Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:21:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Murdoch Sky Bid Fails (But It Will Still Be Controlled by Cunts)

Started by Phil_A, September 23, 2018, 10:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

That's that for old Rupert, Comcast have successfully outbid Fox and now have control of the entire corporation

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/sep/22/comcast-outbids-rupert-murdochs-fox-to-win-control-of-sky

So basically Sky won't be under the control of a single despotic arsehole, but a vast faceless corporation of them. Hmm.

bgmnts

steveh

So now with US owners we have Sky, Virgin, Channel 5, the majority of the production companies supplying the BBC, ITV and Channel 4, a majority of the other most-watched pay or free TV channels and the two biggest streaming companies in the UK, Netflix and Amazon. ITV also has several large US media shareholders who would quite like to acquire it fully and while the Tories haven't privatised Channel 4 yet it's still on the list - they had talks before with Discovery who really want it. After Brexit the EU rules on how much channels must source locally will no doubt be removed, so if the American owners lose interest in UK-sourced content that doesn't seem great for the future of British TV.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

LOVE YOU BIG MAN
LOVE YOU BOSS
LOVE YOU NECROTIC VEST WEARING CHIMP
LOVE YOU WELL POISONING RACIST MEGALOMANIAC

Bhazor

I honestly can't wait for Murdoch to die. Just to see what kind of cunts will rise up to pay tribute to him.

bgmnts

Quote from: Bhazor on September 23, 2018, 10:38:46 AM
I honestly can't wait for Murdoch to die. Just to see what kind of cunts will rise up to pay tribute to him.

Benedict Arnold, Lizzy Borden, Richard Nixon, John Wilkes Booth, Blackbeard the Pirate, John Dillinger and the starting line of the 1976 Philadelphia Flyers!

Pseudopath

Ha ha! Glad that Murdoch's dream will never come to fruition, although I'm sure the 12 billion dollars Fox will receive might soften the blow a little).

I guess there's a good chance that Sky One will start showing The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. Be still my beating heart.

steveh

Murdoch's now the second-largest shareholder of Disney though, who are the new owners of most of Fox, as well as still being the controlling shareholder in the bits of Fox he kept, like Fox News. He's also a growing owner of radio stations in the UK like Virgin Radio and TalkSport.