Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:29:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Started by The Boston Crab, October 03, 2018, 07:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Don't ask, don't ask...

It's actually a good game, though. The default way to play is the new 'exploration mode' or something like that, which basically means the anti-Ubisoft approach. Markers only appear after you've found them, that kind of thing. You can tweak the HUD of course to have everything from nothing to everything but it's interesting that the default is to not plaster the screen with markers and encourage you to leg it around and find stuff.

Probably a good job they got it out before RDR2 but at this point, it's probably the best looking open world game ever made. Amazing detail. I'm quite into the ancient Greece myth stuff so it's awesome to see that setting brought to life and to see mythological events referenced in a fairly subtle way on broken mosaics and stuff. Real labour of love.

The combat is another step up from Origins which was decent enough. There are loads more moves and stuff. Feels weightier too.

And amazingly, the characters and voice stuff and interactions are mildly interesting. No worse than Naughty Dog for me, albeit facial animation not quite at that level, but the dialogue is probably preferable to me over that snarky world weary sarcastic one liner barrage of shit. I like Naughty Dog worlds but the people who make the games must be absolute cunts to create those characters and think we should like them.

I'm playing as the woman in this (progressive) and she's smart and funny but not a constant smart ass. There's a lightness without being a dickhead and there's an undercurrent of darkness without being pure grimnitude.

I just wish I hadn't sold my One X to be honest now. I can't imagine what it'd look like on that versus the shit house Pro.

Timothy

QuoteI just wish I hadn't sold my One X to be honest now. I can't imagine what it'd look like on that versus the shit house Pro.     

Almost exactly the same

bgmnts

If you've played the previous 8 installments ofthe exact same game in different settings , is there much reason to play this?

Timothy

If you enjoyed them yes.

Otherwise its just Origins in Greece

biggytitbo

My main complaint with origins is its too long, even the main story requires you to do endless side quests because of the way the progression system works, but as enjoyable as it all is there's only so much of the same game you can take before boredom kicks in. I finished both Syndicate and Unity (which are in many ways more repetitive gameplay wise than origins) before I got bored of it, because they're a much more manageable length. I hear Odyssey is supposed to be 2 or 3 times bigger than origins even, which puts me off more than anything - they're just making these games too big, who wants to play the same thing for months on end?

If most AC games are a 2 or 3 out of ten and Origins is a 6, this is a 7.

rasta-spouse

I've got Assassins' Creed fatigue. Haven't played one since Syndicate. All that parkour would be fun in a tall, packed 21st century city like Tokyo.

bgmnts

What's the next time period they can cut n paste their next game into? Restoration period?

PlanktonSideburns

Blair era Britain.  Cameos from Noel Gallagher

rasta-spouse

I always thought 1960s America would be a good setting. The period between JFK's shooting and LBJ's inauguration. Think about it hamburgers, the mafia, it's all there.

Who is it who writes the stories for these games anyway, people who couldn't get into film?

Bhazor

I am tempted by it. It can't be denied that the Ubisoft open world engine is fantastic and this seems to have finally scrapped all the ancillary crap from the previous games having just learned their lesson now they've reached game 11.

But its on Uplay. So it can get to fuck.

Even if you can do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5GIxX1SXEI

Thursday

I was quite enjoying Origins until it went "Now do more copy and paste sidequests before you can progress the story *whisper* or pay for the level boost form the ubisoft store" and this seems like more of the same, but even bigger so nah.

Maybe I'll get when it's really cheap just to have a little explore as the first time just looking around one of these games is great.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Thursday on October 03, 2018, 02:25:19 PM
I was quite enjoying Origins until it went "Now do more copy and paste sidequests before you can progress the story *whisper* or pay for the level boost form the ubisoft store" and this seems like more of the same, but even bigger so nah.

Maybe I'll get when it's really cheap just to have a little explore as the first time just looking around one of these games is great.

Oohh now it makes sense! It really does stop you getting on with the main story by making you do side quests and knowing ubisoft that is probably is a deliberate thing to get you to pay more. It really is a shame because much of Origins is genuinely great and I'd like to finish it but it gets to be such a slog.

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on October 03, 2018, 02:25:19 PM

I love that your posting again, Thursday :)

Twed

I've hardly played any of them but this is the only one ever I'm sitting at work waiting to go home to play it.

Thursday

Amen.

This game is 'based', by the way. The most involved I've been in any game's story for a long time. It ain't even that amazing, it's just low key good which I much prefer. Some decent characters and I've just finished the first chapter (effectively) and was like wow.

Ham Bap

Said to myself that I wasnt going to get this, this year just due to not having the time plus other games out.
But this looks to be a definite buy now, looks fantastic.

Will probably get it just before Christmas and blast through it over Christmas.

madhair60

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 03, 2018, 11:29:06 AM
If most AC games are a 2 or 3 out of ten and Origins is a 6, this is a 7.

Oh? Dropped your shit review scale for cunts, yeah?

Kelvin

Jim Sterling absolutely tears into this game in his latest Jimpressions video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4R6BusYrg

Some particularly good observations (in the second half) about Ubisoft's cynical attitude towards the female lead, and the creepy sex pest side to the writing. He really is one of the only game journalists who absolutely nails criticism of microtransactions, too. Every defense of them is neatly demolished here.   

Kelvin

biggytitbo

It is annoying because Ubisoft often make games I want to play but then they ruin it by showing such contempt for their own consumers. Agree that the weird, crowbarred in sex stuff in the game is a bit creepy too.

Not seen any of that stuff yet except some lesbian kind of chat but that's historically pretty accurate. The Greek Island of Lesbos, anyone? Hello-oh? I quite like Jim Sterling actually but despite any criticism of this game, it's actually great no matter what anyone says.

A- / B+ / B

Is TBC a Corprate shill, secretly infiltrating the forum to raise awreness of shitty games? Would explain a lot.

(of course I'm pulling your leg here, I liked The Croston Bab more. )

I will drop in the occasional mainstream shit muncher game to show how open minded I am. It's shmups, fighting games, platformers and Dark Souls for me. The rest is dogshit, just trying to fit in a bit.

madhair60

Thursday

Yep, I mean he's right sometimes, but he's so reactionary. Uses the guises of being "pro-consumer" to tell children what they want to hear, and then sells them t-shirts with their favourite memes on. He's a youtuber, which is fine, but he's not actually funny, and it's not particularly great quality journalism.

biggytitbo

All he does is overstate his case, he's rarely actually wrong. In this case, ubisoft are fucking terrible for all the reasons he states, but they pretty much continue to get away with it.

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on October 05, 2018, 11:34:05 PM
Yep, I mean he's right sometimes, but he's so reactionary. Uses the guises of being "pro-consumer" to tell children what they want to hear, and then sells them t-shirts with their favourite memes on. He's a youtuber, which is fine, but he's not actually funny, and it's not particularly great quality journalism.

Totally disagree with that. He's hyperbolic, obviously, but that's his comic persona, and I think he still makes his core points really well. Plus, I don't agree that his "pro-consumerism" position is a guise, it always seems sincere to me. He sells T-shirts, but I don't think that undermines anything he does, really. He's not anti-marketing, or opposed to the selling of products. He just attacks dishonest or mendacious business practices. That's not a hypocritical or contradictory position.

He is egotistical, mind you, and does clearly like to play the "I told you so" card a lot, but then he did tell people so, and he's bloody great, so I'll let it slide. As for his comedy, I don't find his heavily scripted stuff very good, but he's very funny when just talking off the cuff, and has a wonderful turn of phrase in his Jimpression videos and other more natural videos.