Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:14:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Broadband

Started by Emma Raducanu, October 01, 2018, 10:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Raducanu

Currently with Plusnet paying £32 a month for broadband/line rental

I can see talktalk/sky/post office etc offering the same package for £17

Might be a straightforward answer but do I HAVE to leave plusnet (who I'm happy with) to bring my bills down?

Plusnet are offering new customers the same package as I have on a 12 month contract for £15 the WANKERS!

I've heard TalkTalk is slower at peak times and have had a few security breaches over the years. Sort of feel I'd rather avoid them?? Unless they're really great?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: DolphinFace on October 01, 2018, 10:59:30 AM
Currently with Plusnet paying £32 a month for broadband/line rental

I can see talktalk/sky/post office etc offering the same package for £17

Might be a straightforward answer but do I HAVE to leave plusnet (who I'm happy with) to bring my bills down?

Plusnet are offering new customers the same package as I have on a 12 month contract for £15 the WANKERS!

I've heard TalkTalk is slower at peak times and have had a few security breaches over the years. Sort of feel I'd rather avoid them?? Unless they're really great?

I understand Talktalk aren't very well liked but I've been with them for several years with no problems at all (touch wood). Apparently their customer services are pretty shocking but I've luckily managed to avoid this so far. They've been generous to me as well, they gave me a free upgrade to fibre broadband when my contract renewal was due and they recently upgraded my router to one of the fancy new expensive ones for nowt. I've never had any speed issues either. I believe they only had the one security breach, quite a big one but they handled the aftermath quite well I think.

Have you tried phoning Plusnet? If you threaten to leave they should hopefully put you through to their retentions department who might magically pull some special discounts out of their arse they couldn't, for some reason, offer before you were leaving.

Malcy

Talk Talk fucking awful. I went with Vodafone. £23 a month, no line rental. Been a big patchy recently but no big complaints really. PlusNet customer service are good so as said above just give them a ring.

I'm with them for mobile and it's really cheap. They change their offers every month so I'm sure if you threaten to leave they'll offer you something good to stay.

You can go through retentions to try to get a better deal, but I've found retentions deals aren't as good as they used to be. Luckily, switching is much easier than it used to be too. You don't even need to contact your existing provider, the new one does it all for you (as long as you have no outstanding debts and you're outside of your minimum contracted term).

I'm currently on a cycle where I go from PlusNet to BT and back again every 12-24 months depending on whatever deal they have going. They are both owned by BT so you can use the same SmartHub BT give you on both. You just change the login details on switchover day.

Also look out for any cashback on Quidco, Topcashback, etc. before you sign up with a new provider.

Small Man Big Horse

I was with Plusnet until recently and when I phoned them to ask to change to a better package they wouldn't do it for the price they offered new customers and instead wanted to charge me a lot more, so I told them I'd leave and they did nothing at all to try and retain my custom. So now I'm with NowTv, which is cheaper and a lot faster and though I've only had it a week it hasn't dropped the connection once and has been really great so far. So Plusnet can go fuck themselves quite frankly.

olliebean

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 01, 2018, 04:27:14 PM
I was with Plusnet until recently and when I phoned them to ask to change to a better package they wouldn't do it for the price they offered new customers and instead wanted to charge me a lot more, so I told them I'd leave and they did nothing at all to try and retain my custom. So now I'm with NowTv, which is cheaper and a lot faster and though I've only had it a week it hasn't dropped the connection once and has been really great so far. So Plusnet can go fuck themselves quite frankly.

Similar experience here. I ended up with Sky for £18 a month, but that came with a £50 prepaid Visa card and also an £80 Quidco cashback so with the £10 delivery fee for the modem it works out equivalent to 8 quid a month for the first year. Not fibre as there isn't any here apart from Virgin, nor any plans for it apparently, but anyway I get very good ADSL speeds so I'm happy with that. Of course after a year it'll go up and I'll have to shop around again. Pain in the arse but there doesn't seem to be any alternative these days.

Wilbur

The trick with Plusnet retentions is to do your homework and tell them the exact better deal you are planning to switch to. If you do that with a genuine offer in the market they usually get near to it even if they wont match it. You can't get away with blagging it with "I can get a better deal" with them anymore.

Emma Raducanu

Well I pretty much ended up doing that just to stay with Plusnet. Sacrificed some decent cashback because i'm too lazy to deal with switching but brought my monthly bill down by a tenner.