Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:16:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Walking Dead S9

Started by Pinckle Wicker, October 03, 2018, 07:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Well who would have thunk it. Apparently Samantha Morton is going to be playing quite a familiar character in it, to those who read the comic, or still bother. I have to say both tv and comic are not to gripping anymore but I am quite interested by this.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/the-walking-dead/news/a862066/walking-dead-season-9-casts-whisperers-leader-alpha-samantha-morton-magna/

Malcy

First 5 mins was released the other day. There was also some details about the filming of Rick's last scene in an interview with Norman Reedus. Could take anything from it though. Bit vague.

I posted in the Fear thread about one if the characters from that definitely coming back in the WD universe which I thought was interesting. Didn't say Fear explicitly so I wonder if he could turn up in TWD.

Konki

Writing out Rick is surely going to be a disaster for the show as he's the core, the character we've followed from the start, and he's pretty difficult to be bothered about now as it is. I can't imagine many people being that invested in any of the other regulars, I'm certainly not. Hopefully there will be a bonfire of the regulars, something I wish for every year.

When does it restart?

Thomas

Wow, series ten million already.

Malcy

Quote from: Konki on October 03, 2018, 04:11:37 PM
Writing out Rick is surely going to be a disaster for the show as he's the core, the character we've followed from the start, and he's pretty difficult to be bothered about now as it is. I can't imagine many people being that invested in any of the other regulars, I'm certainly not. Hopefully there will be a bonfire of the regulars, something I wish for every year.

When does it restart?

Sunday. Rick's the only character left who's story I'm interested in so I can't see myself continuing on with this after he goes.

Spiteface

They're planning to make Daryl the new lead character after Rick goes, are they not?

Sod that. Let Negan out to slaughter everyone.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Malcy on October 03, 2018, 04:42:24 PM
Sunday. Rick's the only character left who's story I'm interested in so I can't see myself continuing on with this after he goes.

What's his story? Isn't it everyone else's story?

I don't think Rick's departure will leave as much of a hole in the show as many seem to think.

Malcy

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 03, 2018, 08:37:55 PM
What's his story? Isn't it everyone else's story?

I don't think Rick's departure will leave as much of a hole in the show as many seem to think.

As much as it's an ensemble now, it very much started out as his. I just don't really give much of a shit if the rest lived or died.

monolith

I stopped watching just before brains were splattered with a baseball bat because I'm a pussy but if I had carried on watching I definitely would have stopped once Rick has gone.

Konki

Quote from: Malcy on October 03, 2018, 09:16:54 PM
As much as it's an ensemble now, it very much started out as his. I just don't really give much of a shit if the rest lived or died.

I concur. In fact I'd actively like to see the rest die.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Spiteface on October 03, 2018, 08:29:51 PM
They're planning to make Daryl the new lead character after Rick goes, are they not?

If he's the new lead I wonder if he'll start having dialogue?

Malcy

Scott Wilson who played Hershel has died. This article says he's in S9. Another flashback character?

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/07/the-walking-dead-actor-dies-76-due-to-complications-with-leukemia-8012892/

Ant Farm Keyboard

The S9 premiere didn't suck.

It didn't feature a lot of characters mopping around and delivering tirades about the nature of evil and justice.

It had some action.

Maggie isn't pregnant anymore.

wooders1978

Is that a spoiler or did they just sweep that storyline under the rug - think the timeline of last season indicated that the pregnancy storyline wasn't a goer

Bazooka

It was so so, but Maggie's character is just not interesting in any sense.

Gulftastic

Why the fuck did they carry on walking on the cracking glass when they could easily have gone around it? Why the fuck are people who have survived for years still being as dumb as shit around walkers? Why was the dozen or so walkers a reason to shit bricks and panic about taking the cart with them? Why didn't they just wipe them out and go about their business? The show went to great lengths to show how skilled everyone was at putting them down with little fuss.

And next episode...Negan. hoo. ray.

Malcy

That was boring. Nothing going for it at all.

Puce Moment

That truly was a boring mess. I do like the idea of Maggie going full tyrant, but beyond that it was more speeches and discussions and exposition. I have to say that as bad as the writing can be, I don't ever remember being so truly disengaged and bored by this show before. Maybe I can make the break guys? But the Whisperers are coming, and Samantha Morton, and..........ARGH!!

Pdine

Just watched this and the first episode on Z Nation season 5. The latter was ~300 times better.

kngen

That started off well: the world-building, which made me think of Planet of the Apes and Day of the Dead, was good. But then it just got stupider and stupider. Gregory's death was long overdue; there's no way a character so obviously duplicitous would have lasted that long. But do they really think the kids are going to be traumatised by seeing him hanged? This is a world in which dead people WALK AROUND AND EAT YOU, FFS! You'd have thought they have toughened up by now.

MIght have to go back and watch the rest of FtWD now, but after three episodes of the last series, I couldn't escape the feeling that Scott Gimple had dragged it down to the level of TWD.

Oh yeah, we were also supposed to not only feel sympathetic to some random red shirt, but also his grieving parents, in a totally unearned story arc that would have given Derek whiplash. Really, really bad writing.

Kryton

So was that Maggie's baby? When did she give birth? Has some time passed or did i forget something?

Why do I care?

Malcy

Quote from: Kryton on October 09, 2018, 10:44:54 PM
So was that Maggie's baby? When did she give birth? Has some time passed or did i forget something?

Why do I care?

18 months. And yet in that 18 months no-one else seemed to die.

up_the_hampipe

That was so dull. I can't believe they thought that would be a satisfactory opener. I've watched every season and despite how bad it has been at points, I've never really thought about stopping. This week I almost gave up on the show entirely half way through the episode. If this is the pace that has been set and the story they want to tell, I'm finally hopping off.

Malcy

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 10, 2018, 12:30:05 AM
That was so dull. I can't believe they thought that would be a satisfactory opener. I've watched every season and despite how bad it has been at points, I've never really thought about stopping. This week I almost gave up on the show entirely half way through the episode. If this is the pace that has been set and the story they want to tell, I'm finally hopping off.

After they left the museum it went right downhill.

The worst part of the whole episode was when they were taking the stuff back from the museum. The wagon got stuck and a handful of walkers appeared. They decided to shit themselves and run away. Yet when whatshisface went back and got bit they all ran to his aide then easily took down the walker threat.

Why didn't they just do that in the first place? As soon as that happened I knew things were going to be written as ridiculous as they were before.

Hoping Rick leaves before episode 6 so I can finally get this to fuck.

Konki

Quote from: Malcy on October 10, 2018, 12:41:48 AM
After they left the museum it went right downhill.

The worst part of the whole episode was when they were taking the stuff back from the museum. The wagon got stuck and a handful of walkers appeared. They decided to shit themselves and run away. Yet when whatshisface went back and got bit they all ran to his aide then easily took down the walker threat.

Why didn't they just do that in the first place? As soon as that happened I knew things were going to be written as ridiculous as they were before.

Hoping Rick leaves before episode 6 so I can finally get this to fuck.

How the fuck did that walker manage to sneak up on whatshisface anyway? Utterly ridiculous.

Also if the writers had been bold they would have killed off Rick in the opening episode. BOOM! POWER VACUUM! Everybody knows he's off anyway and would have been expecting a long, drawn-out affair. They missed a trick to inject some excitement.

BOOM!

bgmnts

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on October 08, 2018, 05:29:50 PM
The S9 premiere didn't suck.

It didn't feature a lot of characters mopping around and delivering tirades about the nature of evil and justice.

It had some action.

Maggie isn't pregnant anymore.

I think if you're that worried about clean floors during the zombie apocalypse, you need to get your priorities straight.

Malcy

I reckon the horses should win. The people are tits and the dead people are just spiteful.

Malcy

A lot better this week. I couldn't make out what was happening in the second to last scene because it was dark and the sun was beaming into my living room. I have a good guess but if anyone watches it could they let me know.

Quote from: Malcy on October 15, 2018, 08:29:50 PM
A lot better this week. I couldn't make out what was happening in the second to last scene because it was dark and the sun was beaming into my living room. I have a good guess but if anyone watches it could they let me know.

I couldn't really tell either, it did look like it could be a plane or helicopter but not sure. Wonder who the person in the last trope scene was as well. Def improvement on last week, still loads of cringe shit in it though. The latest comic is not much better these days, it feels like the ideas are drying up although I am reading monthly now as would be TPs before so that makes a difference I would say.