Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:25:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The “This’ll be shit, I reckon” thread

Started by mothman, September 29, 2018, 12:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

The thread for upcoming films that for some reason lead you to suspect they may fall well short of cinematic brilliance.

https://youtu.be/brjkpRBpFnc

Exhibit A: Ferrell & C. Reilly in Holmes & Watson. Absolute state of it. There's a "No shit, Sherlock" joke, for fuck's sake.

Sebastian Cobb

Can't get my head around C Reilly, does good stuff with people like PTA like Hard Eight and obscurer bits like The Lobster, then things like this that are absolute clown shoes.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Blumf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood_(2018_film)
QuoteCast

• Taron Egerton as Robin Hood, Scarlet's half-brother, Marian's love interest, John's best friend and the enemy of the Sheriff of Nottingham
  • Jamie Foxx as Little John, the leader of outlaws group Merry Men and Robin Hood's best friend.
  • Ben Mendelsohn as Sheriff of Nottingham, Robin Hood's enemy.
  • Eve Hewson as Maid Marian, Robin Hood's love interest and the wife of Scarlet.
  • Tim Minchin as Friar Tuck
  • Jamie Dornan as Will Scarlet, the half-brother of Robin Hood, a member of Merry Men and the husband of Marian.

Did ya pick up on that?? Relationship drama mate. Loads of it! But we're being subtle about it, like.

Still not convinced?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebFl8MJ_XC8

Why does that opening bit look like a modern day battle scene? Ooooooh, I get it! Mind. Blown.

up_the_hampipe

Kevin Hart and Tiffany Haddish have been relentlessly promoting their new film Night School. Looks like a big bag of mediocre. Why is it so hard to pair talented comedy writers with talented comedy actors?

greenman

Quote from: Blumf on September 29, 2018, 01:31:37 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood_(2018_film)
Did ya pick up on that?? Relationship drama mate. Loads of it! But we're being subtle about it, like.

Still not convinced?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebFl8MJ_XC8

Why does that opening bit look like a modern day battle scene? Ooooooh, I get it! Mind. Blown.

King Arthur: Legend of the Bloke was such a success they decided to do a sequel.

Shaky

Jesus, that looks really grim. Ben Mendelsohn also deserves better than playing GENERIC BADDIE in every single film ever, although he's making these choices. Liked him in Rogue One and he was OK in Ready Player One but that's enough now.

mothman

Egerton seems to have form in the TWBS,IR stakes, having been in Sing, and Eddie the Eagle (not sure if either turned out to BE shit, but at the time, from promotional materials alone...). And he's got an Elton John biopic upcoming. In the other hand, I'd quite like the Moomins TV show and Kingsman 3 to NOT be shit. And he was in Legend, which I gather instead fell short of expectations?

kalowski

Quote from: mothman on September 29, 2018, 12:13:44 AM
The thread for upcoming films that for some reason lead you to suspect they may fall well short of cinematic brilliance.

Exhibit A: Ferrell & C. Reilly in Holmes & Watson. Absolute state of it. There's a "No shit, Sherlock" joke, for fuck's sake.
Fuck me. I'm speechless. Who will go to see that?

mothman

Based on the performance of all the previous "humorous" Holmes adaptations I can think of, nobody. Who in their right mind could have thought this would be a good idea? Watching the trailer, something about it reminded me of Your Highness, which was unwatchable.

kalowski

Any film with "The Boys are Back in Town" on the trailer is destined for shitness.

thraxx

Standard Will Ferrell race for the bottom schlock is horrifically shit scandal.

mothman

Quote from: kalowski on September 29, 2018, 09:47:49 AM
Any film with "The Boys are Back in Town" on the trailer is destined for shitness.

Going to try to remember that one for when the trailers for The Boys tv show appear (which, one would hope, will be good). Will they be able to resist?

Cuellar

lipsink

Quote from: thraxx on September 29, 2018, 10:11:33 AM
Standard Will Ferrell race for the bottom schlock is horrifically shit scandal.

What's up with Will Ferrell? Ten years ago didn't he attempt moving into semi-serious roles like Jim Carrey and Steve Carrell did? I remember Stranger Than Fiction got decent reviews (never saw it) and he (sort of) did a bit less comedy for Melinda and Melinda.

After that he seemed to stop trying to stretch himself and just went back to his default toilet humour comedies (Step Bothers was great though) I keep waiting for him to do a Foxcatcher, Truman Show or even a One Hour Photo as I definitely reckon he'd have it in him.

Dex Sawash

Was hoping someone would say those trailers looked OK so I could relax and watch them w/o worrying that I would like them. They both look shit, what a relief.

Bad Ambassador

Holmes and Watson looks exactly like a parody trailer that would form the pre-titles of an HBO drama about a washed-up comedian.

Given that it was shot 18 months ago, I'm not optimistic.

greenman

Quote from: mothman on September 29, 2018, 09:46:24 AM
Based on the performance of all the previous "humorous" Holmes adaptations I can think of, nobody. Who in their right mind could have thought this would be a good idea? Watching the trailer, something about it reminded me of Your Highness, which was unwatchable.

Not even a debate over just how much of Natalie Portman's bottom needed to be covered to save this one.

Brundle-Fly

In 1978 I wrote a Sherlock Holmes sketch at school and I'm sure they've nicked some of my jokes. The moustache gag, the OTT deduction. The Rob Brydon cameo. I'm calling my literary agent.

mothman

You don't get legal aid, we'll all chip in to your Kickstarter.

BlodwynPig

Anything that's promoted with "From the producer of..."

Spiteface

They didn't even do that in Avengers: Infinity War and they fucking had Robert Downey Jr and Benedict Cumberbatch's characters on screen together and interacting.

Fucking Disney ruin everything.

Just watched that Holmes trailer completely stonefaced.  That mini-trailer before the main trailer was enough to put me off, but I carried on watching it anyway.  Has Farrell ever been really funny?  Elf was an okay kids film, I guess.  Blades of Fury wasn't bad either, though I remember watching it mainly because John Heder was in it (what the hell happened to him?)  John C. Reilly is way too good an actor to keep slumming it in films like this.  I hope they pay him well.

magval

Quote from: kalowski on September 29, 2018, 09:47:49 AM

One of the Toy Storys did but otherwise you are exactly right

thraxx

Quote from: lipsink on September 29, 2018, 12:02:19 PM
What's up with Will Ferrell? Ten years ago didn't he attempt moving into semi-serious roles like Jim Carrey and Steve Carrell did? I remember Stranger Than Fiction got decent reviews (never saw it) and he (sort of) did a bit less comedy for Melinda and Melinda.

After that he seemed to stop trying to stretch himself and just went back to his default toilet humour comedies (Step Bothers was great though) I keep waiting for him to do a Foxcatcher, Truman Show or even a One Hour Photo as I definitely reckon he'd have it in him.

Personally, I'm not a great fan of that cookie-cutter SNL-graduate humour, of which Ferrell is a third class peddler.

Yes, there have been cot deaths funnier than Will Ferrell.

Quote from: thraxx on September 29, 2018, 08:38:45 PM
Personally, I'm not a great fan of that cookie-cutter SNL-graduate humour, of which Ferrell is a third class peddler.

Yes, there have been cot deaths funnier than Will Ferrell.

I was trying to put my finger on why I don't find that sort of humour funny in my previous post... I think its because it feels like a conservative's idea of outragous comedy... bland and not particularly subversive.  Even most of the early SNL stuff I've watched hasn't done much for me... but then again, we are talking about American television.  I remember an American friend of mine talking about All in the Familly once and how one episode was considered particularly outragous at the time, because it involved the sound of a flushing toilet.

mothman

I like Blades of Glory. And Anchorman is OK, though I don't think it (or he, in it) are anywhere near as funny as many seem to think it is. Elf I tried to watch once, last Christmas since it was once more being bandied about as the greatest Christmas movie ever. I gave up halfway through. I don't think he's untalented (I could be wrong). But he's taking a hell of a long time to find whatever it is, whatever combination of comedic and dramatic performance, he's actually good at.

John C. Reilly on the other hand is a really interesting performer. He can do comedic and dramatic. For me the most interesting thing about the ipcoming Stan & Ollie is his participation in it. But this... mate. I don't even call people mate, I have this semi-RP accent it just sounds ludicrous in. But I still want to say it to him.

BritishHobo

I'm pretty sure the Holmes film has been in some form of development since at least the time Guy Ritchie's was, as I remember there being lots of news about how two Holmes films were being made - Ritchie's action-adventure, and a comedy version starring Ferrell and Sacha Baron Cohen.

It makes sense, because I could easily believe the script for this film is ten years old and, apart from John C Reilly subbing in for SBC, and possibly the selfie joke, hasn't changed at all.