Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:49:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Morrissey's back

Started by Marvin, February 22, 2004, 08:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cambrian Times

Now I love Morrisey - as a singer. He's produced some of the greatest songs of the last 20 years. But as a person, watching him on Jonathan Ross made me cringe, and want to slap him with a pound of raw veal.

danielreal2k

on sunday, but-technically-monday-morning, a repeat of 'the importance of being morrissey', at one forty five in the morning.  so sunday night, really.

I'm going to have to watch that again - is that the programme on ch4
with an interview in LA?  I swear he was driving a Jaguar XJ , now I'm no expert in Jags, but most of them haev Leather seats, and the clip I saw before, lookedf like leather seats,  ???   meat is murder my arse.

Rats

I thought the interview was great, he seemed a bit nervous during the singing but he always is to start with isn't he, and wouldn't get a chance to settle into it doing only two songs but it was still really good, everyday is like sunday was great.

monkhouse terror

Fucking jonathan ross, always insists on being such a nutface so a proper interview can't take place. Everday is like Sunday was canny mind.

mr rou-rou

oh crap, went out and lost the evening to boozy banter.

You know that 'Importance of being Morrissey' docu exists in .avi form should you miss it, I have it myself so I can sort you out with a watch, but you might as well watch it if it is on.

The new album sounds miles better in the car for some reason.

Rats

I can't wait for someone to try tonight so I'll do it tommorow, ian.

Ramses VIII

I really think Morrissey is the coolest thing going at the moment-especially now he looks like George Graham

Rev

Did y'all catch the hand-gesture he made at Ross after IBEH?  Translation:  'I'm not coming over to that sofa unless you shout MORRISSEY really enthusiastically'.  Peculiar.

Even with the egotistical git toning his usual schtick right down (I'm talking about the interviewer here, by the way), it was still a ropey interview, with Morrissey coming across as smug, faux-enigmatic, and so, so humourless.  

You know, I think I can happily throw him over my shoulder now.  Icons weigh you down, and this guy is now just some guy again.

mayer

i thought it was fucking fabulous... the songs sounded brilliant (EDILS had a nice new bitter intro and was loads cooler than the banjo-sounding version from the 2002 tour), and the crowd clearly were in love.

Moz came across as he has done in other interviews i've seen.... self-righteous, playing the martyr and occasionally hilariously funny ("but sprouts scream too")

and the editor did him a massive favour by cutting out the anti-Bowie sniping. that's the sort of thing that wouldn't help anybody.

I loved the interview, full of your typical Morrissey wit and scorn, although some of the things he stands for pisses me right off. His tiresome militant vegetarianism gets very annoying very quickly, especially since he seems to be such a sod to members of the human race. Woss weren't bad, and it seemed to me like Moz just viewed the whole scenario as something of a quaint absurdity.

I do wish he'd stop banging on about Bowie and the court case too, these are old hang-ups that he's been ranting on about for ages. The performances were OK..."Everyday Is Like Sunday" was pretty good, but "Irish Blood, English Heart" sounded very limp compared to the studio version.

mayer

the Bowie section that was (thankfully) cut out of the aired interview

Quote from: "someone over at morrissey-solo.com"JR: Let's talk about your fanbase now. I'm fascinated by this kind of Latino fan base you have over in California. That's just such a weird thing.

M: It's an interesting thing. It's really strong. And it's not just on the west coast it's other places as well.

JR: Well anywhere where there's a Spanish-speaking community?

M: Yeah, yeah. And people always ask me why and I don't know why. But they look fantastic! Absolutely fantastic. The wife-beaters and all the tattoos. It's all very gangy.

JR: Well, what a great following to have as well.

M: It's very glamorous.

JR: I mean your cool enough already but that makes you even more cool.

M: It's also something people strive to get that audience and they just came to me without me doing anything.

JR: Imagine if David Bowie had them as an audience.

M: I think he'd like ANY audience.

[Audience oooohs and laughs]

JR: Now, now I know you had a tiff.

M: Well. Nothing like that happened. Now I know you love-

JR: I love David.

M: But do you know him, though?

JR: No, of course not. And I don't want to either, really.

M: Well, they do call him David Showie. He's a business, you know. He's not really a person.

JR: You think so?

M: Trust me, Jonathan, I know.

JR: Now-

M: Why do you like him?

JR: I like him-

M: You like him because you liked him when you were 12.

JR: Yes. But I like his music now as well. Do you not like his new music?

M: Well my theory is that people fell in love with Ziggy Stardust and not really David Bowie. He doesn't realise that.

JR: I don't know. I liked the "Let's Dance" period as well. Did you like that?

M : No!

JR: You didn't like that?

M: No. Also, I think that when he was wonderful it was just the people around him in '71 & '72-

JR: No!-

M: -that gave him the hairstyle, that gave him the clothes, and gave him the-

JR: Morrissey. I think you're being unnecessarily bitchy about it now.

M: The entire audience agrees with me.

[Audience laughs]

JR: That's not true. They've gone quiet. They're scared of you. They think you're going to shut the door and say, "Thank God, they've gone."

[Audience laughs]

JR: Do you find it in any way easy or impossible to forgive and forget people?

M: Which people?

JR: Like David, for example.

M: Not really. Not really. I could tell you stories, Jonathan, and you'd never listen to "Let's Dance" again.

JR: Wasn't he in his drug phase then?  

M: So? [Some] People go through drug phases and they're really nice and flattering

Yeah, it's good that it was cut, but then Mozzer does have a point about Bowie. And it's pretty odd that he singles out his Spanish fanbase as "wife-beaters" considering Morrissey's well-known support for feminism.

mr rou-rou

could be crossed wires, Wife Beaters are vests as well as men who beat their wives, I think he means the former

Rats

They should have left that in. I wonder why they didn't because it's not the bit you would cut because of time is it?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"oh crap, went out and lost the evening to boozy banter.

You know that 'Importance of being Morrissey' docu exists in .avi form should you miss it, I have it myself so I can sort you out with a watch, but you might as well watch it if it is on.

Ooh, I wouldn't mind a copy of that. Is it in your soulseek folder?

Morrissey does seem to have a lot of hatred for a lot of people, but then I think he's been fucked over by a lot of dishonest people in his life, which may be why he finds himself 'siding with the animals', as they don't write sordid stories about his (non)sex life or try to sue him for millions.
A few of his memorable quotes:
On Johnny Rogan, author of the fantastic Morrissey and Marr:The Severed Alliance: "I hope he dies very soon in a nasty car accident"
On a butchers shop being blown up by the IRA: "A few dead butchers isn't a bad thing"
and
"I don't hate Indian people, but I dislike them immensely"

Doesn't mince his words does he?

Rats

Words scream when they're minced Jonathon. All of his mates are mince.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

"You Are the Quarry" arrived on my doorstep yesterday (thanks Play!) and since I have exams this week before I trot down to Manchester to see him I've been playing it all weekend. At first it doen't seem to grab you that much with a few of the songs washing over you but after a few listens it really does grow and pisses over 'Maladjusted' and 'Southpaw Grammar' and some of the tracks are just brilliant. A couple of duff tracks that still don't seem to fit in ("All the Lazy Dykes" for one) but overall it's bloody good.

Oh, but anyone thinking about buying the one with the dvd - all you get is the "Irish Blood.." video, the lyrics to the album (Which you get anyway) and a few photos making it not really worth it.

mayer

just a note that at # 3 "Irish Blood...." is the highest charting Moz single ever, including all the years with the Smiths.

good for him... i'm even going to watch TOTP for the first time in years next week.

album out on monday kids!

MonkeyDrummer

he also mentioned in the interview an auto-biography he's writing. That should be ineresting, and I'm suprised he's doing it.

Regular John

I'm not a big fan of his music but his eccentricity amuses me and makes me applaud him for carrying it out so damn well!

Speciality meat product

Quote from: "MonkeyDrummer"he also mentioned in the interview an auto-biography he's writing. That should be ineresting, and I'm suprised he's doing it.

For someone who likes to keep himself to himself, it does seem quite an odd thing to do.

I guess it will be something like:
Monday, no one came. Tuesday, no one came. Wednesday, received a fax. Thursday, doorbell rang, but  I didn't answer it. Friday, did magazine interview but threw him out after 5 minutes.

mayer

i don't think the autobiography will happen, and if it does it'll read like an erudite death list.

Quote from: "Mr Greedy"
I guess it will be something like:
Monday, no one came. Tuesday, no one came. Wednesday, received a fax. Thursday, doorbell rang, but  I didn't answer it. Friday, did magazine interview but threw him out after 5 minutes.

or to quote a lyric from YATQ's fantabulous "I Have Forgiven Jesus"

Monday - humiliation/ Tuesday - suffocation/ Wednesday - condescension / Thursday - is pathetic/
By Friday life has killed me/ By Friday life has killed me/ Oh pretty one/ Oh pretty one

Speciality meat product

Actually, on Jonathon Woss, didn't Morrissey joke that it would just be a list of people he hates.

Sounds similar to when Father Ted won the 'Golden Cleric' award, and his speach was just a list of people who had 'fecked him over, over the years'.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "Rev"Morrissey coming across as smug, faux-enigmatic, and so, so humourless.  

Abso-fucking-lutely. I used to love The Smiths but I watched that interview and just thought "What a tosser." He couldn't even raise a smile for Harry Hill's out of date but, nevertheless, surprisingly accurate impersonation of him.

Rats

He was, he had a tense smile all the way through, he looked very nervous. How can you not like someone like that? He's a total bitch! I bet you like weekender.

I just found it so refreshing to see somebody immune to Jonathan's remarks.  You know where he tries to shock the guest and audience for laughs, so he can get the "Can he say that" effect.  Like bringing up something really tragic to see if he can make the guest cry or look humiliated.  Morrissey gave as good as he got in that respect.

When the snooker bloke was on before Morrissey, I really expected Ross to say something like "So, I heard your Dad's in prison, hurrr..."  It's just the type of thing he'd say.

Just got new album. Damn damn good. Favourites include...well everything apart from "I'm Not Sorry", which is a really weak song. I love "All the Lazy Dykes"- why has this got such a slagging from the music press? "Come Back to Camden" too...incredible stuff. Still not sure if YATQ is better than Vauxhall and I though.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "mayer"just a note that at # 3 "Irish Blood...." is the highest charting Moz single ever, including all the years with the Smiths.

Yeah, I know, nme.com haven't seemed to pick up on that I don't think.

And just think, if it weren't for those two arguing r'n'b (or whatever the fuck it is) cunts he'd have been at number one.

mr rou-rou

mr rou-rou

article from ananova

the big shy fop, why wouldn't anyone want to be stared at by a gaggle of competition winners in a intimate setting?