Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:18:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The “This’ll be shit, I reckon” thread

Started by mothman, September 29, 2018, 12:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

There's a new Michael Myers film coming out with Jamie Lee Curtis in it. Jesus Christ.

God knows what they offered her to take that role, maybe she owns the moon now or something.

Brundle-Fly

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: magval on September 29, 2018, 08:29:54 PM
One of the Toy Storys did but otherwise you are exactly right

I'm pretty certain that it was the for the first one. Immediately leapt to mind as I have a vivid memory of seeing the trailer in the cinema for whatever reason, including the use of that song.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 30, 2018, 04:35:45 PM
RE: Ferrel and Reilly
This moment absolutely slays me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS90l4L2t6k

I love Step Brothers an enormous amount so I've a lot of time for Ferrel and Reilly, but yeah, this looks all a bit painful and it's a shame it wasn't scripted by the writers of the aforementioned film. Though surprisingly it's written by one of the King of the Hill writers, so he did used to be capable of being very funny.

mothman

Still, assuming they can hear to look each other in the face ever again, the need for a hit might make Step Brothers 2 more likely. If you'd ever want one, that is. Anchorman 2, Bad Santa 2 etc. may suggest some wells aren't worth returning to.

Ferris

Walk Hard: the Dewey Cox Story was alright. It didn't know if it wanted to be serious or not, but had loads of funny little throwaway gags. And Jack White as Elvis! Look-out!

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 30, 2018, 08:36:18 PM
QuoteIt didn't know if it wanted to be serious or not
That's why I liked that.  It felt like a legit parody of a particular genre of film (the music biopic), melodrama and all.  And the fact that it stared John C. Reily felt like a real novelty at the time.  It made a refreshing change of all the crappy spoofs we were getting back then (Date Movie, Epic Movie, Meet the Spartans et al), although I don't think the spoof genre really recoved from that period.

im barry bethel

No mention anywhere of the proposed Sopranos prequel?

Clive Langham

Quote from: Blumf on September 29, 2018, 01:31:37 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood_(2018_film)
Did ya pick up on that?? Relationship drama mate. Loads of it! But we're being subtle about it, like.

Still not convinced?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebFl8MJ_XC8

Why does that opening bit look like a modern day battle scene? Ooooooh, I get it! Mind. Blown.

Isn't Little John supposed to be, um, quite tall? Jamie Foxx is five foot nine.

mothman

Meanwhile, the Elgerton John biopic teaser trailer has, as ver yoof say, dropped. Can't really gauge its TWBS,IR potential from a teaser. All I've taken away from is that it is about a balding gentleman with poor dress sense who, in between performing on stage, parties with girls and has to endure the odd lewd look from another man. And there are fantasy musical sequences.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 30, 2018, 04:35:45 PM
RE: Ferrel and Reilly
This moment absolutely slays me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS90l4L2t6k

First time I saw this, the missus and I were in hysterics and had to rewind it about 7 times.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: bgmnts on September 30, 2018, 02:11:22 PM
There's a new Michael Myers film coming out with Jamie Lee Curtis in it. Jesus Christ.

God knows what they offered her to take that role, maybe she owns the moon now or something.

Because I'm a stone-cold eejit, I've just spent at least five precious minutes of my life searching for information on a new, and as it turns out, non-existent, Mike Myers comedy co-starring Jamie Lee Curtis.

Speaking of Mike Myers, did the dismal failure of The Love Guru really put an end to his A-list film career or did he make the decision to step away from the limelight himself?

In the ten years since that film came out, he's only appeared in a handful of supporting roles (well, he made another Shrek film, but I'm not counting that). He also made that documentary about Shep Gordon, which is apparently pretty good, and he currently hosts a revival of The Gong Show on ABC, but apart from that he hasn't done much of note.

I find it hard to believe that one shit film could derail a big star's career. If that was the case, Adam Sandler would've disappeared years ago.

bgmnts

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 01, 2018, 10:10:58 PM
Because I'm a stone-cold eejit, I've just spent at least five precious minutes of my life searching for information on a new, and as it turns out, non-existent, Mike Myers comedy co-starring Jamie Lee Curtis.

Speaking of Mike Myers, did the dismal failure of The Love Guru really put an end to his A-list film career or did he make the decision to step away from the limelight himself? .

He was in Inglorious Basterds (one of the oddest cameos I've seen in cinema in my time) but that's all I can think of.

I do wish there was a Mike Myers comedy featuring Jamie Lee Curtis and not a Halloween part 48.

mothman

Isn't Myers by all accounts a bit of an unpleasant twat? Or even a lot of one?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: mothman on October 01, 2018, 10:41:20 PM

Not by all accounts, no. I've read stories about him being a bit of a perfectionist - which can often manifest itself as twattishness - but I've never heard anything to suggest that he's an out and out cunt.

Then again, as always, we don't know the man or the people he's worked with. Even if Myers really is a horrible person, I would imagine that it would take more than one major flop to destroy his hitherto successful film career. After all, if we've learned one thing in the last couple of years, it's that Hollywood will happily support scummy human beings if there's a chance of making money from them.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: mothman on October 01, 2018, 10:41:20 PM

Yeah I've heard quite a lot of unpleasant stories about him, which is backed up this EW article: https://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/24630139.html?page=3

bgmnts

Can we collectively coin the term "By most accounts"? I really like this.

He doesn't sound any worse than most massively needy, insecure yet megalomaniacal comedians. I'm not making excuses for him, he must be a nightmare to work with at times, but I guess I'm just a bit blase about this sort of thing after years of reading about Tony Hancock, Peter Sellers and Jerry Lewis.

Without wishing to derail this thread any further, here's Marc Maron's rather interesting interview with Mike Myers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi2DC7VfRIk

Noodle Lizard

I know a performer who was on the short-lived Gong Show reboot who said Myers was perfectly friendly and nice, however he never stepped out of his host character, whose name I forget, and was never seen out of makeup on set.  So maybe that fictional character is decent whilst Myers himself is still an arsehole.

Mister Six

Bit weird that Myers is a perfectionist but still made Austin Powers 2, a film that basically has the exact same script as the first one, but with a couple of new characters.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 01, 2018, 10:10:58 PM

It could happen to anyone....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaonGUhXv_k

Captain Crunch

Had to sit through the advert for that bloody Queen film in the week, excruciating. 

Quote from: Captain Crunch on October 05, 2018, 09:27:23 PM
Had to sit through the advert for that bloody Queen film in the week, excruciating.

Now that will definitely be shit. Brian May and Roger Taylor producing a sanitised drama about their old mate feels utterly pointless. While I have no desire to watch two voyeuristic hours of Freddie shagging everything that moves while snorting coke off a dwarf's arse, surely you have to include that stuff in order to present a rounded portrait of the man?

Mister Six

Last I heard, it was an entire army of North Korean werewolves.

Oh, hang on, Rambo is apparently a cowboy now.

https://www.cnet.com/news/sylvester-stallone-reveals-john-rambo-is-a-cowboy-in-rambo-5/

I like how that article hedges its bets as to whether that's Stallone in the second image, as his hat is pulled down over his eyes. The rest of his face clearly being that of Sylvester Stallone seemingly doesn't provide enough evidence.

biggytitbo

QuoteJohn Rambo is a fictional Vietnam vet and former P.O.W.

Glad they cleared that up, I thought it was all real.