Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:13:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Modern Eyebrows On Women

Started by Ryan Gosling, September 23, 2018, 07:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Gosling

This post is no way an attempt to belittle the female sex. Its a post about how funny some eyebrows look, like they have used permanent marker.

Barry Admin

A lot of them do look completely and utterly ridiculous. I strongly agree!

flotemysost

There are so many brow-enhancing products on the market now that I guess some people will end up going for a shade or texture that doesn't match their natural features, although I'm sure that's the intention in some cases. As with any sort of personal physical adornment, people can do whatever they like, it doesn't bother me.

I definitely could have used some of those products when I was 13 and plucked the absolute shit out of mine (the look in vogue at the time was probably more Cat Deeley than Kim Kardashian - being slightly hirsute and foreign-looking wasn't really fashionable back then), before realising I looked ridiculous and they would never grow back quite the same. I should have just ridden out the Frida Kahlo years until it was cool. (Edit: this is in no way meant as an insult to Frida Kahlo, I think she was beautiful.)

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: flotemysost on September 23, 2018, 07:34:54 PM
I definitely could have used some of those products when I was 13 and plucked the absolute shit out of mine (the look in vogue at the time was probably more Cat Deeley than Kim Kardashian - being slightly hirsute and foreign-looking wasn't really fashionable back then), before realising I looked ridiculous and they would never grow back quite the same. I should have just ridden out the Frida Kahlo years until it was cool. (Edit: this is in no way meant as an insult to Frida Kahlo, I think she was beautiful.)

Isn't the op about plucked-then-drawn-back-in-with-marker-pen eyebrows, though?

Emma Raducanu

They were the first sign of aging for me. The odd petruding whisker from my brow. I now have to observe them on a weekly basis to make sure everything is in check.

flotemysost

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on September 23, 2018, 07:38:51 PM
Isn't the op about plucked-then-drawn-back-in-with-marker-pen eyebrows, though?

I have a few gaps still which I sometimes lightly fill in with a felt-tip type pen, but it normally looks pretty natural. But yeah, I imagine the OP was thinking more of the Jodie Cunningham look (not intending to use an example of someone whose looks have so obviously been used as a stick to beat her with, as I know that's not the OP's intention - I'm just not down with celeb culture enough to think of anyone else right now)

I guess you could say the same about any style which flaunts its artifice rather than attempting to look like it was formed in the womb - not everyone's going to find it attractive, but some people will - it doesn't really matter either way.

thenoise

I'm a bit alarmed by the modern thing of having dyed blond hair with dark thick brows.

Not that fussed though.

Blue Jam

Sebastian Cobb

There was a trend a while back where it looked like 'the lasses' were just sticking shaped electrical tape above their eyes.

Buelligan

I met a man like that today, a great big old man with eyebrows like a brolly girl.  I think he carried it off pretty well.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: flotemysost on September 23, 2018, 07:52:05 PM
I guess you could say the same about any style which flaunts its artifice rather than attempting to look like it was formed in the womb - not everyone's going to find it attractive, but some people will - it doesn't really matter either way.

As a former goth, I'm not against flaunting artifice. However, I never really liked plucked then drawn in eyebrows when goths had them either.

bgmnts

It does weird me out that the current fashion is to draw eyebrows on in the style of Captain Scarlet.

Do men find it attractive?

Pijlstaart

They are to catch raindrops, that is what they do, so your eyes do not fill with rain. Think many more body parts need brows, but are doomed to suffer. Think women have eyebrows too, no more than we, or even less. I am not jealous.

biggytitbo

I don't know what the drawn on clown ones are all about. Is it some kind of mental illness?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Pijlstaart on September 23, 2018, 08:21:09 PM
They are to catch raindrops, that is what they do, so your eyes do not fill with rain. Think many more body parts need brows, but are doomed to suffer.

Thank goodness for my beer gut.

buzby

They are known as 'Scouse Brows', as they were introduced to the world by one of the women on E4's Desperate Scousewives back in 2011 when she was auditioning for a job as a beauty stylist.

Noonling

All eyebrows are weird when you focus on them.

Clive Langham

Eyebrows do actually have a purpose, don't they? They're to stop the sweat from dripping into your eyes.

Or am I wrong about that?

Presumably drawn-on eyebrows don't do that.

owlboy

...unlike their eyelashes which have always been entirely credible.

kngen

Quote from: thenoise on September 23, 2018, 07:53:30 PM
I'm a bit alarmed by the modern thing of having dyed blond hair with dark thick brows.
My mate did that. Then he decided to dye his eyebrows too. Which made him look fucking mental. I came out of my local corner shop and he shouted across the road to get my attention, except he was unrecognisable - I shat myself because I thought I'd somehow enraged an albino nutcase who was becoming increasingly agitated as I tried to ignore him and scoot off home.

Shit Good Nose

Our niece has been painting her eyebrows on since the age of about 13 (she's nearly 18).  They look fucking ridiculous.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with her real eyebrows, but apparently having fare eyebrows isn't acceptable these days, or summat, so it's much better that you look like a makeup test for the next Joker film.

pancreas

Trojan_Jockey

Quote from: bgmnts on September 23, 2018, 08:20:10 PM
It does weird me out that the current fashion is to draw eyebrows on in the style of Captain Scarlet.

Do men find it attractive?

Yes, if a woman doesn't have thick, solid triangular eyebrows then I won't go near them.

Noonling

I think more people should just go all out

Cuellar

I reckon don't worry about it lads.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Noonling on September 23, 2018, 10:03:32 PM
I think more people should just go all out

Yes, I'm all for people looking like they're from space. I'm not even joking.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Noonling on September 23, 2018, 10:03:32 PM

All she needs now is a big moustache and she can get a job as a warning sign.

Ryan Gosling

Quote from: flotemysost on September 23, 2018, 07:34:54 PM
There are so many brow-enhancing products on the market now that I guess some people will end up going for a shade or texture that doesn't match their natural features, although I'm sure that's the intention in some cases. As with any sort of personal physical adornment, people can do whatever they like, it doesn't bother me.

Thank you for such an elegant answer. I think as time moves on other new fads will come into fruition, I'm sure the fashion companies will lap it up.

studpuppet

Quote from: buzby on September 23, 2018, 08:40:54 PM
They are known as 'Scouse Brows', as they were introduced to the world by one of the women on E4's Desperate Scousewives back in 2011 when she was auditioning for a job as a beauty stylist.

I'm afraid David Ferrie (as portrayed by Joe Pesci in JFK) was way ahead of the game:

As were Vic & Bob: