Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,469
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:51:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Any Tips On UnFreezing A Frozen App?

Started by Dr Rock, September 29, 2018, 07:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

This old chestnut. I've looked around the internet but no luck, maybe one of you very intelligent people might know. Or possibly a stupid one. So I'm on a Mac (mini), running El Capitan v 10.11.6. I've been doing my books on a bookkeeping app called Manager, which is easy to use, and I have been using it for a couple of years (not constantly). You have to back up manually, no autosave here. So about an hour ago I tried to search for 'ebay' in the little search box and then it froze, spinning ball keeps on a spinning. Is there some fancy Activity Monitor or Terminal trick I could try? Or something else? After an hour it's unlikely to fix itself, right?  Or not right? I'll lose about three hours fucking boring bookkeeping work if it crashes/I force quit.

Cheers.

a duncandisorderly

sometimes, it says here, just opening the 'force quit' dialogue is enough to shake an app out of its stupor. have you looked in console to see what's wedging it up?

a duncandisorderly

also, it may be an unrelated thing that's doing the beachbally bit, not the app itself. I've one of the newer minis that periodically takes a dislike to the sony bravia which is its principal display device. pulling out the hdmi & re-inserting it seems to sort this; I think it's the telly trying to negotiate hdcp, which the mac doesn't support.

Sorry I was under the impression Macs just work.

Dr Rock

Dr Rock

On Activity Monitor there's the app itself that says 'not responding' - I expect killing that process will force quit the application? There are two other process called 'Manager' - if I killed those would it possibly help, or possibly blow up the neighbours house?

a duncandisorderly

probly a permissions thing, it usually is with mac OS. I suspect your work is lost, unfortunately.

have a read of this:

https://www.cnet.com/news/fix-permissions-errors-for-sandboxed-applications-in-os-x/

Zetetic

I suspect none of those errors are related to Manager not working. (And are entirely to do with trying to generate Quick Look previews in the background. Plausibly because of a rubbish Quick Look plugin?)

Zetetic

No, is the answer, I'd guess.

(It's not that easy to use if it doesn't autosave...)

Dr Rock

I wonder what the longest time an application froze with the spinning ball, only to magically restart again. In my experience if start again in the first 2 minutes it never will.

Dr Rock

Do you think it's wise to kill them marked with an arrow?

Cloud

Dr Rock

Seem to have hit te jackpot. Ball still spinning, but  I found a copy of Manager I'd duplicated and never used. Fired it up, maybe it would give it a kick up the backside or something. And there are all the books I've been balancing all day, without a by or a leave. All bang right up to minute of the freezing. So wh' happen?

My theory is despite having manual save where you file away up-to-date versions of your books - or maybe you keep two sets of books, eh? Crafty Knock Nigels... anyway I don't, and I didn't think it let you do that anyway.

This when I loaded up the copy, it didn't use my previous saved file to fill in all the details, I reckon there's something in some Manager hidden file where all up to date entries are kept... and that's what my fresh, Manager Copy accessed, and is good to go.

I am like a giddy goat at this development, there's few more mundane and repetitive things than doing 5 hours of bookeeping that you already did once.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 29, 2018, 10:12:11 PM
Seem to have hit te jackpot. Ball still spinning, but  I found a copy of Manager I'd duplicated and never used. Fired it up, maybe it would give it a kick up the backside or something. And there are all the books I've been balancing all day, without a by or a leave. All bang right up to minute of the freezing. So wh' happen?

My theory is despite having manual save where you file away up-to-date versions of your books - or maybe you keep two sets of books, eh? Crafty Knock Nigels... anyway I don't, and I didn't think it let you do that anyway.

This when I loaded up the copy, it didn't use my previous saved file to fill in all the details, I reckon there's something in some Manager hidden file where all up to date entries are kept... and that's what my fresh, Manager Copy accessed, and is good to go.

I am like a giddy goat at this development, there's few more mundane and repetitive things than doing 5 hours of bookeeping that you already did once.

magnificent
news. a genuinely useful discovery that, too. I will stash that away.

now tell us all how you're in future & henceforth going to apple-S every five minutes & run time-machine &/or carbon copy on your machine every day. :-)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 29, 2018, 10:12:11 PM

It probably writes everything you're doing to a temporary file somewhere and when you press save appends that file to your main file and deletes the temporary file. If you open it and it finds a temporary file it resumes.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 29, 2018, 10:59:40 PM
It probably writes everything you're doing to a temporary file somewhere and when you press save appends that file to your main file and deletes the temporary file. If you open it and it finds a temporary file it resumes.

yes, it's the re-opening of an already-open & unresponsive app that's the interesting bit here. the data was safe in a cache somewhere & the app soundly enough asleep that the OS allowed a new instance of it to spawn.... or was it an older version of the app?

Dr Rock

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 29, 2018, 10:36:10 PM
now tell us all how you're in future & henceforth going to apple-S every five minutes & run time-machine &/or carbon copy on your machine every day. :-)

Sometimes you just carried away and the hours fly by.The heady thrill of balancing the books is the worst.

PlanktonSideburns

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 29, 2018, 11:10:57 PM
Sometimes you just carried away and the hours fly by.The heady thrill of balancing the books is the worst.

been there, done that. with me, though, it tends to be art software (reaper, vegas, p/shop & so on) where I get so caught up in a creative act that I forget to save & something decides to twat things up for me. um... not suggesting your accounting is creative or otherwise... so was it a different version of the app?

Dr Rock

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 29, 2018, 11:14:47 PM
been there, done that. with me, though, it tends to be art software (reaper, vegas, p/shop & so on) where I get so caught up in a creative act that I forget to save & something decides to twat things up for me. um... not suggesting your accounting is creative or otherwise... so was it a different version of the app?

The same app, same version just copied it for some reason, probably an accident.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 29, 2018, 11:07:40 PM
yes, it's the re-opening of an already-open & unresponsive app that's the interesting bit here. the data was safe in a cache somewhere & the app soundly enough asleep that the OS allowed a new instance of it to spawn.... or was it an older version of the app?

I'm fairly new to macs but I think it depends on the application, some will allow you to spawn as many as you want (gvim), but getting vlc to open multiple windows* requires spawning a new one in the terminal.

*I needed to do this because worldwidefm has a show I like that crosses my dinner break on some Fridays, so I use it to capture the stream then time shift it by spawning another copy to play it back. Sometimes I forget to stop the capture and find a 70 hour mp3.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 30, 2018, 02:04:58 AM
Sometimes I forget to stop the capture and find a 70 hour mp3.

we've all been there.... :-)