Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:19:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Walking Dead S9

Started by Pinckle Wicker, October 03, 2018, 07:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 15, 2018, 04:00:40 PM
Are we supposed to just accept that Gabriel and Rosa are now shagging?

Probably will cause some tension with Eugene - who I really wish would fuck off with that stupid way of talking.

Rosita tho'... Christian Serratos is bloody gorgeous.

EDIT: new page added quote

Utter Shit

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 15, 2018, 04:00:40 PM
Are we supposed to just accept that Gabriel and Rosa are now shagging?

Yeah that baffled me as well. Ever since he went blind the women can't keep away from him.

AsparagusTrevor

They're taking "love is blind" very literally.

Golden E. Pump

I actually said "what the fuck?" when they kissed. Stinks of someone just throwing paint at the canvas in the writer's room.

Bazooka

I rate Seth Gilliam very highly as an actor, but Gabriel is so bad as a character now, will see if he gets the comic book version treatment.

Utter Shit

I watched an episode of The Wire the other day and FUCK he was so good as Carver. Even before you know all about his snitching. Gabriel is such a tedious drip by comparison, it's night and day.

Not really fair to compare anything to The Wire though - has anyone from that show done better work elsewhere? The handful I've seen a lot of (Elba, West, Clarke Peters) were all at their best in The Wire, although West was great in Appropriate Adult.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Michael B. Jordan did stronger performances after The Wire, but he was 15 at the time.

Utter Shit

Ah yeah good shout, he was probably the weakest of all the kids. Bodie and later Michael were fantastic.

Bazooka

Bloody hell even the dog in the latest episode was barking filler episode.

Have they always added in signs like they did with the drone shot? It looked like a new thing!
The intro looked promising with Rosita and what I assume is our potential next existential foe.  The rest of it was the usual meh (yet still I watch) with the usual scene where one of the group looks like he is going to get chomped only to be saved etc and the usual bad decisions. Also he never washed his hands after throwing the zombie hand on fire and then preparing his snake stew.

Ffs, why do I bother though.

Malcy

I think it's ended with enough for me to give it a chance again when it's back. Jesus's death was avoidable but he still got a decent final scene with his slow motion combat shite. That armour was pretty fucking useless though.

Bazooka

I actually thought they introduced the Whisperers pretty well regardless of the let's split up and run into a graveyard on a foggy night, it was like Scooby Doo.

His death seemed very obvious, although it's another big detour from the comic, I'd like to hear what SMBH thinks. But from the trailer for the next half of the season there is some hope they leave all this separate community scene setting nonsense alone and go full on Whisperers.

See you back here in February.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Bazooka on November 26, 2018, 10:14:18 PM
I actually thought they introduced the Whisperers pretty well regardless of the let's split up and run into a graveyard on a foggy night, it was like Scooby Doo.

His death seemed very obvious, although it's another big detour from the comic, I'd like to hear what SMBH thinks. But from the trailer for the next half of the season there is some hope they leave all this separate community scene setting nonsense alone and go full on Whisperers.

See you back here in February.

I've not watched the series since Rick's non-death but I do enjoy reading the AV Club's recaps and this thread, and have to say I was really disappointed to hear Jesus was killed off, he's one of the few fun and lively characters in the comic and the show could definitely do with more of those. Apparently the actor's glad he's dead though, saying "I was talking to the show-runners about this last year, and they were aware I was a little bit kind of bored and unhappy...Let's do something, kill some people, kill me, I don't care. Let's do some shocking stuff!"  https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/11/walking-dead-season-9-midseason-finale-jesus-death-interview

up_the_hampipe

I hope someone scalps Jesus and keeps his hair as a wig. Can't let that fantastic mane go to waste.

Golden E. Pump

Enjoyed that. I liked Jesus though, one of the few remaining characters I care about. I literally do not give a single fuck about Michonne, she can get to shite. Glad Maggie's gone too.

Interesting to see what they do now that Negan has escaped. Do they leave him out there in an unknown state for a while? Turn him face when you least escape it and save Michonne's life (I fucking hope not)? Or just more scenery-chewing villainous scheming as he joins forces with the Whisperers?

Yep, that was actually pretty good. Agree about Michonne getting to fuck. Why is Maggie away too, was that actually explained? I thought The Whisperers intro as really good too and it all felt a bit Left 4 Dead when they were running through the foggy forest and graveyard battle. Also sad to see Jesus go but it did need a kick up the arse a bit.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 26, 2018, 10:54:59 PM
I hope someone scalps Jesus and keeps his hair as a wig. Can't let that fantastic mane go to waste.

You should watch Samurai Cop.

Gulftastic

Bazooka

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on November 27, 2018, 08:41:58 AM
Yep, that was actually pretty good. Agree about Michonne getting to fuck. Why is Maggie away too, was that actually explained? I thought The Whisperers intro as really good too and it all felt a bit Left 4 Dead when they were running through the foggy forest and graveyard battle. Also sad to see Jesus go but it did need a kick up the arse a bit.

I usually watch this after a few drinks and thought I'd just forgotten, but Maggie seems to have just vanished, its no loss at all, the character is atrocious. The problem the show has now is that there are too few interesting characters left, both Gabriel and Carol are shadows of their former self. Aaron always seems like a nice lad though.

AsparagusTrevor

Maggie shitted off with Sandi Toksvig, presumably to help her go round imparting community wisdom to random people like an post-apocalyptic Littlest Hobo. It was mentioned passingly by Sadiq as if it made sense.

I actually quite liked the old-school horror vibe of this episode, the fog-machines and graveyard sets were like something out of Hammer. Even though I knew the Whisperers twist from reading the comics part of me wondered if they maybe could've gone all-in with the evolved walkers concept as they surprisingly sold it well enough.

Waste of Jesus though, I would've rather seen Eugene go, he's wearing thin and he doesn't seem to have learned to speak like a person in the years which have passed.

Hat FM

I liked Jesus. could have done so much more with the character. one thing though. was it supposed to be implied that he was having a secret relationship with aaron or were they just mates. I presumed the showrunners decided against making a big deal out of it? Maybe this is just my imagination.

Negan to be new Hilltop boss!

AsparagusTrevor

I'd say it was implied. We knew they'd been meeting for clandestine kung-fu sessions (or kung fun) and we all know how sexy martial arts can be.

His death was a bit weak though, I mean Rick survived much worse a few episodes ago.

kngen

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on November 28, 2018, 08:56:52 AM
Even though I knew the Whisperers twist from reading the comics part of me wondered if they maybe could've gone all-in with the evolved walkers concept as they surprisingly sold it well enough.

Yeah, they really don't know what to do with the walkers, do they? Having them evolve (or at least show signs of intelligence like in SO1E01) would have made them scary again. It was a good twist, with Jesus unfortunately being the one to go, but I think a breed of new super-walkers would have breathed some life (heh!) into the show a bit more forcefully.

Kryton

The foggy graveyard scene was great to be honest. Even if it is the most stereotypical setting for zombies, it worked! Also enjoyed the implied horror of evolving zombies, the herds circling back on them searching for Mullet guy. The whispering and the sounds carried on the winds. The stealth kills...

Genuinely good horror moments.

Malcy

Quote from: Kryton on November 29, 2018, 11:14:04 PM
The foggy graveyard scene was great to be honest. Even if it is the most stereotypical setting for zombies, it worked! Also enjoyed the implied horror of evolving zombies, the herds circling back on them searching for Mullet guy. The whispering and the sounds carried on the winds. The stealth kills...

Genuinely good horror moments.

It was a huge improvement on the past couple of years. How long since the outbreak is the show set now. Must be 10 years.

Hat FM

more importantly, how has 'dog' survived all these years? me and my housemate decided that he must have been stuck in a room with ten years of pedigree chum before he met daryl. a very disciplined dog.

Bazooka

Or what happened to all the guns, what has Eugene been doing instead of making bullets? And its the USA.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Bazooka on November 30, 2018, 10:35:12 AM
Or what happened to all the guns, what has Eugene been doing instead of making bullets? And its the USA.
He's been reading through his vast collection of thesauruses.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Hat FM on November 30, 2018, 09:36:39 AM
more importantly, how has 'dog' survived all these years? me and my housemate decided that he must have been stuck in a room with ten years of pedigree chum before he met daryl. a very disciplined dog.

That should be the next spin-off.

Bazooka

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on November 30, 2018, 11:49:16 AM
He's been reading through his vast collection of thesauruses.

Ha good one.