Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:49:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The “This’ll be shit, I reckon” thread

Started by mothman, September 29, 2018, 12:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 06, 2018, 03:16:35 AM
I thought the new Peter Jackson effort looked shite. Waterworld meets Ghost in the Shell, but worse than both.

Hope I'm wrong. I really like the anime GitS.

Quite liked both of those even if the latter isn't as good as the anime, the issue with the Jackson film for me doesn't look like the setting but that its packed with young adult clichés.

mothman

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 06, 2018, 03:09:03 AM
Welcome to Marwen

https://youtu.be/rBiyoc4E3mM

The trailer references Forrest Gump. First you're thinking, OK, Steve Carrell comedy-drama; then you start to worry maybe he's gone the full retard in this one (you never, etc.) - and then the Action Men and Barbies come to life...

Head Gardener

Mortal Engines - and you know what?
it really is

mothman

I thought we were all so cynical and jaded and culturally snobbish that we all just assume they're shit and never attempt to empirically prove they're shit? Because, I tell you this now, I AM NOT going to go see Holmes & Watson to check.

Ferris

Quote from: mothman on December 10, 2018, 05:30:39 PM
I thought we were all so cynical and jaded and culturally snobbish that we all just assume they're shit and never attempt to empirically prove they're shit? Because, I tell you this now, I AM NOT going to go see Holmes & Watson to check.

I reckon that'll be alright. It knows it's a load of old shite but might have a few knob gags that raise a smile. That's fair enough.

Ferris

Chollis

Quote from: Head Gardener on December 10, 2018, 07:40:15 AM
Mortal Engines - and you know what?
it really is

Yeah, I feared the worst when I first saw the trailer. Such a shame, it's a lovely world.

garnish

Thought this thread got bumped because the Aquaman reviews are coming in over the Twitter.

St_Eddie

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: garnish on December 11, 2018, 08:42:12 PM
Thought this thread got bumped because the Aquaman reviews are coming in over the Twitter.
I just assumed it went without saying.

Head Gardener

Shaky

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 10, 2018, 11:34:05 PM
I reckon that'll be alright. It knows it's a load of old shite but might have a few knob gags that raise a smile. That's fair enough.

Yeah, Reilly & Ferrell twatting about refusing to stick to a script is bound to be good for a few laughs at the very least.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Head Gardener on December 12, 2018, 10:54:05 AM
calling it early, Water Fella - tonight

The AV Club gave it a b minus, said it has some issues but is pretty fun. I've seen way too many bland superhero movies to bother with it at the cinema though and will wait until it's on vhs video or betamax.

Goldentony

Parts of Aquaman were fantastic and reminded me of mad, pulpy bright 50's and 60's B level adventure films, and when it ran with that and just embraced the fact it was a film about fish guy it was a lot of fun as it's genuinely quite hard to take a film about Dolph Lundgren, Insidious and Willem DaFoe riding about on underwater seahorses dressed like samurai's and vikings at all seriously, but all that shit is presented as straight forward as possible and it's great for doing so. Perfect example, the fucking discussion where they're on about Insidious becoming the

"OCEAN MASTER"

Not the fucking king of the ocean, or LORD AQUATIUS or whatever, fucking OCEAN MASTER. People go about in this and say THE OCEAN MASTER with a straight face and it's amazing.

Problem is Aquaman, and the overall atmosphere. They tried so hard to make Aquaman a 'cool guy' that it went full circle and became the full inverse of what classic Aquaman is, so instead of someone looking like they're one of Paul Revere & The Raiders doing something outside the box he looks like the vocalist of a 2005 metal festival sub headliner and talks like an utter wanker. I get that this is a casualty of basically everything DC have done so far and part of that "EVERYONE HAS TO BE DEADPOOL OR STAR LORD GUY NOW" which is why it's bright, full of jokes and whatever else instead of Superman launching new borns into a fireplace and going "sorry love rules is rules". Some jokes, great, light heartedness, great, telling the fearsome guardian of the golden trident ''SCREW YOU!" - mental.

Probably as good as an Aquaman film had any right to be. Cut out all of the Beetle costume guy stuff and it's a good laugh.

Head Gardener

yeah I agree with all that, I was kinda overwhelmed by the cgi fights but it was OK, I liked the DC trying hard to add humour in a Marvel stylee "well shiiit" etc
it's not as mad as 2:0 though

St_Eddie

Aquaman is such a shit character that by comparison, he makes Bananaman look like Charles Bronson (the actor and Britain's most violent prisoner)!

Goldentony

I always thought Aquaman would work as a 60's Batman style comedy about a loser who happens to have daft powers and stumbles into saving the world. Making him a heavy metal fucking machine is stupid. He looks 14 years out of date. I tell you this - he has bootcut jeans, a wallet chain and a leather waistcoat. Utter tit!

The Culture Bunker

Robot Chicken made plenty of fun out of Aquaman's powers being a bit shit compared to Superman or the Flash. "I stopped that comet smashing into the planet - could you have done that by talking to fish? Eh? Eh?"

I didn't like this version of him too much in Justice League. That "boo-ya" towards the end was an absolute "fuckin' 'ell" moment for me.

Head Gardener

my 14 year old lad thinks Aquaman's shit, DC is shit and Marvel is OK - tsk, kids today eh?

Small Man Big Horse

In the UK both Aquaman and Spiderman: In To The Spider-Verse are officially released tomorrow (despite the latter previewing last weekend and Wednesday and Thursday) so it'll be interesting to see which is the most successful, I hope it'll be Spiderman as it's a genuinely fun film and I doubt the fact that it's animated will put people off given how much acclaim it's received. Unfortunately the same doesn't apply in the US where Aquaman's released next Friday but I'm still hoping it'll be considered a flop, I'm a DC fan comics wise but their movie output really needs a bit shake up, and for Geoff Johns to be fired.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Goldentony on December 13, 2018, 05:30:50 PM
I always thought Aquaman would work as a 60's Batman style comedy about a loser who happens to have daft powers and stumbles into saving the world.

As a leading man in the business of motion pictures of Hollywood, I shall fund this epic for the pricely sum of $4.99.  Now kiss my magical ring and be gone with you, good Sir.

I expect great things.

Quote from: Head Gardener on December 13, 2018, 06:21:54 PM
...kids today eh?

Yes.

Gulftastic

Men In Black International.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXjrIzaoWoo

Using a fucking appalling Fergie tune in the trailer does not bode well.

mothman

I'll allow this one, I think. Anything with Tessa Thompson in has to be given the benefit of the doubt.

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on December 21, 2018, 07:28:43 PM
Anything with Tessa Thompson in has to be given the benefit of the doubt.

That's what countless people said about The Predator, in regards to Shane Black and look at how that turned out.

mothman

Well, duh, Tessa Thompson is not Shane Black.

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on December 21, 2018, 09:55:55 PM
Well, duh, Tessa Thompson is not Shane Black.

That has yet to be proven in a court of law.

Dex Sawash

Trying hard to work up some misogyny for (wo)MIB but really uninspired.

surreal

May as well drop Hellboy (2019) in this thread then:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt5g5_1cKVk if only to tempt fate and have it actually turn out to be good...

St_Eddie

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 22, 2018, 08:04:58 PM
Trying hard to work up some misogyny for (wo)MIB but really uninspired.

I know you're just goofin' but I still need to point out there have been Women in Black since the first movie onwards through the sequels, the tie-in videogames and the TV series, so anyone genuinely narked about this new movie having a heroine doesn't know what they're talking about.

That said, MIB International does look like garbage; another run-of-the-mill Sony reboot of a once successful blockbuster IP, with familiar old iconography & tropes tossed into a flavourless stew of flashy CG, generic action & thin jokes.  It's every Sony trailer of the past decade & even has Chris Hemsworth just like Sony's attempt at reviving Ghostbusters.  Literally the one good thing about the trailer was that nice framed painting of J & K battling Bug Edgar.

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 23, 2018, 10:13:53 AM
Why?

Welcome back St Eddie!