person did win and bagged me a tidy profit).

gilbertharding

Clearly I'm not a judge of dancing - but Sean(n)'s dance REEKED of 'will this do?', whereas the girl also in the dance off did much better.

I think that if it's true and it's fixed, they want him to still be in the show so people tune in to watch the terrible arsehole eventually get humiliated (or something). And perhaps another crowd of people watch to see the man, guilty of nothing more than a singledrunkenmistakeandit'snoneofourbusinessanyway dance nicely and prove the doubters wrong.

olliebean

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 23, 2018, 03:30:40 PM
Clearly I'm not a judge of dancing - but Sean(n)'s dance REEKED of 'will this do?', whereas the girl also in the dance off did much better.

To me, his performance in the dance-off reeked of "Fuck it, I'm out anyway, so this'll do." Honestly couldn't believe my ears when one of the judges (I think it was Darcy) said something about him having corrected more mistakes than the other couple, because I spotted several that he hadn't made in the original performance, and they must have been blindingly obvious because I know f-all about dance.

Neomod

Yep fixed.

For viewers.

But he won't win.

Norton Canes

Quote from: machotrouts on October 21, 2018, 06:39:03 PM
didn't they say the jazz/theatre category could include burlesque?

Damn, and Susannah's gone

machotrouts

Vick was bottom of the leaderboard by 4 points, and her dance was 50% walking down some stairs, which means she didn't really have much scope to improve in the dance-off, short of swandiving over the bannister like when you're trying to kill Lara Croft. That it was still a split decision should be a damning indictment of Sean(n), not evidence that it's fixed in his favour.

I don't like that I keep typing "Sean(n)", it's like those people who always refer to politicians by their stupid unfunny nicknames, I have a 50-year-old Facebook friend who consistently refers to Donald Trump as "Donny Fartpants", and I hate him, I want him to die, but I feel like choosing one of "Seann" or "Sean" is committing one way or the other now, it's one of those issues where you can't be neutral, you have to take a side, I know he goes by Seann, but the veil has been lifted, we can't pretend not to know he's a Sean, he's been thoroughly and publically Seaned. Look, it's "Seann", okay, I'm going with Seann, that's fine. I apologise to the gaslit lady if this comes across as complicity but I am not a deadnamer.

I'm fine with the result. I won't miss Graziano Di Prima, or Tess Daly honking "LADIES! Look at the latest HUNK in town! Here's our new EYE CANDY! You want to have SEX with this guy! Get a load of this HOT PIECE OF DICK!" while he's standing there like

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: machotrouts on October 25, 2018, 02:39:57 AM
I don't like that I keep typing "Sean(n)", it's like those people who always refer to politicians by their stupid unfunny nicknames, I have a 50-year-old Facebook friend who consistently refers to Donald Trump as "Donny Fartpants", and I hate him, I want him to die, but I feel like choosing one of "Seann" or "Sean" is committing one way or the other now, it's one of those issues where you can't be neutral, you have to take a side, I know he goes by Seann, but the veil has been lifted, we can't pretend not to know he's a Sean, he's been thoroughly and publically Seaned. Look, it's "Seann", okay, I'm going with Seann, that's fine. I apologise to the gaslit lady if this comes across as complicity but I am not a deadnamer.

The revelation that he's actually Sean rather than Seann makes no sense. I had assumed wacky parents decided to chuck an extra 'n' on for a laugh. Fair enough, there was probably another Sean Walsh in the Actor's Union but at least be more creative than sticking a 'n' on the end of it. It doesn't even look pretentious or anything, it's just wrong.

Jockice

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on October 25, 2018, 11:30:26 PM
The revelation that he's actually Sean rather than Seann makes no sense. I had assumed wacky parents decided to chuck an extra 'n' on for a laugh. Fair enough, there was probably another Sean Walsh in the Actor's Union but at least be more creative than sticking a 'n' on the end of it. It doesn't even look pretentious or anything, it's just wrong.

I know a Sean Walsh. He's not famous though. So there we go.

Clownbaby

When will your lies end Sean?

First the cheating and now this? A completely different name? He's a snake in the grass

gilbertharding

I agree that 'Sean(n)' is a shit thing to type. And 'Sean' is kind of deadnaming... but how to put across the righteous contempt for him (as a human being AND a comedian)?

Easy: 'Seannn'.

olliebean

Or perhaps, in view of what a snake he is, 'Sseann.'

AsparagusTrevor

Does he even deserve any 'n's?

'Sea'

Norton Canes

machotrouts

I don't mean to turn this into another Halloween cultural appropriation thread, but: why the fuck was Graeme in full-on brownface?

"Oh no, Graeme, without this make-up, you can't possibly play a zombie... you're far too pale."

mothman

My wife was insisting they'd blacked him up, too.

Clownbaby

Is it not just bruised and leathery dead skin?

Soup

PC gone mad from the judges there. I demand justice for loverat.

Clownbaby

Well I'm glad Ssssssssean(n)is put cause he's been doing the same bare minimum performance for the last 3 dances

Is it weird that I kind of fancy Craig Revel Horwood

I don't think the Doctor Who dance was as good as they said it was