Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:29:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

#BoycottTheGuardian

Started by Pseudopath, September 27, 2018, 10:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neville Chamberlain

I haven't read The Guardian for yonks. The Independent is the only newspaper I read and I reckon it's pretty good, although I'm sure someone'll come along and tell me off about that ;-)

greenman

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 28, 2018, 06:32:27 AM
How did the guardian mess it up so badly? There's such a dwindling audience for their status quo, reactionary liberalism, you'd think it would make business sense to move to the left on with most of their former readers.

I'm guessing you see the answer with the Scott trust(now a limited company since just after the 2008 meltdown, I'm guessing with stronger board control and less accountability?), the belief that once people with a certain viewpoint had control of the money pot they could carry on pushing it for a very long time regardless of losses.

Fambo Number Mive

The Guardian does have some important stories, and the occasional columnist worth reading (Francis Ryan, for example) but 90% is bland Blarite crap. And their lifestyle pages with incredibly  expensive clothes are a load of rubbish.

I still link to Guardian stories as my theory is if we help the few stories they publish that are important they will be more likely to publish these stories.

What happened with KA Mendoza and the Guardian? I can't see it on the Canary website. Is it related to the Claudia Jones Memorial Lecture?

The only publication I buy is Private Eye. I don't always agree with it but I think it is important to support it.

greencalx

I haven't bother with ad blockers - can someone reassure me that the amount they make from online advertising isn't enough to cover their costs so that by continuing to read it they are in fact losing money.

Lost Oliver

Isn't this just what Armando said as the Great Adult?

thraxx

I remember in the late 90s and mid 00s that the guardian was about the only paper you could rely on for balance. Getting the Observer on a Sunday was one of the highlights of my week. These days The Observer may as well not exist and the strange turn that the guardian has taken is bemusing and alarming. Every now and then they'll be a stirring of its old ways, like some medication is wearing off, but otherwise it's neutered. Their posture on Labour and Corbyn has been disgraceful.

Pingers

People who complain about income inequality and then feature a £60 skirt in the 'budget' section of a fashion item can get threshed.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on September 28, 2018, 07:48:19 AM
I haven't read The Guardian for yonks. The Independent is the only newspaper I read and I reckon it's pretty good, although I'm sure someone'll come along and tell me off about that ;-)

Yeah! Thanks for supporting the.   *Checks* Holocaust, you Nazi!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Pingers on September 28, 2018, 08:26:32 AM
People who complain about income inequality and then feature a £60 skirt in the 'budget' section of a fashion item can get threshed.

Its the only thing i look for in the rag nowadays. Righteous and fashion fabulous!

Icehaven

I still glance over the culture/lifestyle sections of the website at the weekend, and have noticed they seem hell-bent on pushing the notion that everyone (but particularly 'Millennials') is an awful, vain, selfie-obsessed airhead who chooses everything from their holidays to their food to their pets according to how it'll look on Instagram and blithely tramples over the world culturally appropriating everything in sight. Well everyone except you of course, dear Guardian reader, as some of the BTL stuff generated by it is the most misanthropic nonsense imaginable, mostly along the lines of ''God everyone is soooo shit these days, except me who doesn't use any social media or take any pictures or buy anything ever and only goes on holiday to my own back garden. Why can't everyone be just like me?''     

gilbertharding

They also seem to employ (although perhaps 'employ' isn't quite the right word... exploit may be better) a lot of impossibly young people whose entire output seems based on identity politics and the more-or-less complete condemnation of anyone who doesn't slavishly follow suit.

Clickbait, basically.

Wet Blanket

Maybe I'm not the most politically savvy of people but I'm not convinced attempting to force the closure of the UK's most mainstream left-leaning newspaper is entirely in progressives' best interests, whether or not Polly Toynbee is annoying and the fashion pages are ludicrous. 

Dr Trouser

I stopped reading the Guardian about 10 years ago after being a loyal reader.

The Guide still has a special place in my heart for it's music and TV reviews of that time, and the description of a Placebo video as 'looking like a fat girl with mumps in front of two welders dressed up out on a bet' is still one of the things that brings a smile to my face.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: icehaven on September 28, 2018, 09:22:36 AM
I still glance over the culture/lifestyle sections of the website at the weekend, and have noticed they seem hell-bent on pushing the notion that everyone (but particularly 'Millennials') is an awful, vain, selfie-obsessed airhead who chooses everything from their holidays to their food to their pets according to how it'll look on Instagram and blithely tramples over the world culturally appropriating everything in sight. Well everyone except you of course, dear Guardian reader, as some of the BTL stuff generated by it is the most misanthropic nonsense imaginable, mostly along the lines of ''God everyone is soooo shit these days, except me who doesn't use any social media or take any pictures or buy anything ever and only goes on holiday to my own back garden. Why can't everyone be just like me?''     

I thought Guardian readers were the exact opposite of misanthropic?

BlodwynPig

The Observer did feature Ozric Tentacles back in 1993. I'll give them that. But then again they did use the term "dog on a string"

Icehaven

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 28, 2018, 10:33:50 AM
I thought Guardian readers were the exact opposite of misanthropic?

You'd think so wouldn't you? But they really aren't, they hate everyone who does anything they wouldn't do. The vitriol I've seen spilled over anyone who goes to a popular holiday destination, takes a picture of themselves while they're there, spends more than £2.50 on getting married or eats in a restaurant* would make your toes curl.

*That's my particular favourite, under every restaurant review there's always loads of comments from people saying they can't afford to eat out more than once a decade anyway, others sniping about how they'd never pay those prices for that terrible looking food, and best of all, the party poopers disingenuously asking why people don't just stay home and cook from scratch with fresh ingredients sourced from local suppliers like they do. ''Who clicks on a restaurant review just to say that?'' you might ask, well a lot of people do. A lot of people.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Wet Blanket on September 28, 2018, 09:58:41 AM
Maybe I'm not the most politically savvy of people but I'm not convinced attempting to force the closure of the UK's most mainstream left-leaning newspaper is entirely in progressives' best interests, whether or not Polly Toynbee is annoying and the fashion pages are ludicrous.

A boycott isn't an attempt to close, it's an attempt to challenge and reform.

Personally I think the # gives The Guardian a relevance it doesn't deserve.

Uncle TechTip

Snowden... WikiLeaks... Windrush... Panama Papers...

thraxx

He's beaten cancer, he's beaten the Australians, but he's also beaten women. Astonishing that he's been given a column in the graun. I for one won't be reading it.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 28, 2018, 08:09:38 AM
The Guardian does have some important stories, and the occasional columnist worth reading (Francis Ryan, for example) but 90% is bland Blarite crap. And their lifestyle pages with incredibly  expensive clothes are a load of rubbish.

I still link to Guardian stories as my theory is if we help the few stories they publish that are important they will be more likely to publish these stories.

What happened with KA Mendoza and the Guardian? I can't see it on the Canary website. Is it related to the Claudia Jones Memorial Lecture?

The only publication I buy is Private Eye. I don't always agree with it but I think it is important to support it.

Skwarkbox reckon it is to do with the lecture...

https://skwawkbox.org/2018/09/27/guardian-journalists-react-with-outrage-to-canary-editor-invite-as-black-history-month-speaker/

Old-fashioned jealousy perhaps....... It would be interesting to see the list of Guardian journalists who complained.

I like Mendoza, but The Canary needs a lot of work (drop 'Off The Perch' / increase new stories by 500% / redesign) although The Guardian needs even more.

Chollis

biggytitbo

I quite disagree, they are one of the chief neocon warmongering propagandists in the entire press these days, the world would be a lot better without their relentless softening up campaigns for the next regime change war, even before we get to the domestic shit they do.

Neville Chamberlain

If you bastards manage to close down The Guardian, however will I know which is the best vintage boutique in Hampstead?!?!?

Fambo Number Mive

EDIT: Never mind.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: icehaven on September 28, 2018, 10:47:28 AM
You'd think so wouldn't you? But they really aren't, they hate everyone who does anything they wouldn't do. The vitriol I've seen spilled over anyone who goes to a popular holiday destination, takes a picture of themselves while they're there, spends more than £2.50 on getting married or eats in a restaurant* would make your toes curl.

*That's my particular favourite, under every restaurant review there's always loads of comments from people saying they can't afford to eat out more than once a decade anyway, others sniping about how they'd never pay those prices for that terrible looking food, and best of all, the party poopers disingenuously asking why people don't just stay home and cook from scratch with fresh ingredients sourced from local suppliers like they do. ''Who clicks on a restaurant review just to say that?'' you might ask, well a lot of people do. A lot of people.

I've never seen any of this? And all i ever do is read btl

marquis_de_sad

Every time I see the acronym 'BTL' I think for a moment that it's some new fascist political party.

king_tubby

I always think of a delicious sandwich.

Another one who gave up on the Guardian/Observer here, many years ago. The straw that broke the camel's back for the Observer was their recommendation of a £6k garden bench. I mean, piss off.

As for the Guardian, a newspaper that employs Stuart Heritage and Barney Ronay does not deserve my money.

Icehaven

This sums up everything wrong with the Guardian's non-news stuff;
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/aug/18/four-favourite-pizza-recipes

Four pizza recipes, only one with any meat on, one that you have to start preparing the day before, two requiring a pizza stone, none with less than 12 ingredients, and all look fairly horrible. The same sort of thing is replicated across the whole section, the kind of lifestyle they apparently want to promote seems to require a great amount of time, effort and shopping to achieve something mediocre to plain bad.

Icehaven

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 28, 2018, 01:00:54 PM
I've never seen any of this? And all i ever do is read btl

Really? You've never read any of Jay Rayner's reviews and found commenters ripping into the notion of spending so much on one meal, or even castigating him for including wine (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/mar/12/barbecoa-london-restaurant-review )or any of the recent articles about all those nasty tourists ruining Cornwall and Barcelona and the volumes of commenters smugly saying how they only go to places no one's heard of (https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/aug/16/wish-you-werent-here-how-the-tourist-boom-and-selfies-are-threatening-britains-beauty-spots), or articles about how some weddings cost a lot and the billions of commenters falling over themselves to say how they did it all for nothing by having their cat officiate and holding the reception in a Sainsburys cafe? (OK I exaggerate, but not much.) (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/sep/08/wedding-guests-destination-cost-debt). We must be reading different articles.

king_tubby

Rayner even wrote a blog piece about it.