Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:15:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brit thesps in the USA

Started by George White, September 28, 2018, 08:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I don't think I've seen Colm Meany do a shit role, or look young. He's like the Irish Harry Dean Stanton or something.

George White

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 07, 2018, 07:52:53 PM
Including as an ill-fated British airline pilot in Die Hard 2, I recall. Though presumably he was already playing jinxed everyman Chief O'Brien in Star Trek by that point?
Yes, he also played a Cockney copper in an episode of Tales from the Darkside. His copilot, James Lancaster, also Irish, played various Brit roles including in the Prestige, which was shot in LA, with lots of these sorts, including not-actually-Brit-but-was-IN-TNG-AND-THE NANNY-as-English Daniel Davis, plus Jim Piddock, Edward Hibbert (who's dual citizen, and pre-Frasier, was living in both areas, a mixture of BBC TV Shakespeare, Just William and the New York-shot Royal Romance of Charles and Diana), Oliver Muirhead, Christopher Neame, W. Morgan Sheppard (like Tony Jay, someone who did lots of Brit TV and film, then in middle age, gets an unexpected career boost in the US as a character actor in telefantasy),Roger Rees (like Jane Carr, Lila Kaye and Tony Jay, moved to US via the RSC Nicholas Nickleby).

Meaney has always looked the same. He's only 38 in the Commitments, playing a character who's probably at least about five years older.
Even in the godawful paddywhackered RTL-RTE-TV France coproduction Roses from Dublin, where he plays one of a rugby-obsessed Kerry blood whose sister Spring Kavanaugh (sic), a famous model has a one night stand with a French photographer, who ten years later is brutalised on a plane by the father and elder brother for leaving them with his child, he looks the same. 

The Culture Bunker

Always enjoyed Roger Rees when he turned up in Cheers and the West Wing. I think he appeared in My So-Called Life too, but I don't remember much about his character in that. Atypical inspirational substitute teacher who turned out to be a bit of an arsehole, I think.

Tony Jay I mainly remember as Lex Luthor's sidekick in the 1990s Superman TV show. Top voice on him.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: George White on December 07, 2018, 07:59:52 PM
Meaney has always looked the same. He's only 38 in the Commitments, playing a character who's probably at least about five years older.
Even in the godawful paddywhackered RTL-RTE-TV France coproduction Roses from Dublin, where he plays one of a rugby-obsessed Kerry blood whose sister Spring Kavanaugh (sic), a famous model has a one night stand with a French photographer, who ten years later is brutalised on a plane by the father and elder brother for leaving them with his child, he looks the same.

Yeah, I figured The Commitments was probably one of the earliest (non RTE - I assumed he'd probably been around on that for a while) stuff I'd have seen him in.

Glebe

The reverse of this is the likes of Joseph Cotton and Eli Wallach in Tales of the Unexpected. Mad.

George White

Quote from: Glebe on December 10, 2018, 06:36:58 AM
The reverse of this is the likes of Joseph Cotton and Eli Wallach in Tales of the Unexpected. Mad.
Yes, or Thriller bringing over the likes of Bradford Dillman and Patrick O'Neal.
Or weird one-offs like James Coco as Santa Claus being interviewed in a C4 special by Jon Pertwee, or all those big miniseries shot in Europe with US and UK actors mingling, things like Mussolini with George C. Scott, and the likes of Michael Aldridge, David Suchet, and Philip Madoc doing bad Italian-AMERICAN gangster accents, or the Bunker with Anthony Hopkins' Hitler being sided by the likes of Michael Sheard as Himmler, Martin Jarvis, Michael Kitchen, Pam St. Clement, Julian Fellowes, etc.

Another similar thing is British chracter actors getting Tonys for Broadway, the likes of Michael Gough and Philip Locke getting Tony award nominations.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: George White on December 10, 2018, 08:46:38 AM

Another similar thing is British chracter actors getting Tonys for Broadway, the likes of Michael Gough and Philip Locke getting Tony award nominations.

Talking of Tonys, this is a pairing on stage one never would imagine. Hyacinth Bouquet meets Captain Jeffrey.T. Spaulding half a century ago.

At the 6:00 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlQWDvVOtr8

Glebe

Quote from: George White on December 10, 2018, 08:46:38 AMYes, or Thriller bringing over the likes of Bradford Dillman and Patrick O'Neal.
Or weird one-offs like James Coco as Santa Claus being interviewed in a C4 special by Jon Pertwee, or all those big miniseries shot in Europe with US and UK actors mingling, things like Mussolini with George C. Scott, and the likes of Michael Aldridge, David Suchet, and Philip Madoc doing bad Italian-AMERICAN gangster accents, or the Bunker with Anthony Hopkins' Hitler being sided by the likes of Michael Sheard as Himmler, Martin Jarvis, Michael Kitchen, Pam St. Clement, Julian Fellowes, etc.

And how about Dirk Benedict in Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense?... long before CBB with Cleo Rocos and H from Steps!

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 10, 2018, 11:23:25 AMTalking of Tonys, this is a pairing on stage one never would imagine. Hyacinth Bouquet meets Captain Jeffrey.T. Spaulding half a century ago.

At the 6:00 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlQWDvVOtr8

Oh fuck yeah, saw that before. Strangeness!

Sebastian Cobb

Simon Pegg played a septic alongside David Schwimmer in some absolute bollocks.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 10, 2018, 07:05:21 PM
Simon Pegg played a septic alongside David Schwimmer in some absolute bollocks.
Band of Brothers?

Fair few of our mob playing brave Yankee troops in that, actually, including Dexter Fletcher, James McAvoy and Tom Hardy alongside the ginger fella who has been in a fair few US shows as a native.

a duncandisorderly

these two-

& hugh laurie- did the US audience even know he was a brit?