Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:02:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New stained glass window in Westminster Abbey

Started by gib, September 27, 2018, 12:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gib

...commemorating the Queen's reign by David Hockney.

Discuss.

Lemming

Like one of those abominably, inexcusably shit paintings you'd do at nursery, and the teacher would hang it up right in the centre of the board to try and make you feel better.

shiftwork2

I liked him in the background of that club in Toast Of London but to be honest the Tom Baker was much funnier.

Looking for legacy and longevity I suppose at this stage, still a right load of turkey innards.

Dex Sawash

marquis_de_sad

Can't stand any of Hockney's ipad ploopy paintings, but this might actually be even worse.

Zetetic

Yeah, sure, fine, why not. Might as well make all windows in London like this, that's the sort of thing they enjoy probably.

marquis_de_sad

I like how they made look like it was coloured in with felt-tip pen.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: gib on September 27, 2018, 12:27:41 AM
...commemorating the Queen's reign by David Hockney.

Discuss.

It looks like it was drawn by a 7-year old child, the winner of the Blue Peter Design A Stained Glass Window Competition.

It looks like an erupting volcano in the background, with a chicken in the foreground (or is it a lizard?)

hummingofevil

What did it replace? Can they just chuck shit out if they bored of it?

im barry bethel

I think it's fantastic, just think about the reaction of the Daily Mail readers then reconsider your appraisals

Paul Calf

Quote from: Lemming on September 27, 2018, 12:28:48 AM
Like one of those abominably, inexcusably shit paintings you'd do at nursery, and the teacher would hang it up right in the centre of the board to try and make you feel better.

I couldn't have done that at nursery. I couldn't do that now.

studpuppet

Modern stained glass done well (and worth a day trip from London if you have the opportunity):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Bho2rRkMM

***warning: dulcimer alert***

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: studpuppet on September 27, 2018, 07:39:47 AM
Modern stained glass done well (and worth a day trip from London if you have the opportunity):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Bho2rRkMM

***warning: dulcimer alert***

European, appalacian or sledgehammer?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Funny how none of the modern art movements produce work that looks like it has received careful crafting and meticulous preparation.

I don't actually mind Hockney's work as such, some is alright, he is prolific. However something about that being fitted right fucking next to such unimaginablely enduring splendour, care and time simply doesn't work. It reminds one, as has been suggested, of a patronised child's painting stuck in a hard to do anything with town hall corridor.

He will have enough arse kissers and contrarians on his side though

Paul Calf

It's the colours, isn't it? Blacks and greys and washed-out blues. None of the magical, transforming vibrance of mediaeval glass.

Pijlstaart

Wall mural at the dying children's wing of a hospital. Hope the Queen hates it, imagine the sun shining through it onto her body as she lies in state, dappling her in Ethelbert-The-Tiger-esque primary-colour whimsy. Vindictive stuff, I'm rather taken with it.

king_tubby

I like Hockney a lot, but this is fucking awful. Actually, a lot of his recent iPad stuff is awful too.

ajsmith2

I think these days David Hockney is either senile or has decided to become a professional troll. I mean it's not like he couldn't do decent paintings back in the day, he wasn't always some kind of naive piss artist. Remember his Sun logo from 18 months back? I'd like to think he made it intentionally crap as a subversive act.

https://www.classiclinesdesign.com/david-hockney-masthead-sun-newspaper/

Blumf

Quote from: gib on September 27, 2018, 12:27:41 AM

Giraffes, falling from the sky, their bodies bursting on impact, their blood and guts draining into a river of blood.... wait a fucking minute!! This is a hard-right dog whistle!!!

Cuellar

Sebastian Cobb

Was the woman who botched that fresco not available?

Buelligan

I really love the dog one and I suspect Madge would've preferred that too.  And with that in mind, I'm glad they went for the river of blood in the end.

SteveDave

Quote from: im barry bethel on September 27, 2018, 06:31:33 AM
I think it's fantastic, just think about the reaction of the Daily Mail readers then reconsider your appraisals

You can smell the boiled piss at the affront to HM

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Absolute shit. Seen better stuff on Deviant Art. David Hockney has been trading on her name for decades now. Hasn't done anything memorable since at least the early 70s.

Pdine

I like it, but I can see that traditionalists in relation to stained glass, the Queen or Westminster Abbey may find it difficult. I do find it a bit depressing to see the same old arguments about art and skill trotted out, both here and on the DM  comments page. What do they have to do with each other?

canadagoose

Quote from: Buelligan on September 27, 2018, 10:21:28 AM
Mmmmm, boiled piss...

Whatever anyone's views on the stained glass are, you have to admit that's a very good dog.

amnesiac

they're all stained when I've finished with them

Buelligan

Quote from: canadagoose on September 27, 2018, 10:22:46 AM

Whatever anyone's views on the stained glass are, you have to admit that's a very good dog.

Yes, it's superb.  It interests me because, if you think about what many people think of as being a skilled depiction of a dog, you're more likely to end up with something like this

A perfectly technically acceptable rendering of doggishness but it says so much less about the dogs pictured or what a dog is than the Hockney.  It's almost as if European artists are beginning to catch up with the Japanese at last.