Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:11:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Walking Dead S9

Started by Pinckle Wicker, October 03, 2018, 07:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Not too bad, and that is saying something( I am literally just saying something to keep the thread alive). I like the Whisperers and the mythology, fuck this show is finished without them.

AsparagusTrevor

I'm not saying it's good, I mean there's a lot of issues still, but it's definitely feeling improved at the moment. Henry needs to get dead though, he's only there to do unrealistically stupid things to cause conflict in the plot and he has an annoying face while doing it.

I think the Whisperers are the last decent storyline in the comics so it's downhill from here.

Hat FM

henry is there to do everything that carl does in the comics i think?

AsparagusTrevor

Yeah he's definitely the Carl surrogate in this story, since they made the baffling decision to kill Carl. Although, given how much Carl's character developed in the show and generally turned into a useful member of the group, it would've been out of character for him to be as much as an infuriating halfwit as Henry is.

Hat FM

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on March 07, 2019, 10:59:09 AM
Yeah he's definitely the Carl surrogate in this story, since they made the baffling decision to kill Carl. Although, given how much Carl's character developed in the show and generally turned into a useful member of the group, it would've been out of character for him to be as much as an infuriating halfwit as Henry is.

my opinion, based on nothing, is that chandler riggs (is that his name? how do i know that off by heart?) asked for a massive pay rise and they decided, what with rick off, that they didnt really need him that much. saying that, maybe andrew lincoln hadn't even quit by then?

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Hat FM on March 07, 2019, 10:29:14 AM

And Enid is the replacement character for Sophia.

kngen

Quote from: Hat FM on March 07, 2019, 10:29:14 AM

Having not read the comics this fills me with a dread as it suggests he's not going to die any time soon ...

Bad Ambassador

I'm reading the io9 reviews rather than watching the actual show (I'm three or so seasons behind), but I liked the suggestion that the movie they'll end up watching is The Phantom Menace, just so that everyone has to convince themselves they liked it. Purely for yucks, my choice would be Love Actually.

Hat FM

are the highway men in the comics or a tv creation?

as if he would have survived that fall having smashed his head. ridiculous.

good ep though.

Bazooka

Quote from: Hat FM on March 12, 2019, 09:45:19 AM
are the highway men in the comics or a tv creation?

as if he would have survived that fall having smashed his head. ridiculous.

good ep though.

The Highway Men are unique to the show. Not a bad episode overall, I mean half the characters don't exist in the comic, so its all just as plausible as Beta arising like Michael Myers. In the comics its rumored he is ex WWE or NFL athlete ,but even that shaft fall would end you.

Ant Farm Keyboard

The building was a mattress factory, with a dozen of them piled in the shaft.

kngen

Quote from: Bazooka on March 14, 2019, 01:31:41 PM
In the comics its rumored he is ex WWE or NFL athlete ,but even that shaft fall would end you.

Interesting. I had to look him up to make sure it wasn't Kane, as that fight scene was pure WWF. Turns out it's poor old Opie from Sons of Anarchy. Stopped watching pretty soon after he carked it in SOA. Maybe I'll do that with TWD, too.

Bazooka

Its Monday again, time to rush home and watch the AMC's The Walking Dead, a Michone heavy episode tonight gals and guys.

Bazooka

Turned it off 20 minutes in, not 19, not 21, but 20 minutes in, first episode I have never finished.

Gulftastic

Malcy

Still haven't watched but read the rundown this morning over the big comics scene. I feel just reading about it is enough to keep up with it. Surprised at one of the deaths but think they shat it a bit by not following the comics more.

Fear is back in a couple of weeks with Dwight crossing over. Abraham seems to be all buy confirmed for making an appearance in some part of TWD universe going forward as well.

If there's fans of the main show who haven't watched Fear or maybe gave up all I can say is stick with it. It's 1000x more rewarding and so much more interesting and prepared to take risks

Quote from: Malcy on March 26, 2019, 01:17:57 AM
Still haven't watched but read the rundown this morning over the big comics scene. I feel just reading about it is enough to keep up with it. Surprised at one of the deaths but think they shat it a bit by not following the comics more.

Fear is back in a couple of weeks with Dwight crossing over. Abraham seems to be all buy confirmed for making an appearance in some part of TWD universe going forward as well.

If there's fans of the main show who haven't watched Fear or maybe gave up all I can say is stick with it. It's 1000x more rewarding and so much more interesting and prepared to take risks

How is it going to work with Abraham? Surely he is dead in the timeline that runs with the two storylines?

TWD s09e15 The Calm Before -  is def worth a watch, depending on how far gone you are from the series. Looking forward to next weeks episode now and i haven't said that for sometime.

Malcy

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on March 26, 2019, 11:22:26 PM
How is it going to work with Abraham? Surely he is dead in the timeline that runs with the two storylines?

TWD s09e15 The Calm Before -  is def worth a watch, depending on how far gone you are from the series. Looking forward to next weeks episode now and i haven't said that for sometime.

I'm assuming hes going to appear in whatever the franchise is branching out with the various one off stories etc.

I think the last one I watched was episode 8 of this series. I've seen a few clips of the latest episode but I'm not real rush to catch up. Excited for Fear though.

Ah, I see.Abraham is going to be in the new spin-off series that has been on the rumour-mill then.

To be honest I have been half watching them really since the 2nd half of series 9 and it has been a struggle to pay attention. I don't know the names of any of that you new group who are kind of the main protagonists now, it would appear.
I agree that Fear is definitely surpassing TWD in better plot lines and characters now. It has a leaner more exciting story going on too, more in line with what I want out of a TWD tv series.

Bazooka

The prob with the 'Pike' scene is who gives a shit about dem heads, by this point anyone with the vaguest knowledge of the comics knows who will live and who won't and all the best characters who should still be alive are long gone, hell they just made an episode around that narrative tone.

kngen

I feel a bit sorry for the Highwaymen, who never even got to see the movie. That said, I reckon it was Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo (once the kids had been sent off to bed) so they may have dodged a bullet (but not a pike).

kngen

Wow, what a season finale that was, eh viewers?! Like Dr Zhivago with zombies, but somehow even more boring.

Bazooka

I remember it featured snow, that's all I really remember.

Hat FM

Negan will be in charge by the time Rick comes back.

Clownbaby

How many more times can they do the "big bad villain that the gang need to overthrow"  before people watching simultaneously realise this is a very rigid formula

Gulftastic

Quote from: Hat FM on April 03, 2019, 09:06:56 AM
Negan will be in charge by the time Rick comes back.

They do seem intent on giving him a face turn.

kngen

Anyone else get the feeling that they wanted to do a big setpiece for the river crossing, with the ice cracking and zombies falling in and freezing immediately, but the AMC budget department went '.... naaah' so they just had them emerge from under some polystyrene balls instead. Given that it was about the only bit of drama in the show, it was hugely underwhelming

surreal

Very anti-climactic - I was at least expecting that huge herd of walkers to be released in their direction.  Who was supposed to be on the radio at the end?

Bazooka

Quote from: Clownbaby on April 03, 2019, 11:51:11 AM
How many more times can they do the "big bad villain that the gang need to overthrow"  before people watching simultaneously realise this is a very rigid formula

It worked when they got the tone right, I think Neil Morrissey "guvna" got it right, since then they've not been been able to nail it, I don't think J.D Morgan is a bad choice for Neegan, but they have fucked up the tone of what he should be and the narrative arc. I think Andrew Lincoln saying "see ya later mate", on top of  the show having already made many divergences from the source material really sealed the deal. There are times when this programme hits the tone perfectly, hell even when its not based on source material, Beth and Noah in the police run hospital is a good example. I think they have cost problems.