Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:14:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The New Tomb Raider

Started by magval, September 30, 2018, 11:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

Have youse played it? I think not playing this samey-looking sequel to a (sequel to a) game I really, really liked is a turning point for me as a personal who casually games. The odd time. Not a 'gamer' but I do like games.

Normally I'm faithful to series I like. I'll give them a go even if it feels like a bit of a chore.

But I've no interest in this at all. Loved the first one (of the new three) but the second one was such a slog.

Anyone played it. I've been thinking about it there because Lara's all over the Lucozade bottles in every shop. I didn't realize that advertising partnership was still running.

Malcy

I gave up after Anniversary. Loved it. I played one of the downloadable ones. Temple of Osiris maybe. The new ones from what I've seen just don't interest me.

My brother has the first one. Might borrow it and give it a go but it just didn't seem very Tomb Raidery to me when it came out. For me the very first game has never been bettered. Well apart from when they remade it.

Bazooka

I played and completed both of the new ones, this one I haven't even watched a trailer but I imagine they have gone even harder on replacing platforming with boring skill trees.

biggytitbo

I'll play it eventually (took me about a year to play rise, which is very good) but I'd like to see a tomb raider game that is both a bit less 'gritty' and serious and is back to the globe trotting level variety of the originals. These new ones get samey because theyre all set in the same place.

Timothy

Finished it.

Story is boring and the game is quite buggy. Best thing about the game are the tombs. Sidemissions are almost all fetch quests. Jungle setting is overdone.

Game in general is quite short. 12-15 hours or so for both main, side and tombs.

If I were you I wait for a sale.

Thursday

Does she finally become the Tomb Raider though?

biggytitbo

A slight side note on tomb raider - been replaying the uncharted games in the ps4 collection the last few days. Always annoys me when people say the new tomb raider games are 'inspired' by these games when all 3 are more obviously total rip offs of the middle era tomb raider games made by crystal dynamics. I mean it's actually quite shameless how much uncharted directly rips off from those games.

The general gameplay style, the mix of climbing puzzles, combat and quick time events is lifted wholesale from legend, anniversary and underworld no doubt, but entire specific scenes and puzzles are totally stolen. Playing uncharted 2 the other day, and one of the set pieces puzzles where you have to align the 4 hands of a giant hindu idol is exactly the same as a scene from underworld, released a year earlier. That game also begins with a disaster movie style action set piece  replayed later in the game, in the exact same way uncharted 2 did a year later. Underworld also has a massive action set piece where you have to escape a sinking ship, in the exact same way uncharted 3 would do 3 years later. Underworld has an action set piece where you have to escape a burning mansion, in the exact same way uncharted 3 would do 3 years later. Legend has a high speed vehicle chase against a train in the snow, and uncharted 2 has a high speed sequence on a train in the snow and a high speed vehicle chase in the snow. The mix of solve a puzzle, climb some stuff, shoot some bad guys, have a vehicle chase, quick time events, disaster sequence is from Tomb raider legend, not the PS1 games which are really nothing like that.

Tomb raider 2013 is often accused of been influence by Uncharted but I think this is entirely false, it's the same developer as the 2006 game from which naughty dog stole all their ideas, so if anything they are stealing from themselves if anything.

Dex Sawash