Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:04:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The “This’ll be shit, I reckon” thread

Started by mothman, September 29, 2018, 12:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: olliebean on October 29, 2020, 03:37:02 PM
Different rights. A compulsory license (the one which allows a cover to be released without explicit permission) only covers "mechanical" rights; to release an audio-visual presentation using a song requires a "synchronisation" license, which must be negotiated with the rights holder and can't be compulsorily obtained.

Ah right, that makes sense. Thanks!

Mister Six

Quote from: jobotic on October 28, 2020, 08:27:40 PM
You're not a space alien, you're from Bromley, man!

"There's a Bromley man waiting in the sky..."

Thomas

The lad in the miserable Mozzer biopic could at least do a great Morrissey voice. And, accounting for its absentee soundtrack, that film had the excuse of being set prior to the existence of any Smiths songs (though he turns in an excellent vocal performance when he does sing).

Icehaven

God, Mr. Haven is making me sit through the absolutely godawful 'Dare To Dream' based on The Secret. He's enjoying it but it's giving me diabetes. Goodbye cruel world.

Hand Solo

Robert De Niro, Tommy Lee Jones, Morgan Freeman, Zach Braff, Emile Hirsch

Star
In

Remeber Mel Brooks' The Producers? Well It's That Again But With The Added Thing Of Showing Them Making The Movie Within The Movie That's Been Popular The Last Few Years Like The Disaster Artist Or Once Upon A Time In Hollywood But Ripping Off The Plot From The Producers. Well, That.

The Comeback Trail

Gulftastic

I like how the first three names have 'Academy Award Winner' above them, but then it's just 'Zach Braff'.

frajer

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 19, 2020, 07:33:58 PM
I like how the first three names have 'Academy Award Winner' above them, but then it's just 'Zach Braff'.

'Ill-Advised Kickstarter Starter' Zach Braff

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: frajer on November 19, 2020, 07:43:50 PM
'Ill-Advised Kickstarter Starter' Zach Braff
Grammy Winner Zack Braff[nb]Seriously, he made a mix tape for the Garden State soundtrack and won a fucking Grammy for best soundtrack for it[/nb]

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 26, 2020, 10:31:47 PM
Grammy Winner Zack Braff[nb]Seriously, he made a mix tape for the Garden State soundtrack and won a fucking Grammy for best soundtrack for it[/nb]

Does anyone remember, in the month following Garden State, when people were saying Braff was "the voice of a generation." Seriously, it was a big marketing push.

It's why when he starred in the rubbish The Last Kiss, they let him choose the soundtrack and re-draft the script. They really thought that in a couple of years time, Braff was going to be the big American indie wunderkind, like an American Xavier Dolan. He very nearly remade the brilliant Dogme 95 film Open Hearts. All of this fizzled out by 2006 when The Last Kiss flopped and was shit, but can you imagine Zach fucking Braff butchering Open Hearts?

Icehaven

Thought James Corden couldn't possibly do anything worse than Cats? Actually you probably think if anyone could sink even lower it'd be him, and you'd be right as he's apparently made an absolute dog's dinner of playing a gay character now.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/dec/09/james-corden-the-prom-netflix-proves-straight-actors-playing-gay-should-think-twice

I think at this point if he had to play a chubby British character actor who inexplicably made it as a TV presenter in America he'd fuck it up somehow. I almost want to sit through a bit of this just to see if it's as hideously caricature-ish as the article suggests, but I think the combination of Corden and Nicole Kidman together on the screen for even a few seconds might make me drink bleach.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: icehaven on December 10, 2020, 12:04:48 PM

I think at this point if he had to play a chubby British character actor who inexplicably made it as a TV presenter in America he'd fuck it up somehow.

Is James Corden really considered a character actor?

Icehaven

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on December 10, 2020, 12:08:19 PM
Is James Corden really considered a character actor?

I just thought it was a cover-all term for 'not (handsome enough to be) a leading man'.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: icehaven on December 10, 2020, 12:48:23 PM
I just thought it was a cover-all term for 'not (handsome enough to be) a leading man'.

I think it often is, but I tend to think of it as being actors who are too weird and are given the weirder roles, but I think it's one of those terms that doesn't quite have a definitive meaning.

Icehaven

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on December 10, 2020, 12:54:25 PM
I think it often is, but I tend to think of it as being actors who are too weird and are given the weirder roles, but I think it's one of those terms that doesn't quite have a definitive meaning.

Yeah I just had a look at the Wikipedia definition and it does seem to imply it means actors with considerably more about them than Corden. It even says some character actors are so versatile audiences don't always recognise them in different roles, and there's no danger of that with him unfortunately.   

idunnosomename

I think that James Corden is the exact opposite of a character actor, in that he always plays an obnoxious fat cunt.

Cuellar

Quote from: icehaven on December 10, 2020, 12:04:48 PM
Thought James Corden couldn't possibly do anything worse than Cats? Actually you probably think if anyone could sink even lower it'd be him, and you'd be right as he's apparently made an absolute dog's dinner of playing a gay character now.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/dec/09/james-corden-the-prom-netflix-proves-straight-actors-playing-gay-should-think-twice

I think at this point if he had to play a chubby British character actor who inexplicably made it as a TV presenter in America he'd fuck it up somehow. I almost want to sit through a bit of this just to see if it's as hideously caricature-ish as the article suggests, but I think the combination of Corden and Nicole Kidman together on the screen for even a few seconds might make me drink bleach.

The film that the Guardian just gave 4 stars. Although it was Bradshaw - 'is Ryan Murphy's musical the first film of the Biden era?' Probably, and apt by the sounds of it i.e. shit

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/dec/01/the-prom-review-ryan-murphy-nicole-kidman

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Cuellar on December 10, 2020, 08:04:56 PM
The film that the Guardian just gave 4 stars. Although it was Bradshaw - 'is Ryan Murphy's musical the first film of the Biden era?' Probably, and apt by the sounds of it i.e. shit

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/dec/01/the-prom-review-ryan-murphy-nicole-kidman
Since with Pose, Murphy managed to turn the story of the AIDS pandemic, New York's varied gay subcultures, and the rise of Trump into a series of shitty soap opera plot points, despite having a brilliant cast, I dread to think how bad he would be with James Fucking Corden in the lead.

beanheadmcginty

Has anybody ever use the pun "Corden bleurgh" as a review for any of his films? It's just sitting there.

SteveDave

https://youtu.be/BprIf34eXUU

Fuck me. This ain't your grandma's Oliver Twist.

Everything about this feels like it's 20 years out of date.

St_Eddie

Quote from: SteveDave on January 25, 2021, 10:37:24 PM

Are generation Z so obsessed with their iPhones that studios are now pandering to them by presenting their trailers as though you're watching them on your mobile?

Hand Solo

Ferris

Loved the stunt of a van going through a little bit of plastic fence at low speeds (1m36s).

Wicked, man!

Bad Ambassador

"Hmm, this looks like a load of shit."
*Walliams enters*
"...am I awake?"

kalowski

Well done to CITV getting Michael Caine and Claudia Winkleman.

Bazooka

You get Michael Caine on board to give it some pizzazz and calibre, and he fucks it even further tonally and looks the worst thing in it.

Sonny_Jim

Of course Noel Clarke is in it, he would be.  It looks farkin' shit.  It's that Kingsman/Snatch aesthetic that seems to click with a certain sort of crowd, but a Urban graffiti free-running movie belongs in the early 2000's.

The Mollusk

OF COURSE IT'S JUST CALLED "TWIST" ISN'T IT

This would make a great movie night double feature along with "White Glove Massive".

Dex Sawash

SteveDave

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 26, 2021, 10:05:19 AM
OF COURSE IT'S JUST CALLED "TWIST" ISN'T IT

This would make a great movie night double feature along with "White Glove Massive".

Or "Speeding On The Needle Bliss"

olliebean

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 25, 2021, 11:01:04 PM
Are generation Z so obsessed with their iPhones that studios are now pandering to them by presenting their trailers as though you're watching them on your mobile?

More to the point, do they not think generation Z are capable of turning their iPhones sideways to watch a landscape format video?