Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:45:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

White Album 50th anniversary editions

Started by Rich Uncle Skeleton, September 24, 2018, 05:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Jack

John or Paul? Who was the best? I mean, Paul, obviously, but for the sake of argument

wosl

Soup

I mean, it is Paul, obviously. But both stories are sort of true aren't they. Paul was a bit commercial and fuddy duddy and like his face looks while John was more invested in the ideas (at least) of the counterculture (as fuzzily as he may have expressed em). And yet Paul probably also was the more talented musician, or at the very least he was certainly the harder working and the more adventurous, despite his reputation. And Lennon was definitely a cunt, but McCartney was and still is a bit of a bell.

It's annoying because I can't find it, but there's a McCartney quote about the White Album where he says something along the lines of "People are always saying you could edit it, or it could've been shorter, could have chopped a few songs y'know? And I just think, come on, it's the White Album".

And so it is with John n Paul. I just think, come on, it's Lennon/McCartney

Ferris

Quote from: New Jack on November 15, 2018, 11:06:56 PM
John or Paul? Who was the best? I mean, Paul, obviously, but for the sake of argument

I got the reference, but only because I'm the sole survivor of the Peep Show rewatch. Must try and reboot that.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Soup on November 15, 2018, 11:31:29 PM
It's annoying because I can't find it, but there's a McCartney quote about the White Album where he says something along the lines of "People are always saying you could edit it, or it could've been shorter, could have chopped a few songs y'know? And I just think, come on, it's the White Album".

He says that in the episode of Anthology that covers this particular period. I can't remember if he's on his boat or not when he says it, but he says it anyway.

wosl

the science eel

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on November 16, 2018, 12:39:25 AM
He says that in the episode of Anthology that covers this particular period. I can't remember if he's on his boat or not when he says it, but he says it anyway.

He's by a campfire

wosl

I'd (mis)remembered it the same way - pictured him poking a campfire with a stick, sporting a nice bit of chunky Aran knitwear, but no!

the science eel

Quote from: wosl on November 16, 2018, 12:53:38 AM
I'd (mis)remembered it the same way - pictured him poking a campfire with a stick, sporting a nice bit of chunky Aran knitwear, but no!

I think that might have been the bit where he talks about the Beatles being 'just a great little band'

or all that blather about all the songs having a positive message

Nowhere Man

Quote from: Soup on November 15, 2018, 11:31:29 PM

The one i'm most familar with is when Macca says:

"It's great, it sold, it's the bloody Beatles' 'White Album, shut up!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9xDBTpLz-8

Edit: wosl got there first whoops

Nowhere Man

I came to the weird conclusion recently that John probably had a fair chunk of the best overall songs (i.e In My Life, A Day In The Life (the main part), I Am The Walrus, Dear Prudence, Norwegian Wood, Help! ect)

But looking at McCartney's most famous/acclaimed compositions i'm struck by how versatile a songwriter he was. If Lennon was inexplicably not part of the group I would still most likely rate them as my favourite (or at least top two) favourite bands.

Besides being a fantastic multi-instrumentalist and writing the bulk of the Beatles biggest hits, Paul also came up with the concepts for Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, Let It Be and Abbey Road and without him pushing the band and giving them a sense of focus they would have broken up after Brian Epstein's death. This is a large part of why Lennon was so bitter after the breakup, because he felt that McCartney had usurped his role as leader. But truth be told Lennon needed someone like that around to give him a kick up the arse when it came down to writing new material.

Plus Macca was largely responsible for the likes of:

Hey Jude
Let It Be
Yesterday
Eleanor Rigby
Penny Lane
The Long and Winding Road
Here, There and Everywhere
For No One
Blackbird
She's Leaving Home
Paperback Writer
I Saw Her Standing There
Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End
We Can Work It Out
Get Back
Lovely Rita
When I'm Sixty Four
Helter Skelter
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
With A Little Help From My Friends (main composer)
And I Love Her
Lady Madonna
I've Just Seen A Face
The Fool On The Hill
You Never Give Me Your Money
Eight Days A Week (main composer)
Oh! Darling
Good Day Sunshine
I've Got A Feeling
Your Mother Should Know
Michelle
Things We Said Today
Good Day Sunshine
All My Loving
Yellow Submarine
Love Me Do (main composer)
Magical Mystery Tour
Two Of Us
Hello, Goodbye
Back In The USSR
Can't Buy Me Love
Getting Better
She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
I'm Looking Through You

and that's not including Band On The Run and RAM!
Honestly i'm surprised the 'Paul is Dead' myth remains so popular, as even a cursory glance shows that a lot of his best songs came from 1967 and after.

DrGreggles

QuoteBut looking at McCartney's most famous/acclaimed compositions i'm struck by how versatile a songwriter he was.

He's incredibly versatile, but that doesn't mean that he's as capable at writing other genres.
Looking at the list of songs the thing that leaps out at you is the number of ballads that are considered his masterpieces.
Some of the other stuff he's done to 'show off' (the correct phrase, I think) his versatility have been dreadful IMHO.

QuoteHonestly I'm surprised the 'Paul is Dead' myth remains so popular, as even a cursory glance shows that a lot of his best songs came from 1967 and after.

Or was the 'new' Paul just an even better songwriter???
#TeamDodds

gilbertharding

The real question is where is Beatles band? This band who have not been as of late clear of circumstance. Beatles Band! Can we no longer hear there medolious throng? John! Paul! All in Beatles Band come forth! What question have we to put? Now? Arguments neccessary can begin with whole results expected for any return. Ringo! Here in Thailand Beatles band experience is long loved and can be hurt away from John, Paul etc. Please give any news to Samuel K. Amphong of address similar to above. yours as in rock!

Soup

Quote from: wosl on November 16, 2018, 12:45:34 AM
Here you go, Soup.

Quote from: Nowhere Man on November 16, 2018, 06:31:01 AM
The one i'm most familar with is when Macca says:

"It's great, it sold, it's the bloody Beatles' 'White Album, shut up!"

Cheers lads. It's actually a better line than I remember. 

grassbath

Quote from: New Jack on November 15, 2018, 11:06:56 PM

More importantly:

John and Paul

Lennon/McCartney

Did they shag?

You Never Give Me Your Money is a great book about their inner squabbles post break up - although I had never heard that about Harrison stealing the Moog demo. What a cunt.

They all were of course, Paul specifically in '68 and a moment in the eighties where he a had a go at striking teachers, Lennon from '67 till the day he died. Ringo knocked his wife around a bit and George tried/succeeded to fuck anything that moved. Yet their personal flaws somehow enhance the music and myth.

kalowski

Well all I know is that I'm enjoying this album more and more. Perhaps it is my favourite Beatles album.

I've just introduced my son to Helter Skelter, and a glorious moment it was.

kalowski

Another PS. The way Paul yells, "I'd give you everything I've got for a little peace of mind" to accompany John is a delight.

wosl

The 'Unnumbered Rehearsal' version of Let it Be is a belter.  The familiar version has always been a track I've been able to take or leave, but the one included on this set is terrific, with a distinctly different feel - a lovely loping, trippy groove going on.  Got a whiff of Flying about it, or Thunderclap Newman's Something In The Air.  Wish they'd chosen to develop it more along these lines, as for one thing it would've turned out as less of a presentiment of solo Paul and the end of the Beatles. 

New Jack

Quote from: grassbath on November 16, 2018, 08:39:14 PM
More importantly:

John and Paul

Lennon/McCartney

Did they shag?

"What it was, was over at John's house, and it was just a group of us," he explained. "And instead of just getting roaring drunk and partying – I don't even know if we were staying over or anything – we were all just in these chairs, and the lights were out, and somebody started masturbating, so we all did."

grassbath

Not to mention their decidedly experimental-sounding hitchhiking trip to Paris in 1960 and accompanying suggestive photographs.

(And lots of other evidence that I shall refrain from listing here to avoid coming over all Tumblr).

biggytitbo

No shagging, just a couple of mutual handjobs.

biggytitbo

The most interesting thing in this interview is the idea that a whole lot of beatles myths came from someone just saying something once and someone else blowing it out of all proportion https://variety.com/2018/music/news/giles-martin-white-album-beatles-1203030500/

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 17, 2018, 11:19:33 PM
The most interesting thing in this interview is the idea that a whole lot of beatles myths came from someone just saying something once and someone else blowing it out of all proportion https://variety.com/2018/music/news/giles-martin-white-album-beatles-1203030500/

Mmn.  Maybe.  It might - or might not - be significant that at the end of the article, when asked about what's next, he says he has to do other things because otherwise he'd turn into a Beatle and start arguing with himself.

Obviously I wasn't there, but the session logs show that, much of the time and contrary to Martin jr's assertation to the contrary, they weren't a band playing in a room most of the time.  They were running several studios simultaneously.  Ringo was on most of it but Lennon wasn't, allowing for the fact that he wrote the majority of the songs on it.

Ringo walked out, Yoko was brought in, George was - as usual - irritable, Paul was keen to take over and John wasn't so smacked up as to let him get on with it.

Yeah, maybe they weren't at each others' throats all the time but the cracks were certainly appearing.

Having said that, plenty of the sessions CDs have a really pleasant feel to them and I can see them bearing repeat listens on those grounds as much as anal retentive purposes. 

I love The White Album and I'm really enjoying the new mixes, I must say.

biggytitbo

Everyone probably already knows this but a bit of trivia that fair blows my mind, the Beatles recorded a song in the 1970s that was commercially released.

SteveDave

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 22, 2018, 04:42:08 PM
Everyone probably already knows this but a bit of trivia that fair blows my mind, the Beatles recorded a song in the 1970s that was commercially released.

"I Me Mine"?

daf

biggytitbo

Quote from: SteveDave on November 22, 2018, 04:45:40 PM
"I Me Mine"?

Yes! I knew Harrison had come back very late on to do some bits, but had no idea all of them (minus John) recorded the full song together in January 1970. Presumably they were all already working on their solo albums by then so it must have been a bit weird.