Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:55:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Time For A Killing Eve Thread, Innit ?

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, September 27, 2018, 02:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Well, it is. Top Liverpool lass Jodie Comer does a convincing Russian accent, and gives a creditable performance as the mercurial, maladjusted murdering minx Villanelle and really, really looks like this top Russian bird who I massively fancy, while the rest of the cast do a top job of giving voice to barely credible lines and acting in barely credible scenes with great gusto. Sandra Oh ' s character is quite annoying, I'll give you that.
Just binge watched the whole series,  birrova lull in the middle, but when things get moved over to Moscow, it's jolly enjoyable . Rather this wilfully frivolous , not even remotely believable and knowing full well this to be the case, romp than the po- faced nonsense of blummin' " Bodyguard ".

Y'all agree, right ?

Ja'moke

I also just binged-watched this series. Really enjoyed it. I thought Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer both gave great performances. Comer's role is the more entertaining, but that's because she gets to do all the fun stuff. I love how she didn't care about playing the character as "cool", even though it is a cool character, she wasn't afraid to look goofy with her mannerisms and facial expressions.

And, as said above by Lisa, the series doesn't take itself seriously, which far too many of these BBC/ITV dramas do, and that makes it all the more enjoyable.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yeah, yer woman Comer gives good goofy facial expressions. Top actress.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yep, great fun. A pulpy gust of wry, knowing black comedy that never feels pleased with itself. Comer delivers such a great, weird comic performance - she makes homicidal psychopathy look like a blast.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yeah, it's all very much a British versh of PCQT ( Pre- Crap Quentin Tarantino ).

sevendaughters

absolute horseshit based on one episode.  sexy luxury assassins who quip, Sandra Oh playing MI5 agent infected with Miranda-itis, Sunday at 9 on ITV, ooh it'll be great! (it won't). all the little tics fell flat, i just hated the fuck out of this content lite.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 27, 2018, 04:22:43 PM
absolute horseshit based on one episode.  sexy luxury assassins who quip, Sandra Oh playing MI5 agent infected with Miranda-itis, Sunday at 9 on ITV, ooh it'll be great! (it won't). all the little tics fell flat, i just hated the fuck out of this content lite.

I initially had some misgivings ( and Sandra Oh ' s character annoyed me throughout ). Give it another couple of episodes, see what you think.

Top writer of this show ( mostly ) Fleabag Poshbird seems to have this thing about mammary glands, too. Don't let that put you off.

There's something pleasingly offhand and " Don't give a fuck, mate, You're enjoying this shit, aren't you?   " knowingly pseudo-shoddy about the dialogue writing ( and, indeed, writing of entire scenes ) which I actually find quite likable. There's a particular scene involving a panicked Owen Boyd, which I Don't think has been broadcast terrestially yet, which shows some great chutzpah, but not going to mention it now.

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 27, 2018, 04:22:43 PM

It's on BBC One  at 9.25pm on a Saturday night.

The sexy assassin is an amusing parody of that archetype. Sandra Oh is nothing like Miranda.

Fair enough if you didn't like it, but you seem to be judging it based on something it isn't trying to be.

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 27, 2018, 04:35:18 PM
I initially had some misgivings ( and Sandra Oh ' s character annoyed me throughout ). Give it another couple of episodes, see what you think.

Top writer of this show ( mostly ) Fleabag Poshbird seems to have this thing about mammary glands, too. Don't let that put you off.

There's something pleasingly offhand and " Don't give a fuck, mate, You're enjoying this shit, aren't you?   " knowingly pseudo-shoddy about the dialogue writing ( and, indeed, writing of entire scenes ) which I actually find quite likable. There's a particular scene involving a panicked Owen Boyd, which I Don't think has been broadcast terrestially yet, which shows some great chutzpah, but not going to mention it now.

That's what I like about it, that glib, offhand desecration of Jack Bauer-style action. It runs the risk of being smug and annoying, but the tone is weirdly endearing and enjoyably daft.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 27, 2018, 04:40:20 PM
It's on BBC One  at 9.25pm on a Saturday night.

The sexy assassin is an amusing parody of that archetype. Sandra Oh is nothing like Miranda.

Fair enough if you didn't like it, but you seem to be judging it based on something it isn't trying to be.

- i know when it's actually on, i was quoting the Trip
- yeah but Phoebe Waller-Bridge does that sort of posh comic banality/awkwardness like Miranda and a lot of the humour here was Fleabag transposed.

I'm judging it based on watching one shite episode. I might watch more, but I probably won't as I doubt it gets better. Christ I don't tell you off for liking something.

I wasn't telling you off. Enjoy what you want to enjoy.

Christ.

I've watched about half now in the hope it would pick up but I'm really not liking it. I just find it clumsy and it's trying far too hard to be cool. I loved Fleabag but I've pretty much cringed my way through this and the only time I've laughed was at a death scene. I'm aware I'm in the minority here.

Ja'moke

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on September 27, 2018, 05:10:24 PM
I just find it clumsy and it's trying far too hard to be cool.

I didn't think it wanted to be cool at all. It played up to the goofiness. The fact it wasn't trying to be cool is one of the reasons I liked it so much.

I thought it was trying really hard, mainly around Jodie Comer's character.

Neomod

First few eps were ok. I disliked everyone from episode 5 onwards.

It's a bit of a Martin McDonagh wannabe without the wit. A shame as it was a good cast but the writing was pants.

Some great music too but used in such an unsubtle way it became annoying.

neveragain

Thought it was terrific right up until the end, which I won't spoil but was very anti-climactic and... oh, just look away if you haven't seen it... leaves everything open in true cliffhanger-style and lacked the satisfying integrity of a proper conclusion (which could still have left things open but this was just "boom! Wait for series 2!')... sigh... anyway, it's Darren Boyd, isn't it, not Owen.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yes it is, cheers for that. Agree with you about the underwhelming anti-climactic " gotta write a series 2, Innit? " ending, too. Sarah O' s character staying insipid and unengaging right to the very end, there. Fair play to her for consistency.

studpuppet

Two things:

1. Mrs Studpuppet likes it and I'd rather watch this with her than some of the shite she wants to see.
2. They at least made a bit of effort with the soundtrack, which I appreciated and therefore cut it some considerable slack.

shh

I thought all the 'chic' pop songs on the soundtrack made it come across more like a car advert, or the production team letting us know what great taste in music they have.

I liked the opening scene, felt quite fleabaggy, the way it lures you into thinking a certain way about this woman, who then pulls the rug from under your feet. But then that character's 'unpredictability' becomes quite predictable. Maybe this changes after a few episodes.

jobotic

It looks hoity-toity and namby-pamby from the five minutes I've seen.

Quote from: jobotic on September 29, 2018, 12:40:10 AM
It looks hoity-toity and namby-pamby from the five minutes I've seen.

Which five minutes have you seen? It's a violent, cartoony black comedy, not a Merchant-Ivory film.

Cuellar

jobotic

kalowski

I just caught the last 5 minutes if the latest one. I've been in busy nightclubs, but never one where I've literally not been able to get past people.

Still fucking shit.

David Haig, a man presumably in his early sixties, would've died from dehydration in a sweaty club while dressed like Inspector Clouseau.

Such an unrealistic programme.

gib

The assassin lady has an incredibly beautiful face.

SteveDave

I watched the first one and something felt off to me and then I found out it was written by the indie Miranda and it all clicked into place.

Cuellar